Rolling carts

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
My rnr 10 is 10 yes old and working great.

Like many things, it comes down the the situation.

For me, I love the small footprint of the rnr as it allows me to use it in smalls vehicles.

I can't say it's better than others as I haven't tried them.

But it works excellent for me

Okay, I may regret this, but, DIY it is. Bought a pre-cut, 2'X4'X1" piece of birch (kinda soft, I know). I have an assortment of casters in the storage unit, so will likely start off with that. Bought sections of 1/2" black metal pipe and fittings and will use pipe plates to attach to the decking with 5/8"X1.5" bolts to form a "U". Will likely get larger wheels, if the handle connections prove sturdy enough. This rig should be easy enough to maneuver, drive right up into the van, and big enough to take all of my misc stuff in one load. That will put me at 2 trips to the van for a typical gig. We'll see how this works out.
sounds heavy and not very collapsible

sounds heavy and not very collapsible
^^^^
I agree with what Tunes said... One of the best things about the RnR is that it's SO versatile. I can stretch it out so it fits both subs and my controller case, or I can collapse it to a smaller size for carrying my JBL speakers and small rack. Mine is only a little over a year old, so it may not be the better built version, but it's working just fine for me. I paid around $99 for it. That's a GREAT deal even if it breaks sometime in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big carts are fine if you have a trailer. For those of us that pack into a SUV, the cart has to pack in there as well and the RnR does that just fine.

I'm with Cap, The magliner is a buy once use forever item.

Magliner Convertible Sr. Hand Truck with Solid Wheels H-1006 - Uline'

I've had mine for 20 years, and a smaller two wheel version with extendable tongue for smaller gigs. They are aluminum - which is lighter and won't rust. No plastic parts, and no weak mechanical joints or cantilevers.

It is probably the single most repeatedly borrowed item I have on set any event.

I have never owned a R&R but, enjoy a chuckle at every DJ I pass struggling with his broken R&R. It's rare to see a DJ with one or more R&Rs that aren't broken in some way.

Move to all light weight equipment, and don't over pack your cart, and you should be fine for years to come. My $39 Harper cart is rated to 400 lbs. There isn't enough room to load 400 lbs of gear on it. My speakers weigh 36 lbs each. No more heavy amp. My heaviest lighting fixture bag is maybe 40 lbs. My Cords and Cables bag weighs near 50 lbs, and my other cables bag is maybe 25 - 28 lbs. Any combination of items on that cart won't amount to over 200 lbs.

Moving forward...with how light equipment has become, I don't see why having a super awesome cart it necessary unless you plan to still haul the old heavy stuff around for a long period of time.

I have never owned a R&R but, enjoy a chuckle at every DJ I pass struggling with his broken R&R. It's rare to see a DJ with one or more R&Rs that aren't broken in some way.
Ditto.

DIY and RnRs are frequently seen causing stress for their users.

The RnR's twist and rack very easily in my experience (have helped a few lift a few at less than friendly loading docks)...always feels like thin gauge material.

Highly recommend the deck plate accessory and am considering upgrading to the non-skid version.

I rarely see other djs bringing equipment in. In the few times I do, I don't get close enough to look at the brand of cart they use or notice if they are struggling or not.

My only concern would be if I was struggling or not. If I was having the slightest issue with the rnr, I'd look elsewhere, but I'm not.

Like most things, there are advantages and disadvantages to each.
I'm not putting down a magliner. Look like fine products. would probably last a long time. But not for every situation.

For the same 500lb capacity, a magliner is 51" while a rnr can be 28". The overall weight is 45lbs for a magliner vs 22lb for a rnr.

I bought your basic convertible one from Home Depot. (converts from 2-wheel truck to 4-wheel cart)
It was less than 60-bucks and has lasted me for years.
Since I got new speakers, I have a different load in, so I am also considering customizing it.
Basically, I am gonna attach a piece of plywood on the "bed" that is sized to fit the main items I need to move.
(the mixer rack, speakers, subs, cables)
I'll probably put carpet on it to avoid slippage and damage.

It has two pneumatic wheels, that are big and flexible, so it travels well over bumps and holes.
(yes, they can go flat, but I have a compressor at home anyway)
The small wheels on the other end are solid plastic...and I also plan to replace those with large casters
that are smoother running, less noisy, and less prone to cause damage.
so it cost you $60 bucks and you are going to add 4 new wheels and and a top.

