Portable power

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
Asking for input here. I'm wondering if this would work for portable power needs on remote gigs. I'm assuming you'd have to connect it to a running vehicle's battery and have it powered off the alternator. 3000 continuous watts, which is more than a Honda EU2000. Your thoughts?

Energizer 3000-Watt 12-Volt Power Inverter-EN3000 - The Home Depot

I'm really kinda curious how fast this would drain a stand-alone, deep cell battery (with an alternator). As for a car's alternator, I'm not sure I see how it would cause any extra strain on the unit. Don't alternator put out a huge number of amps normally? Yes, you're running your car for 4-5 hours, but I really don't see that as being an exceptional wear and tear issue, as it's only happening a few times per year.

It's a modified sine wave inverter, so don't be surprised when you hear a nice buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz coming out of your speakers. I'm sure it's fine for anything else, but audio equipment and computers might not play nicely with it.

A Honda EU2000i, on the other hand, has a pure sine wave inverter. No buzz.

This article is a good read before you buy the inverter that you're considering.

It's a modified sine wave inverter, so don't be surprised when you hear a nice buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz coming out of your speakers. I'm sure it's fine for anything else, but audio equipment and computers might not play nicely with it.

A Honda EU2000i, on the other hand, has a pure sine wave inverter. No buzz.

This article is a good read before you buy the inverter that you're considering.

Thanks, Brendan. Good info. I've been reading thru a few website this morning. I'm still not sure how well the configuration would work but it sound like if I parallel my deep cell battery to the car's battery and use that to feed the inverter, it might actually be a decent solution. A couple of the sites actually suggested that you'd only need to crank the car every couple of hours to re-charge the batteries. Not sure how long you'd need it to run but it looks like most of these larger inverters have pretty good power monitoring on them. Keep in mind, I'm currently only doing a couple of events per year where remote power is an issue. These gigs can be done with tops-only and that rig is going to sip power, even with a couple of LED lights thrown into the mix. Most outdoor events, that would need this setup, typically run no more than 4 hours total. I'd just like to come up with a solution that can stay loaded up in my van and pulled out when needed instead of me having to go rent a unit, haul gas, then hassle with trying to keep it running.

No. the alternator only puts out as much power as is being drawn from it. So practically nothing sitting still at a traffic light, a lot more if you just started it (draining the batt) and running lights, trailer lights, stereo, TV in the back for the kids, etc.

If you have a small portable genset you can hear this for yourself - start and run it with no load, now add a load, say a drill or hedge clippers under load, maybe your whole DJ setup - and the engine will rev and change sound as the load increases.

Talked with a full time RVr with one of those 40' motor homes..he has 'one side all 110v' - meaning household fridge, microwave, washer/dryer etc. He has FOUR deep cycle batts in 'the basement' and says that can the appliances for 8 hours.
When he's running his genset, 2 A/c units and the 110v stuff he uses nearly a gallon of fuel an hour.

His previous camper used 2 of the honda 2000's and he had extended run tank for them as well - when running the a/c and such he'd get 13 hours out of the THREE tanks..

So yeah, the load on there will wear things out.

I'm really kinda curious how fast this would drain a stand-alone, deep cell battery (with an alternator). As for a car's alternator, I'm not sure I see how it would cause any extra strain on the unit. Don't alternator put out a huge number of amps normally? Yes, you're running your car for 4-5 hours, but I really don't see that as being an exceptional wear and tear issue, as it's only happening a few times per year.

Lots of inexpensive gensets out there. the honda is 'the' one, but there are others. I got a 1700w from costco and used it on my hedges (put it in the trailer and no need to drag a 150' of extension around to do the hedges, and ran a drill for the same reason. Cost me $450 at costco.

I don't see mine for sale anymore (home depot had a camo version for $700). but there are LOTS of choices...
Inverter Generators - Generators - Outdoor Power Equipment -  The Home Depot

My concern and forgive me if I'm wrong is would there be an issue with burning out a power strip with this? I ask this because I rented a generator once for a client doing 1 year old birthday party in a park and didn't rent the right generator. While playing I lost a power strip due to the generator not being strong enough. I learned my lesson. You say you would only be running tops but what about everything else you would be using? Laptop, controller and so on. Also what would you charge a client for using this? Would you just throw it in or would you charge for using it? Also lastly what if something were to happen while doing the gig to your vehicle that it wouldn't start after the gig using this unit?

