Same Library For Multiple Systems

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Interesting thought.

Most will agree that if you have one master set of music and two systems you are safe sending that second system out on a night you are not working.

But how different is that than as long as you are not playing the same song at the same time you are covered? You own one copy of the song so as long as 2 systems are not playing the same song at the same time only one copy is being used??

The only was to fix this Grey area is the music industry should just give DJ's the music for free for the promotion that is done for the artist.

Option 2 that I feel would work is a annual music license for DJ's

1 original set, 16 copies. Original never leaves the house and all the copies are either CD burns or MP3s.

Never seen or even heard of anyone being asked to produce a license or any kind of legal documentation.

1 original set, 16 copies. Original never leaves the house and all the copies are either CD burns or MP3s.

As someone who's written a few songs, recorded some music, and for whom performing music makes up a sizable chunk of a lower middle class income, there's a whole lot I'd love to say to you in this post.

But the rules of this forum prohibit me from doing so.

I'll simply wish that you be infected with flesh-eating bacteria.

As someone who's written a few songs, recorded some music, and for whom performing music makes up a sizable chunk of a lower middle class income, there's a whole lot I'd love to say to you in this post.

But the rules of this forum prohibit me from doing so.

I'll simply wish that you be infected with flesh-eating bacteria.

+1 Agreed....

While the music police might not be knockin down your doors that doesn't mean they can't or wont....

I'll say what Moonrider didn't.... you are a thief if you copy your music collection over to multiple rigs that can be used concurrently... it does not matter if you somehow through the magic of the cosmos play the same song at the same time on 2 or more systems or not the fact that you duplicated from a single source makes it illegal.

Whew... with that said... just who is going to bust ya for it???? There in lays the rub don't it...

I imagine there have been some larger multi ops caught at it.

Microsoft made news years ago when their first Windows utility was released by nailing multiple copy users. Puters didn't come with Win back then so office managers would buy one copy and install it on several machines.

MS said no way and took a few of 'em to court. MS won the cases.

Whew... with that said... just who is going to bust ya for it???? There in lays the rub don't it...

Rob,
Karma is a bitch.
EDIT: 1:1 COPY IS ACCEPTABLE AS LONG AS YOU'RE NOT USING BOTH COPIES AT THE SAME TIME. 1:16=WHERE THE COPS AT????

Rob,
By no means I'm trying to gang up on somebody but the following post is worth 1000 words.

limewire, shreazza, airesgalaxy and youtube if the quality is good and I really need the song.

The AVLA is the only agency that can do anything, and their "mandate" or whatever says specifically, they are not an enforcement agency. The don't even have the budget to do anything other than look around eastern Canada.

If they do stop by, they give you a card and ask to set up an appointment. Where I gladly show them my originals. They wont have a clue how many rigs I have. They have no jurisdiction to look at my books, even if I had any. I do this out of my garage.

At most I'll have to buy a single license for $110.25 which will allow for copies.

How many of you use Itunes or Amazon? Ever read the User License? Not for public use. So you pay $2 for a song you can't legally use anyway. Most of the DJs around here do the same thing. I'd call it Standard practice. So unless the AVLA gets all of us, they can't touch one of us.

I've been on here long enough to see that some of you are just as cheep as I am and probably just as shady. It's a business and it's not fair. Some of you say there should be some standards, well when you all get together and come up with some and find a way to enforce it; I'll retire. Until then you do it your way, I'll do it mine.

I do get some ideas here and put a couple to use. I like to compare what some of you do with what I know the DJs around my area do. Everyone has their methods and its interesting. Some of you call yourselves professionals, other artists. Some even use other names and acronyms. I'm a DJ. I play music, people dance and I announce the mid night lunch. No bells no whistles and people pay what I ask and I get tips.

Its not rocket science which is why so many people get into this business.

Well, I have to give credit where credit is due!

Discount, at least stands up for his total lack of principals, there is honor amoung thieves!

But (there is always a but) if he really believes what he says here he would use his name and actual location instead of being an anonymous!

Personally I think he is pulling chain just to see what kind of rise he can get (I know I have done it myself from time to time)!

Well, I have to give credit where credit is due!

Discount, at least stands up for his total lack of principals, there is honor amoung thieves!

But (there is always a but) if he really believes what he says here he would use his name and actual location instead of being an anonymous!

Personally I think he is pulling chain just to see what kind of rise he can get (I know I have done it myself from time to time)!

He wont... and I would fall over in shock if he put one shred of actual information about himself or herself on the board or in a profile.... I'm guessing he's in Canada somewhere though. At least that explains a little bit about his lack of regard for US copyright law.... he's got ALVA whoopie!

From the AVLA

There are two types of licences:

1.Physical Carrier Licence
?Permits you to reproduce sound recordings on up to 100 physical carriers; cassettes, mini-discs, CD-Rs, for $147 + GST/HST per calendar year.
?If you are making more than 100 physical carriers, you'll require one or more additional licences.

2.Standard “All-in-one” Licence
?Permits you to compress sound recordings into an MP3 format and store them on one (1) computer hard drive source and unlimited physical carriers for $331.55 + GST/HST per calendar year. You may reproduce as many sound recordings as you can fit on your hard drive or CD-R's - no limit. A back up copy is also permitted, provided that the sound recordings are not performed in public.
?Storing sound recordings on more than one (1) computer hard drive requires an additional licence for each additional hard drive

Never seen or even heard of anyone being asked to produce a license or any kind of legal documentation.
If that claim, unlike the alleged libraries and the perpetrators, is legitimate, I wish you complete and total misery and hope you suffer alone or in the company of similar thieves

RIHMF.

If not and that post simply an attempt to annoy, stay anonymous, it's appropriate.

The AVLA is the only agency that can do anything, and their "mandate" or whatever says specifically, they are not an enforcement agency. The don't even have the budget to do anything other than look around eastern Canada.
So you are Canadian. Now your proclivities for having others shoulder expenses for your benefit seems understandable... disgusting, retched, and revealing, but understandable...Québécois?

I've been on here long enough to see that some of you are just as cheep as I am and probably just as shady. It's a business and it's not fair. Some of you say there should be some standards, well when you all get together and come up with some and find a way to enforce it; I'll retire. Until then you do it your way, I'll do it mine.

I do get some ideas here and put a couple to use. I like to compare what some of you do with what I know the DJs around my area do. Everyone has their methods and its interesting. Some of you call yourselves professionals, other artists. Some even use other names and acronyms. I'm a DJ. I play music, people dance and I announce the mid night lunch. No bells no whistles and people pay what I ask and I get tips.

Its not rocket science which is why so many people get into this business.
Please disregard my prior suggestion that you should remain anonymous. You should reveal yourself and serve as an example of perfection...I can think at at least ONE way in which you are perfect.

P.S. RIHMF, please.