Protecting equipment from rain

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

BryanK

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 28, 2016
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hi guys,

What are some methods you use/gear you use to prevent your gear from getting wet during load in/load out? It's been pretty wet around here lately, and I have a karaoke gig tonight as well as an outdoor wedding to do tomorrow. I'm thinking of covering my speakers with contractor trash bags to move them in and out for the gig tonight. Tomorrow however will be a completely different animal.

I already contacted the B/G and reminded them that under no circumstance will I set up in the rain for their ceremony(and I doubt guests would appreciate it either). Their reception is in a tent w/walls, but I've been dripped on in the past doing these sorts of gigs, and Lord help me if the wind is blowing.

What are some clever MacGyver-esque methods you all have used to prevent moisture from getting in your gear?? Any advice is appreciated as always!

I use large contractor (50 gal+) heavy duty bags (available at Home Depot and Lowes) to cover the speakers and gear as I pull them out.

That's what I'm going to use for load in/load out. I figure I'll just jack up my mains for the reception to get them closer to the roof in case wind-driven rain breaks through a sidewall seam. Sound be damned :eek:

Reactions: Ausumm
I have a gig in downtown Washington, D.C. tomorrow. The ceremony is suppose to be outside. I'm not doing the ceremony as they have a harpist, and hotel is providing a speaker and mic for them to use. I am in the hotel ballroom, but load in will still suck if the rain sticks around. I load in at 5 pm. I am hopeful that the rain start's clearing out of the area tomorrow early.

I have an outdoor tent wedding on Sunday. The ceremony is in a grassy field. I worry it's going to be very wet in that field on Sunday.

I also use contractor trash bags to cover speakers. The rest of my gear is in DJ Equipment bags, or Large Duffle Bags. I don't use heavy cases except for my mix stations are in a case. My Alto TS215s have speaker covers, but I don't have covers for my other speakers, or my sub at the moment.

Reactions: BryanK
That's what I'm going to use for load in/load out. I figure I'll just jack up my mains for the reception to get them closer to the roof in case wind-driven rain breaks through a sidewall seam. Sound be damned :eek:
In really inclement weather, I sometimes leave a bag folded up on top of each speaker so I can throw it over quickly if the rain kicks in. My tripods are aluminum, so not worried about them.

I generally won't use subs unless there is a platform .. I'm OK with the tripods getting wet/muddy and the cables can be cleaned. Bring heavy duty clear plastic (usually at Home Depot in the paint area) and good GAF tape to make a makeshift wall if needed or to cover any exposed gear.

Be sure to bring a couple of plastic grocery bags with you too. Place the power cord inside and tape end closed so connection will be out of rain water. Been caught in the rain while at gig. I was prepared by having a garbage trash back (black) opened and tied to the speaker stand. You'll be surprised that the speaker will play just fine covered with the bag. However, since all my speakers are self-powered (Active), I found myself checking for "overheating" while in the bag. As for subs they were also covered by large black trash bag. And, whenever it looks like the gig is going to be in the rain sometime during the event I place the subs on a milk crate (black) where I have secured a platform just large enough for the sub to sit. The platform is permanently affixed to the milk crate. Subs are also Active, so check them as well for heating. The power and XLR line cord where connected with line out from mixer have been run through the hand opening of the milk crate and thereby off the ground. The black trash bag covers the milk crate too.

Reactions: dunlopj and BryanK
If I know I will be outdoors, I prefer to use a passive system. If it will be a nice day (no wind) and out of the sun, I may choose to bring an active system.

I got the bag part covered, but using active speakers only. I don't have the option of passives. Do they make weather-proof breathable speaker covers anywhere? If not, I believe there is a market for some!

I got the bag part covered, but using active speakers only. I don't have the option of passives. Do they make weather-proof breathable speaker covers anywhere? If not, I believe there is a market for some!
Yes .. for some depending on brand. I know there are some for QSC tops.

We had all gear in SKB cases, speaker covers from the manufacturer. Many a night that equipment rode on the back of an open pickup through rainstorms and was loaded in/out in foul weather. Never a drop of rain got through.

For outdoor shows we had a set of carpet mats to place the larger speaker cabinets on. The mats have rubber backing.

For typical load in load out issues... I just rely on my cases. Plus, I'm often in a loading dock of some type. My cable box is not water proof, but would provide really good protection from anything but a total monsoon. And, I keep my wireless equipment and laptop in water tight SKB boxes, so no worries there.

That being said, I did have a light mist in the air on Saturday, and was doing an outdoor ceremony. It looked a tad silly, but I was able to come up with a workable solution that I felt comfortable with, and was still able to provide ceremony sound. I moved the standing mic to it's typical position before the ceremony started of course, and my wireless boxes and Bose stayed totally dry. Had it been a heavier rain, we had a rain plan, but I thought it worked well as a quick solution.

Attachments

• 14523038_10100717465645209_1303114412964038262_n.jpg
    14523038_10100717465645209_1303114412964038262_n.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 17
For typical load in load out issues... I just rely on my cases. Plus, I'm often in a loading dock of some type. My cable box is not water proof, but would provide really good protection from anything but a total monsoon. And, I keep my wireless equipment and laptop in water tight SKB boxes, so no worries there.

That being said, I did have a light mist in the air on Saturday, and was doing an outdoor ceremony. It looked a tad silly, but I was able to come up with a workable solution that I felt comfortable with, and was still able to provide ceremony sound. I moved the standing mic to it's typical position before the ceremony started of course, and my wireless boxes and Bose stayed totally dry. Had it been a heavier rain, we had a rain plan, but I thought it worked well as a quick solution.

LOL...you are right...it does look silly...I had a nice chuckle...BUT it worked!

For the very rare occurrence like that I almost feel like purchasing one of those giant Beach Umbrellas with a sturdy stand and set it up over the ceremony set up.

Oh just an idea I am stealing from one of my DJs.

...he uses a Speaker tripod with the Speaker stand pole taken out of it. He is then able to put a Large Beach Umbrella right into the spreaker stand and use the tripod as the holder for the umbrella. He does that in his back yard for BBQ or to put over a part of their above ground pool. ...It works!

Reactions: Andy A and BryanK
I'll chime in. For my wires, corded mic and EFX 500 I have a bag on wheels that I bought from Sin O Rama Sound in Totowa, NJ for $30. I plan to get another one as well. I had 2 but one of them was stolen somehow. I had a bar gig to do that night and when I got there that's when I noticed the bag wasn't in my van. UGH! I had my HD's in there along with my EFX 1000. I got the guy that helps me out to come there and help me so I could do the bar gig. He brought his HD so I could have music to play and some wires. Nobody else knew what happened except my GF. I did a nice job believe it or not. I didn't show my anger at all. I will take a couple of pictures tomorrow and post how the bag looks. I love it because it has wheels and the handle is adjustable.