I have had my R&R for at least 5 years and 2 of those were on Maui going over sand, gravel and grass at 75% of my events... I did have 1 wheel bend on me and had it re-welded, other than that, they have been solid.... we each have had good & bad experiences with the same gear.... unless you hear nothing but bad about something it will be hard to make a decision. :)

so it cost you $60 bucks and you are going to add 4 new wheels and and a top.

I have had my R&R for at least 5 years and 2 of those were on Maui going over sand, gravel and grass at 75% of my events... I did have 1 wheel bend on me and had it re-welded, other than that, they have been solid.... we each have had good & bad experiences with the same gear.... unless you hear nothing but bad about something it will be hard to make a decision. :)

He's replacing the front plastic wheels - unless he has some cart from Mars, that's only 2 wheels.

;)

Reactions: Ausumm
For the same 500lb capacity, a magliner is 51" while a rnr can be 28". The overall weight is 45lbs for a magliner vs 22lb for a rnr.

I would not put 500lbs on a RnR. That is where your numbers fall short - the 500lb rating only applies when the unit is in it's smallest configuration. It's made of steel so, at 22lbs it's not very robust. Once you extend the tubing those specs drop significantly. DJs are notorious one-trip Charlies who ruthlessly overload. I have never seen a DJ using the RnR in it's short 28" position, and rarely with a well thought out load. I've heard that the new RnRs have improved - unfortunately the DJs have not. :) (I'll admit that the photographers I see using RnRs are quite happy with them - because their gear is lighter and they don't overload them.)

The Magliner is aluminum and at 45lbs it's seriously robust. It supports 500# in all configurations without stress, flex, or twisting, and it can even be taken over a few steps when properly loaded. They come in different sizes, and I have three different versions that I use depending on the venue and gear roster.

I think my real point on the Magliner is that it is more cost effective because you buy it once and repair it never. The first thing a lot of DJs do with a RnR is replace the wheels, often repeatedly. The second thing they do is throw it away. :)

I would not put 500lbs on a RnR. That is where your numbers fall short - the 500lb rating only applies when the unit is in it's smallest configuration. It's made of steel so, at 22lbs it's not very robust. Once you extend the tubing those specs drop significantly. DJs are notorious one-trip Charlies who ruthlessly overload. I have never seen a DJ using the RnR in it's short 28" position, and rarely with a well thought out load. I've heard that the new RnRs have improved - unfortunately the DJs have not. :) (I'll admit that the photographers I see using RnRs are quite happy with them - because their gear is lighter and they don't overload them.)

The Magliner is aluminum and at 45lbs it's seriously robust. It supports 500# in all configurations without stress, flex, or twisting, and it can even be taken over a few steps when properly loaded. They come in different sizes, and I have three different versions that I use depending on the venue and gear roster.

I think my real point on the Magliner is that it is more cost effective because you buy it once and repair it never. The first thing a lot of DJs do with a RnR is replace the wheels, often repeatedly. The second thing they do is throw it away. :)

The rough terrain wheels are pretty good on my RnR 12RT .. and I don't get anywhere near that weight. If I pack my speakers in one trip, I'm under 200 pounds with any config. And the lighting I bring plus electronics are also under 200, so 2 trips and no issues. I suppose if I tried to fully extend it and fully load it, there may be an issue, but the fact it compacts down and fits in easily sold me.

Nothing wrong with a Magliner, but most handtrucks are better for ramped travel and I don't have that. If I was moving large gear, it may be different.

The rough terrain wheels are pretty good on my RnR 12RT .. and I don't get anywhere near that weight. If I pack my speakers in one trip, I'm under 200 pounds with any config. And the lighting I bring plus electronics are also under 200, so 2 trips and no issues. I suppose if I tried to fully extend it and fully load it, there may be an issue, but the fact it compacts down and fits in easily sold me.

Nothing wrong with a Magliner, but most handtrucks are better for ramped travel and I don't have that. If I was moving large gear, it may be different.

I'm long beyond using a car or mini-van for DJ work so the knockdown size is not an issue for me. That's also true of most of the other DJs I encounter. Once you move into trucks it makes no sense to be using anything other than a commercial dolly or cart. I'm thrilled at how much I can safely transport on a Magliner with tie downs. Some venues can be 1/10 - 1/4 mile along with elevator rides from loading dock to space.

Reactions: steve149