Owner of DJ Skirts is closing the business

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
The owner had been decreasing their product line over the past 3 years or so and only doing limited manufacturing runs at a time. He finally decided to close up shop, and is selling the business name to anybody who wants it.

DJ Skirts says "Goodbye"
Industry Founder closes business

After 18 years, I have decided to move into a new direction in life and close the business. I will likely accept the “best offer” to sell the DJ Skirts package of company brand name, website, product photos, product videos, email contact list, and available samples. While social media sites cannot be sold, administration will be turned over as part of this package - including the Facebook page with followers as well as the YouTube channel. The value is not intended to be based on sales, but rather the components mentioned herein.

If it interests you, there are a few reasons for this decision. The recent passing of my wife has left me without the energy and drive necessary to continue. I had made several commitments to her before she died, and in order to honor those promises, eliminating the time commitment to DJ Skirts will help ensure that I do all that I said I would do.

Another reason, is that I have been forced to accept that the market is simply too small for my ambitions while factoring in the cost of competing. DJ Skirts began in 1998. We did not have our first competitor until 2007, and after having built this industry niche, I now leave it in the hands of others, to take it from here.

No DJ Skirts products are available for sale now – including those few that are still in stock. No production runs will be made for any product. The website is planned to be shut down by June 30, 2016.

As the founder, owner, product designer, and Chief Marketing Officer since 1998, I thank you for having been a DJ Skirts customer/consumer. I welcome any letters of "recommendation" that could be presented to future prospective employers.
My personal e-mail address: [email protected]

Kindest Regards,

Steve Jones
847-603-8700

Wonder if it has anything to do with a lack of interest in the product...or something else?

Wonder if it has anything to do with a lack of interest in the product...or something else?

He stated that the market is too small, and he has many competitors. I will say that the pricing became high for his products in recent years. He also discontinued the Ruffled speaker stand covers he was selling (I believe he introduced that design). Ultimate Support came out with a similar design, then Scrim King and the others came into the market with their scrim designs.

Could be a sign of the times...DJs just aren't spending money on those types of products, or enough to stay viable in business especially with the various competition out there sucking up market share.

He stated that the market is too small, and he has many competitors. I will say that the pricing became high for his products in recent years. He also discontinued the Ruffled speaker stand covers he was selling (I believe he introduced that design). Ultimate Support came out with a similar design, then Scrim King and the others came into the market with their scrim designs.

Could be a sign of the times...DJs just aren't spending money on those types of products, or enough to stay viable in business especially with the various competition out there sucking up market share.

Traditionally DJ's spend very little on anything....The worst ones are the top level guys that speak down about others rates but brag when the beat someone down for a deal

The only way I would get in a business selling to DJ's is if it was no more than 25% of my market

Reactions: Dan The Man
Traditionally DJ's spend very little on anything....The worst ones are the top level guys that speak down about others rates but brag when the beat someone down for a deal

The only way I would get in a business selling to DJ's is if it was no more than 25% of my market

True. I think there was a good market for product companies when digital Deejaying came about for a while. Some companies did well introducing controllers to the market. However, that seems to be fading away as there has been a lot of innovation with controllers between say 2008 and 2014. Now it seems they can't figure anything new to come out with that has featured that DJs truly need. Controller sales are likely declining pretty good now. LED Lighting companies did well for a while introducing us to LED lighting effects and Up Lighting was all the craze for a few years. However, now every DJ has that stuff, and most DJs have realized there isn't much ROI in spending money on a lot of lighting so lighting seems to be simmering down now.

I didn't see much innovation at last year's DJ Expo at all. I wonder if there will be any this year.

All the esthetic stuff like facades, skirts, scrims, table toppers. ...Everybody seems to have that these days too, so those companies selling those products are seeing their sales numbers decline pretty fast. They better come out with something innovative and create a need with DJs if they want to continue in business the way I look at it.

If anything, lighting companies who want to continue to sell effects better roll out new battery powered effect lights. Going wireless for effect Lighting will be attractive to DJs. That might be a way to produce sales for another 5+ years or so.

