Interactive DJs Shady Gigs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ChrisGough

New DJ
Sep 4, 2011
North Florida, USA
So, here's a question. Is there a gig you wouldn't do as far as house parties or just open field parties as far as not really knowing the people or the area your going to be in as far as places with bad reputations? I hate to pass up opprutunity. But I just wanted to hear some feedback on this topic.

If your gut is screaming "DANGER, DANGER WILL ROGER, DANGER"

Don't take the gig no matter how lucrative.
I believe you meant WILL ROBINSON!!

Appreciate the feedback everyone. I'm just at the point where I realize I need to step up and have a more professional appearance. I put alot of work into my sets and my selection of music but I know there's more to it. I just started a website and working on buisness cards. I want to move up where my only selection of gigs is not only questionable gigs. So hopefully I am heading in the right direction.

In my on belief, if its a wedding at a nice venue or at a clubhouse or a subdivsion (home prices) tents are fine, usually by talking with the folks you can tell, I dont understand no winter events, lots of parties in the winter,(outside) ? Somd private homes on a lake can be 500 k to a mil , your safe,, I do soritory parties but stay away from frats, Ive had people call me up and sy we will put out a tip jar, damn I can go to wal-mart and stand outside less work and no load in,,,lol

How did you get your first legit gig? As in wedding, bar or club?
(I apoligize if this should be in a different thread but it's coming from the same principle of my first post, I just want to make the next step)

I do pretty much anything gig wise.

Then again, I tan really well, pack the good stuff, and people generally seem terrified of me for some strange reason -- maybe it's the twitch, or the fact that I look more and more like Keith Richards as time goes on... :dontknow: :D

If there is a gig in a less than reputable area, adjusting the price accordingly to be able to bring along ample security is an option.

There are very few events we won't do, but many get adjusted price wise for things mentioned in the op

with my company we bring a larger crew with us when going into an area that is unfamiliar, the safety your equipment and yourself are more important than money... also if doing this gig will hurt your reputation and could ultimately affect the amount of business you could receive in the future then passing up the gig is not only a smart personal decision but a wise business decision as well

As a hobbyist, I can be selective in when and where I want to do gigs...Try unloading in a snowstorm in - 20 degree weather.....don't need it. Tent weddings; again issues with terrain, power, heat and bugs....Private home; ...for mr it's a security issue

I am selective by the area it's kept.
also , if you think about it two times, don't do it, not worth it

I've done a gig on 3 days notice, at a campground in the mountains, off generator power, signed the contract when I arrived. All total strangers (paid cash)

The gig was fantastic and everything was awesome!

I did pack 1 extra piece of equipment. In the form of my Mossberg 12 gauge that is!

I got paid 375 using a guitar amp for power. My 1200's and a Pyramid mixer, Pair of Peavey 15 Inch with Black w/ black widows literally.

First gig outside of radio was a collection agency having a christmas party. Paid ok but I spent the evening entertaining sharky folks who harass people for a living. Also they were mostly horrible drunks.

I don't take gigs in low-income areas, I won't do anymore backyard weddings either unless they are in a mid-income area.