Weddings Saturdays Wedding

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

redhotdj

Its 5 O'clock somewhere
Mar 21, 2008
Richfield Springs n.y.
My wife and I had the great pleasure to do Caton & Mikes wedding Saturday May 23. The event was held at a place called Hogs Hollow. Its a old barn that they turned into a reception venue. Now when you rent this place all you get is the barn you have it for all day but you have to supply the tables, chairs, silver ware, everything. They have no kitchen so you need a caterer or someone to supply and serve food, they do have a bar area but there again you need a bar tender and you need alcohol. The Inside is very nice and rustic and out back they have a huge cement platform for people to sit at and enjoy the scenery.
Caton & Mike were a pleasure to work with she is a teacher in Rochester and he works on his farm, so being they are a great distance from us most all of our info was by email and just last Sunday we got to meet with them for the first time. They wanted their day to be easy and fun and that's just what they got. We were to start at 5:30 to 10:30 but she asked if we could do the ceremony for her also which was no big deal, but now we need to be there by 1:30 to get set up for it. All she wanted from us for the ceremony was the use of my mic so everyone could hear them. They had a quartet play as people were coming in and 10 or so minutes after the exchanged of vows then we took over from there. All I can say its was a great day and a great group of people. When we got around to the dancing part of the night the first couple of songs no one was dancing and I thought dam this is going to be a long night then my third song they came and never left the dance floor, We're a party waitin to happen and they were the party people. This barn has No heat so around 9 o clock it started to get a little cool and by 10:30 they were ready to call it a night.

100_2740.jpg 100_2745.jpg 100_2743.jpg 100_2744.jpg 100_2742.jpg

Tig, I agree ... I know you had nothing to do with it, but the bottom of pulled drapes should never be wider than the rod they're on.

I still think DJ signs/banners are a no no, but if they work in your area,,, fine..

I've always been on two minds with signs. I used to use one as a table skirt and stopped doing it but I often think the first thing anyone will tell you about marketing a business is to put your name on any flat surface you can. Seems DJ's are the only ones that are shy about this

My three observations. And these are just personal preference so take them for what they are worth.
1) I worked for a multi-op for 18 years. They put up a banner at every event. I never once heard of any client saying they hired us because they saw our banner at an event. Although I had a few come up and say what company are you with. So when I went solo I decided against a banner.
2). 8" or 15" Velcro wire ties can be found at Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart. You attach them to your stands, and then run your wire straight up the back and to your inputs, cleans it up a little. (Although your don't look bad). It may clean them up a little bit.
3) very few people I see open there stands fully. I do know some companies warn in their instructions that if the stands are not open until the thin crossbars are parallel to the floor (or 90degrees from the center post) that it can void the warranty. When the legs are not fully open, your liability insurance could deny a claim if your stand gets knocked over or collapses). The reason for this is 2 fold, first the legs are not fully extended which reduces stability, second when the thin cross brace is not 90degrees from center. Then the cross brace winds up bearing the load instead of the weight getting transferred to the more robust legs where the weight belongs). I have seen pictures of a failed stand that got sent back for warranty, and they can tell right away by the way it breaks if they will cover it under warranty or not)

Here's my opinion: I hope it helps you in booking higher end functions, but if you are adamant about using the banner regardless, then ignore what I say.

The banner at a private event is just cheesy/tacky. You can also ask any high end client, and they will tell you they DO NOT want a banner showcasing the DJ's company info at their wedding. Also, the focus should be on the bride and groom. You shouldn't be drawing attention to your business, and treating their elegant affair like a trade show that you are advertising at.

I have worked with planners who mentioned their experience with a DJ who had a big banner, and decided it was cool to put his business cards on every table during dinner. She said the DJ was very mediocre at best, and due to the banner and cards on tables, she won't refer him.

Doing a casual back yard birthday party? Maybe a community pool party...Sure, go ahead and put the banner up if you want.

Weddings, or upscale corporate work...the banner should not be up.

rednot, not wanting to pile on but I'd have to agree (pretty strongly) with what Ricky just said. To me, a banner like that screams "Bozo the DJ" and in no way does it denote a high-end, polished professional. It's kinda like those DJs who use the numark speakers with the blinky lights built in. It's cheesy and low-class. I'd generally say stick to business cards on your table (not guest tables) or, as an alternative, go have a small metal plate made and stick it on a front board. Of course, on a gig at "Hogs Hollow", in a barn, it probably doesn't matter at all. ;)

that's OK I got big shoulders, but let me first say this every wedding Ive done I always ask the bride if they mind me using my table cloth with my business name on and I show them a picture of it. I have NEVER had a bride tell me NO and the same goes for my folding business card I put 3 to a table. And as for corporate stuff try telling Ford Motor company, or Nike not to use a banner at a event they are doing. Cheesy, tacky call it what you want I call it advertising. 90% of the time everyones attention is on the bride and groom not ME.

that's OK I got big shoulders, but let me first say this every wedding Ive done I always ask the bride if they mind me using my table cloth with my business name on and I show them a picture of it. I have NEVER had a bride tell me NO and the same goes for my folding business card I put 3 to a table. And as for corporate stuff try telling Ford Motor company, or Nike not to use a banner at a event they are doing. Cheesy, tacky call it what you want I call it advertising. 90% of the time everyones attention is on the bride and groom not ME.

Ford motor company and Nike are not in the wedding business. They advertise at PUBLIC Events. Not family milestones.

You might be asking the bride if it's okay if you put your logo out there, but is this after they have booked? Perhaps they feel put on the spot, and maybe answer "sure, no problem we're ok with that" reluctantly, however in the back of their mind they are thinking I don't want that banner being flown at my wedding.

You know the old saying "If you have to ask about it, you probably already know the answer"

Would you ask the bride if it's okay if you have a couple of beers while you perform? You think that by asking that question they will go "Absolutely NOT OK with me...you can't drink anything". If you ask, you are probably putting them on the spot, and they might say "oh it's okay if you have a couple, just don't over do it" ....

However, I don't know your clientele, so I can't vouch for them. I just would NEVER put up a banner at a wedding at some wedding mansion or typical wedding venue with out door ceremony that is typical for me to play at.

I had a banner made when I was a much younger DJ, and after using it a few times at weddings way back in 2003/2004 I realized how negative it was.

Personally I would never put a banner up but hey I've only performed at 1000 or so weddings. It just looks cheap. Just my opinion everyone here knows what they are doing and what works for them. Important things to remember to be a success. Look professional, have everything neat and clean. Dress professional...Look the part. You are a huge part of the couple's day but it id the couple's day....

You know, the peanut gallery (me included) might be missing something here. If you look at the pic, it's in a barn, probably not the most classy venue and, by extrapolation, perhaps red's typical clients aren't at the top of the society ladder (no offense, red). If these are the kinds of events that he's landing, a banner and perhaps even cards on the guest tables, don't matter. Looking at the map, Richfield Springs, NY appears to be a fairly rural area and I'm guessing a fairly small town. If red says it doesn't bother his clients and doesn't look out of place, more power to him. I just know that in the Nashville market, I've gotten definite push-back from displaying a banner. It would tarnish my reputation in this market, but perhaps wouldn't in red's.

Reactions: redhotdj
Yeah, not so much on the banner. I wouldn't, anyway, but I can see you're pretty set on it. Probably not an issue at this particular event, but I wouldn't be using it.