It just seems the industry is going a bit stale as far as products are concerned. There isn't much anything new DJs NEED or really WANT as a group that has come out last couple of years. Battery powered speakers were somewhat attractive, but not sure how many of us have bought into the ones they have come out with so far.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I will say this: DJ Skirts made some great products. The downside is that they made them too well. The four products that I purchased from DJ Skirts over the past 15 years are still good as new... even simple things like table skirts. With no need to replace them, there was no reason to even think of DJ Skirts.

On a side note, that name... "DJ Skirts"... probably contributed to their demise.

True. I think there was a good market for product companies when digital Deejaying came about for a while. Some companies did well introducing controllers to the market. However, that seems to be fading away as there has been a lot of innovation with controllers between say 2008 and 2014. Now it seems they can't figure anything new to come out with that has featured that DJs truly need. Controller sales are likely declining pretty good now. LED Lighting companies did well for a while introducing us to LED lighting effects and Up Lighting was all the craze for a few years. However, now every DJ has that stuff, and most DJs have realized there isn't much ROI in spending money on a lot of lighting so lighting seems to be simmering down now.

I didn't see much innovation at last year's DJ Expo at all. I wonder if there will be any this year.

All the esthetic stuff like facades, skirts, scrims, table toppers. ...Everybody seems to have that these days too, so those companies selling those products are seeing their sales numbers decline pretty fast. They better come out with something innovative and create a need with DJs if they want to continue in business the way I look at it.

If anything, lighting companies who want to continue to sell effects better roll out new battery powered effect lights. Going wireless for effect Lighting will be attractive to DJs. That might be a way to produce sales for another 5+ years or so.

It just seems the industry is going a bit stale as far as products are concerned. There isn't much anything new DJs NEED or really WANT as a group that has come out last couple of years. Battery powered speakers were somewhat attractive, but not sure how many of us have bought into the ones they have come out with so far.

I bought a couple of items many years ago from DJskirts and I will say the quality was always good to great but it was always seriously over priced. I was just looking at the site there was a table topper there for $88 that I can buy here locally for less than 1/3 that price. Is the quality the same? Probably not but I can get 3 for 1 of something that really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. Something like skrims that you can't buy locally (here at least) might sell a bit but another good example was the speaker cover. It's $119 for a pillowcase with Velcro on it

I bought a couple of items many years ago from DJskirts and I will say the quality was always good to great but it was always seriously over priced. I was just looking at the site there was a table topper there for $88 that I can buy here locally for less than 1/3 that price. Is the quality the same? Probably not but I can get 3 for 1 of something that really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. Something like skrims that you can't buy locally (here at least) might sell a bit but another good example was the speaker cover. It's $119 for a pillowcase with Velcro on it
Are certain things over priced these days? Of course. Actually some things are well worth spending the extra money because it will last much longer and work much better. Ask any DJ who bought some cheap gear starting out that are still in business, what do they have now?

Are certain things over priced these days? Of course. Actually some things are well worth spending the extra money because it will last much longer and work much better. Ask any DJ who bought some cheap gear starting out that are still in business, what do they have now?

I agree mix it's all in what you put value in. Some people want $88 table cloths others buy much cheaper. Some buy very good wireless mics some much cheaper

I agree mix it's all in what you put value in. Some people want $88 table cloths others buy much cheaper. Some buy very good wireless mics some much cheaper
Some times it simply comes down to what you can afford at the time. I remember years ago buying a Numark mixer because that's what I could afford at the time. I stepped up my game and got a Denon X 500 mixer and immediately you could hear the difference. I'm in need some more wires to use my Yamaha S215 speakers. I can buy some cheaper wires from somewhere else but I like Live wire speakers. I can't remember the other brand that GC sells but both are great and well worth the price.

As for his wife dying I'm sorry to hear that and I do plan on sending him a sympathy email.

Some times it simply comes down to what you can afford at the time. I remember years ago buying a Numark mixer because that's what I could afford at the time. I stepped up my game and got a Denon X 500 mixer and immediately you could hear the difference. I'm in need some more wires to use my Yamaha S215 speakers. I can buy some cheaper wires from somewhere else but I like Live wire speakers. I can't remember the other brand that GC sells but both are great and well worth the price.

As for his wife dying I'm sorry to hear that and I do plan on sending him a sympathy email.

Mix, unless you can treat people here with the very same respect you desire, I don't think anyone will have a response for you.

Last edited: