Weddings Pricing policy and methods for disclosing rates

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Well I am the anomaly. I do not post prices online. For me the purpose of the site is to generate calls. The purpose of calls are to generate appointments. The purpose of appointments is to book work. That has worked for me.

I do charge significantly more than others. I don't charge per hour, I do provide unlimited time. Why? Because it's likely that I won't be booking a second event that day anyway, & the most important part of it is that the VENUE will call the time of the event. I let them be the party ender. I can count on one hand the number of times that it has gone more than an hour longer than anticipated.

Yes I do get a timeline for the event. I find out how long the venue is booked for. I set the timeline to make everything happen within that timeline. I show up early, am fully set up before anyone else shows up.

I think if your comparing your services to pest control or yard services, that is the first challenge. I don't market as a commodity. I am not selling DJ services, rather an entertainment experience. Some may say what's the difference. All I can say is that branding efforts & focused attention on creating something unique for each client has worked will for me. YMMV.

I also don't have issues with those that want to sell differently. I will say this. If your not booking successfully, the problem is with you, it's not the market, the economy, it's with you & how you present & sell your services.

Taking ownership of the lack of bookings empowers you to effect change on it that can lead to better results. When you blame other things & other people, while it might make you feel better, it leaves you powerless to make a change.

There are two lines of thought when it comes to making your price available. I've always thought that posting prices would lead to more inquiries rather than less (unless you are charging significantly more than others) With this being said Drax sums it up perfectly

"If your not booking successfully, the problem is with you, it's not the market, the economy, it's with you & how you present & sell your services."

Bingo!

To date, 20 wedding events for 2010 (17 to go) and the year is still young.

I get an inquiry, I do my job to get them to meet with me. There are ALOT of DJs in my area that are too effing cheap. $400-$600..We've been trying to raise the bar for a long time. Why so cheap? Mmmmm...

I'm with you.... a wedding is where brides and their families go friggin' nuts with the money. I would guess a grand for a Wedding DJ is sorta on the cheap side.

Come live in Cornville and you'll see how hard it is to get a grand for a wedding. ;)

Pricing will ALWAYS be dictated, to a degree, by the competition for a particular area. Just don't be afraid to NOT be the cheapest.

I am happy to provide a quote by email, phone, or in person. Whatever is convenient for the potential client is convenient for me. My close rate is about the same across all methods. We don't post prices on our website for a few reasons: first, because we travel extensively, transportation charges can be substantial and secondly, if they don't have to call for the 2 basic questions (price & availability) I can not guage how my marketing is working. I need to know how much INTEREST I am generating, then I also need to know of any objections such as price.

I need details of an event before i can quote a price. I've had people call and start off the conversation how much do you charge? They don't even give a name first. When this happens i ask for a name and then details as to the type of event, how many hours is the event to be, location of the event and so on. Then i'll determine a price for their event. I can give a price via email but don't really care to. I would like to at least talk on the phone to try to determine if we're a good match or it's an event that i would want to do. Just because they agree to a price doesn't mean it will be a gig i'm interested in doing.

We had pricing on our site for a while, along with packages. For us, it significantly dropped the amount of inquiries we got.

We have since done away with the packages, because we are only doing DJing now, no more video or photo service. Lighting is just a straight price add on (although we are getting ready to go to a two stage lighting price system)...and out rate is a flat hourly rate with a minimum of 4 hours booking for any wedding (we are also only doing weddings now). We have a differently hourly rate for local vs out of the area.

Patrick I actually find that changing up your pricing structure on a semi regular basis gives you power when people say "oh my cousin got it for this much".
You can then mention having changed your structure as you have restructured your company. IT seems potentials understand that better than other responses. Also helps cover off any past discounted events. Using a pricing set for up to X amount of hours has served me well over the yrs also.

I need details of an event before i can quote a price.
Why? When someone calls me for a price, I need to know where it's taking place to figure transportation. I know my system will book at $2800, add transportation, tell them what it includes, ask if they need any additional services. Done. They either have questions, have information to plan with, or book. sometimes all 3. It's rare that either they don't provide the location information (at least vague) or I can't determine it from their email address or other tidbits they may mention.

I would like to at least talk on the phone to try to determine if we're a good match or it's an event that i would want to do. Just because they agree to a price doesn't mean it will be a gig i'm interested in doing.
This is a whole different story than above. I would assume that with this attitude your schedule is amply full and your budget can handle turning down people who on the phone seem like someone you may not like....but according to your recent posts, it doesn't sound like you should afford such a luxury? I find there are few people I truly CAN'T or DON'T WANT to work with because I know the business. I've also found that first impressions can be deceiving. And, I prefer a paycheck to none in most circumstances given the choice.

When I used to be a consultant, we had 2 ways to price .. hourly/daily or custom. For most things, it was the published price sheet rates. Only when a consulting gig ran multiple weeks or required sub-contractors or some really custom component did we work up a price. Otherwise, we had hourly and daily rates as well as a travel table .. all with given prices.

Seems most DJ deals are similar. You know what it takes to do a job. Sure there are variables, but the small ones could be buried and the larger ones packaged, leaving only travel and that can be tabularized as well. I don't see how every job can be considered "custom" when the parameters are generally the same.

I think those that wish to do custom quotes are really interested in the face or phone time to help sell the deal .. that's fine, but at the same time there are lots of folks who won't even inquire if they have no ballpark figure on what you cost.

I guess an interesting question would be how many DJs here went from or to standardized pricing and did your overall revenue change? Yes I know things like the number of calls you might get might change if you do or don't publish pricing, but does it materially impact the bottom line?

So anyone wants to nickle and dime clients then go for it

hope your happy as I am

I run my Business MY WAY and you do it YOUR way

oh that will cost you 1500 for that advice as it clearly states on my privacy policy that is section 26 sub section 12 paragraph 9

have a nice day
(that is written on page 234 sub section 19 paragraph 3)

I get their number and they get a phone call. I will find out what they need and then give them a quote. I don't want to waste their time nor mine. After the quote I just keep talking and seeing what they want their wedding to be like. I give them some education and then send them a follow up email with the quote and a few photos of setup and that's it. It seems to work well for me, at this time we are up to 1,000 dollars for our services. We are either to much for them or just right. I'm very low pressure, I try to make the call light hearted, entertaining and let me personality come through.

My prices are posted on my website. It's the modern age. People expect to be able to shop for insurance, goods, hotels, airlines online. I know I do. If I don't see at least a "starting at", I don't even bother. Next!