Rolling carts

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
No, the handles are not removable. That is 1/2", steel pipe, 36" tall and 18" width and they're bolted down to the platform. As for cost, I think I paid a little over $100 for the materials (although I re-used some casters I already had). I've already bought another set of larger casters and I'm really thinking to just get another platform and build a 2nd unit, this time with either 3/4" or 1" piping. If I put those LS801p subs side by side, towards the front of the van, the trucks would just wheel in and could hold everything needed, even for lighting jobs. Last night, this rig cut my load time down considerably, even with the little set-backs. The venue mgr made mention about how quick I was getting out the door as compared to normal.

The problem I see with RNR carts is width. Aren't they like 13" wide? That seems pretty easy to tip over.
Platform is 13" (but you can put a deck on it) .. but the wheels are 18" apart .. at least on my R12RT.

Reactions: sonic-vision
The problem I see with RNR carts is width. Aren't they like 13" wide? That seems pretty easy to tip over.
Surprisingly, the RnR carts are pretty stable, but it does help if you load it with the heaviest stuff on the bottom. I load mine with my subs and controller case on the bottom, strapped down with mover's straps. Then I put my 10" tops in their cases, and my 8" monitors in their cases on top, secured with bungee cords attached to the straps. Then I put a speaker stand bag, with two stands inside, on top, and secure it with bungee cords. Still doesn't even come close to tipping over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: maestro
No, the handles are not removable. That is 1/2", steel pipe, 36" tall and 18" width and they're bolted down to the platform. As for cost, I think I paid a little over $100 for the materials (although I re-used some casters I already had). I've already bought another set of larger casters and I'm really thinking to just get another platform and build a 2nd unit, this time with either 3/4" or 1" piping. If I put those LS801p subs side by side, towards the front of the van, the trucks would just wheel in and could hold everything needed, even for lighting jobs. Last night, this rig cut my load time down considerably, even with the little set-backs. The venue mgr made mention about how quick I was getting out the door as compared to normal.

Rick Im not gonna bust your ball but for 69.95 you could of got this
100_2986.jpg 100_2988.jpg

I've had my RNR cart for over 20 years. The only problem I've encountered is rough terrain. The wheels aren't made for mud, sand, thick grass etc. One feature I like is the wheel brake. And of course the expandability is great. I'll set it smaller for ramps with tight turns or smaller elevators.

I'm building out my 2nd DIY flatbed this weekend. The plan is that I'll have 2 of these units, one loaded with my main DJ system and the 2nd will stay loaded with lighting. It looks like that, in addition to these DIY units, I'm going to need a RnR as well. We have a photography/photobooth gig coming up at the end of January and I won't be driving the van to that gig. I'll actually need something that can fold up and fit in my wife's car trunk (Nissan Altima). I'm thinking either an R2RT ($69) might be a good choice. For photo gigs, we have a large suitcase, 3 camera bags, and for this gig a printer case that's about 15"X15". Ricky, if you've got a link that Harper Cart, I'd like to see it.

For me, I have very few weekends to do personal things. When I do have time, the last thing I'm going to do is build something myself that's already made and tested to save $100-$200 bucks.

If space isn't an issue, I'd get the big one mentioned. If it is, get an rnr. Enjoy your time off.

I'm building out my 2nd DIY flatbed this weekend. The plan is that I'll have 2 of these units, one loaded with my main DJ system and the 2nd will stay loaded with lighting. It looks like that, in addition to these DIY units, I'm going to need a RnR as well. We have a photography/photobooth gig coming up at the end of January and I won't be driving the van to that gig. I'll actually need something that can fold up and fit in my wife's car trunk (Nissan Altima). I'm thinking either an R2RT ($69) might be a good choice. For photo gigs, we have a large suitcase, 3 camera bags, and for this gig a printer case that's about 15"X15". Ricky, if you've got a link that Harper Cart, I'd like to see it.

Harper Trucks 400lb Nylon Dolly and Cart - Walmart.com

That is the cart that I have. It use to cost only $38.99 back in 2009. Now it cost $58.99 on sale. Apparently Wal mart stocks a smaller green harper cart that is a lower weight limit now for $38.99.

It is not foldable though. For a smaller foldable cart, I recommend the Jamstands Karma Cart by Ultimate Stands. It costs $89.99 - $99.99 new at most places. It is rated at 200 lbs. I believe it will extend longer than the RnR R2T. It extends to 44.5 inches where the R2T extends to 38 inches I think.

I have a Jamstands KC80 cart .. seems to be a rip-off of the RnR carts, but my RnR 12RT is better built.

I have a Jamstands KC80 cart .. seems to be a rip-off of the RnR carts, but my RnR 12RT is better built.

I agree. I have the same jam stands cart. It is a real 200 lb limit. Actually, I have bent the welds on the push bar trying to move 150 lbs. I have to hammer the weld back in so I can push the cart. ...The jam stands cart has been great outside of that. It's better built for under 125 lbs safely. I think it would fit the bill for what Rick is looking for.

It works for me now .. I have lightened my load enough that I don't carry more than 150 pounds total, but the tires on the RnR 12RT handle uneven sidewalks far better (they're much larger).

I have a Harper from Sam's from years ago - It's a convertible - 2 and 4 wheel hand truck. I think it was rated for 600 or 800 pounds - big air filled back tires. I changed the front wheels to caster 200 lbs rated nylon wheels.

I'll actually need something that can fold up and fit in my wife's car trunk (Nissan Altima).
I don't know about the newer R&R carts, but when I first got mine (in the 90s) it turned out to be heavier than I thought it would be. I wouldn't recommend using for most women. And I hate getting gear out of a car's trunk because nothing slides out. Hard on the back.

It takes a while to get the knack of using a R&R cart with good body mechanics etc.

Well, I finished putting together my 2nd cart today. Same platform but I used 4" caster and 3/4" steel pipe. It's amazing how much stronger the 3/4" is over 1/2". I also fixed the broken wheel on my ls801p sub and replaced the 2nd one while I was there (it was about to shatter). Looks like those yorkie wheels aren't good for more than a couple of seasons and I'm thinking to replace them with 4". The van is now loaded a lot better. I pushed the two subs up towards the front then load one cart with sound and the other with lighting. Should be very efficient now with less lifting. Just roll them off the ramp.