Costco had the Generac for $500 a few months ago. I don't recall the black front, so maybe they have 2 different 2000w inverters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really hate the idea of buying a generator that I might use once per year.

I really hate the idea of buying a generator that I might use once per year.
I've used mine so many times, it's one of those things you don't realize how handy it is until you have one, I have some property it's been used there numerous times to run power tools, powers out at the house it will run the freezer, refrigerator, and a few lights, I've run a pump to pump out a flooded basement during a power outage, built a gazebo in my back yard 200 feet of extension cord or use the generator, I've had the power go out twice while DJing a wedding reception, guess what I could still DJ and have dance floor lighting, I received a huge tip that night

I've used mine so many times, it's one of those things you don't realize how handy it is until you have one, I have some property it's been used there numerous times to run power tools, powers out at the house it will run the freezer, refrigerator, and a few lights, I've run a pump to pump out a flooded basement during a power outage, built a gazebo in my back yard 200 feet of extension cord or use the generator, I've had the power go out twice while DJing a wedding reception, guess what I could still DJ and have dance floor lighting, I received a huge tip that night
Thankfully I've never had the power to go out while doing a gig. I get that some places are old and the electrical wiring is old too. Nothing changed in say 50 years. Also it can as well depend on how much gear you are using as well. I guess I've been lucky.

You definitely need 'pure sine wave interter' when running sensitive electronic equipment. I use the 600 watt model of this unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-...1&sr=8-5&keywords=go+power+inverter+pure+sine

These things are made in Victoria, British Columbia and are standard issue in any government vehicle requiring 110V power. Built to last at 21lbs and can handle a 6000 watt peak surge. Unfortunately, quality ain't cheap.

Here is a video review on my 600 watt unit.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R17J4...etail-glance&nodeID=15684181&store=automotive

You definitely need 'pure sine wave interter' when running sensitive electronic equipment. I use the 600 watt model of this unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-...1&sr=8-5&keywords=go+power+inverter+pure+sine

These things are made in Victoria, British Columbia and are standard issue in any government vehicle requiring 110V power. Built to last at 21lbs and can handle a 6000 watt peak surge. Unfortunately, quality ain't cheap.

Here is a video review on my 600 watt unit.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R17J4...etail-glance&nodeID=15684181&store=automotive
This the one? https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-...UTF8&qid=1471543775&sr=8-14&keywords=inverter

Reactions: maestro
Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RWKIL0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ceremony use & satellite speaker setup once a year. Have had good luck the last two years.
Last weekend the massive generators where not running when I set up. Just pulled inverter off the van and did my sound check. Catering gave me strange looks! How are you doing that??

So how long did you run your rig off the van-connected inverter? I can see a short run but to run it 5 or 6 hours is what I'd question. I'm still going back and forth on this. BTW, I saw an Energizer brand, 2800-watt generator yesterday that looks like it would have a 6-12 hour runtime on a tank of gas, at the typical DJ system load factor. That one might be worth another look at.

So how long did you run your rig off the van-connected inverter? I can see a short run but to run it 5 or 6 hours is what I'd question. I'm still going back and forth on this. BTW, I saw an Energizer brand, 2800-watt generator yesterday that looks like it would have a 6-12 hour runtime on a tank of gas, at the typical DJ system load factor. That one might be worth another look at.
For once or twice a year just rent, unless you have other reasons for owning one, I bought one before I knew I needed one now I get referral because I can offer remote power usually 3 - 5 a year, I charge an extra 300 to supply my own power, plus now that I have two generators I could also supply some additional power for lighting a tent or whatever other small power needs they may have, I paid for my generator in 4 rentals

Reactions: DJ TJ
For the little bit extra I would buy the generator but if you are going with that particular inverter make sure you have a power conditioner in the loop just in case any issues

Mine is a portable unit powered by a wheel chair battery. Used for ceremony's out in the boonies. Set the unit on the rock & roller , wheel to the site.
2.5 hours on a full charge. For a reception, 3300 generator. 6 to 9 hours on a tank.