Weddings So yeah, still haven't got paid...good times!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
True story that happened to me and changed the way the franchise I work for does business.

I was DJing a wedding dance in the town I live in, for a couple I had meet in person a couple of days before the event. The event was set up through my company and I was assigned this particular couple. A balance of around $550 was due on the day of the event. Toward the end of the night, after me reminding the bride that there was a balance due, her father came up and paid the $550 in cash to me. I put the money in my billfold and put my billfold in my jacket pocket. I finished up the dance, about 30 more minutes, and started my tear down. At that point, I took my jacket off and left it on a chair on the stage. At some point during the 45 mins it takes for me to break down, my suit jacket was taken from the stage. As soon as I realized this I started asking around for it and looking for it. Because I was wearing a black jacket and was near the head table, I assumed that my suit jacket had gotten mixed up with the groomsmen but no one could find those jackets or knew what happened to them. So I called the police. By the time a sheriff's deputy arrived (it was out of city limits thus the sheriff deputy being called) the only people left were the father of the bride and a cousin, who were being very friendly but not helpful at all. As soon as the sheriff arrived, their mood changed drastically and they become very combative and assertive claiming that I stole the money and was blaming them. That's when my suit jacket was found in the cousin's car, minus all my money and my debit card. The police searched their car and my car but never searched them personally, I turn out everything in my pockets voluntarily when accusations toward me started flying. Money was never recovered. The company I worked for didn't charge me for the last money and payment they never received but I didn't get paid for the event either. A month later a new policy was institued that full payment had to be paid by the week of the event. I have to say it is nice not having to worry about collecting money and asking the bride for the money, who then has to track down her dad or his mom or whatever so they can write a check or have me fill out a CC slip or something. I can focus on my show and making the day the best day possible for the B&G.

Last edited:
Must be an area or type of clientele thing. Places where I have played have been know to have Rolex Watches, Diamond Rings and Necklaces not to mention Billfolds found, turned in and returned to their rightful owners.

I'm guessing it was the clientele as I've personally never have had that happen before and I've had earrings and watches and purses turned in at the DJ booth before. But I know it's happened a few times to our other DJs and I was kind of the last straw for the company before instituting the pay in advance policy.

Reactions: 1 person
True story that happened to me and changed the way the franchise I work for does business.

I was DJing a wedding dance in the town I live in, for a couple I had meet in person a couple of days before the event. The event was set up through my company and I was assigned this particular couple. A balance of around $550 was due on the day of the event. Toward the end of the night, after me reminding the bride that there was a balance due, her father came up and paid the $550 in cash to me. I put the money in my billfold and put my billfold in my jacket pocket. I finished up the dance, about 30 more minutes, and started my tear down. At that point, I took my jacket off and left it on a chair on the stage. At some point during the 45 mins it takes for me to break down, my suit jacket was taken from the stage. As soon as I realized this I started asking around for it and looking for it. Because I was wearing a black jacket and was near the head table, I assumed that my suit jacket had gotten mixed up with the groomsmen but no one could find those jackets or knew what happened to them. So I called the police. By the time a sheriff's deputy arrived (it was out of city limits thus the sheriff deputy being called) the only people left were the father of the bride and a cousin, who were being very friendly but not helpful at all. As soon as the sheriff arrived, their mood changed drastically and they become very combative and assertive claiming that I stole the money and was blaming them. That's when my suit jacket was found in the cousin's car, minus all my money and my debit card. The police searched their car and my car but never searched them personally, I turn out everything in my pockets voluntarily when accusations toward me started flying. Money was never recovered. The company I worked for didn't charge me for the last money and payment they never received but I didn't get paid for the event either. A month later a new policy was institued that full payment had to be paid by the week of the event. I have to say it is nice not having to worry about collecting money and asking the bride for the money, who then has to track down her dad or his mom or whatever so they can write a check or have me fill out a CC slip or something. I can focus on my show and making the day the best day possible for the B&G.

One could easily cite that this new policy reflects the company's inability to trust it's own employees to securely accept payment. Whether it was stolen or not is really a side issue. You were not stiffed. You actually got paid - had the money and then lost it. That more than anything is why the company probably prefers to manage it's own receivables rather than rely on the DJs to collect.

I'm guessing it was the clientele as I've personally never have had that happen before and I've had earrings and watches and purses turned in at the DJ booth before. But I know it's happened a few times to our other DJs and I was kind of the last straw for the company before instituting the pay in advance policy.
Simple question. Why would you leave the wallet with the money in your jacket pocket? That would have gone in my pants pocket. That way I know where it was at for sure.

Simple question. Why would you leave the wallet with the money in your jacket pocket? That would have gone in my pants pocket. That way I know where it was at for sure.
:dancelaugh:LOL Tell 'em Mix, tell 'em! ROFLMFAOBEMKWTD :laughing3:

It's a legit question, I'm pretty picky with my suit and I don't like having the "wallet outline" in my back pocket. I was also afraid of the money falling out of my front pocket as I was lifting gear to my vehicle.

Last edited:
That is what I've started doing, but I am still not 100% comfortable with that method either. I live in a fairly small community (20,000 I think) that is rural and friendly and I am from an even smaller one (6,000) and the thought of someone stealing my suit jacket and money never crossed my mind. I am usually pretty cautious when I go to bigger cities or when I traveled overseas and use a money clip (and even then, unless I'm wearing jeans, I've had money slip out) but the thought of having happen in a smaller town at a small family wedding dance (maybe 300 people) just didn't occur to me. I learned my lesson. And as I said, I wasn't the first in my company this has happened to, so they took a safety precaution on their part as a company. I do take full blame and took full blame for getting the money stolen from me.

That is what I've started doing, but I am still not 100% comfortable with that method either. I live in a fairly small community (20,000 I think) that is rural and friendly and I am from an even smaller one (6,000) and the thought of someone stealing my suit jacket and money never crossed my mind. I am usually pretty cautious when I go to bigger cities or when I traveled overseas and use a money clip (and even then, unless I'm wearing jeans, I've had money slip out) but the thought of having happen in a smaller town at a small family wedding dance (maybe 300 people) just didn't occur to me. I learned my lesson. And as I said, I wasn't the first in my company this has happened to, so they took a safety precaution on their part as a company. I do take full blame and took full blame for getting the money stolen from me.
Wow! You call a small family wedding 300 people? I don't know where you're from but where I'm from that's not a small wedding. That's a nice sizable wedding where they aren't the cheapest people getting married.

Wow! You call a small family wedding 300 people? I don't know where you're from but where I'm from that's not a small wedding. That's a nice sizable wedding where they aren't the cheapest people getting married.
300 people at an Event is also small here in Houston.

300 would be fairly large around these parts in New England. Most that I have attended (I don't do them) run 150-225 in size. There aren't many venues (other than some hotel ballrooms) that can hold much more than 300.

Reactions: 2 people
300 people in my area is a very large wedding. Most weddings are around 100 people. This also has a lot to do with the pricing as the venue rarely cost more than 1K and the food and cakes less than 2K, many are no alcohol, so for 2 hours of dinner music and 2 hours of dance music you will get $400.00-$500.00 for DJ services (we have many $250.00, two active speakers on a stick I-pod Djs and that is why I like school dances and private parties). Add in some lights and you can push $700.00.

Drop down to Nashville or up to Louisville and they have 300-500 people weddings all the time in the 2K and up price.

Reactions: 3 people

Cash is not a good way to transact this kind of business. We are not inside our own retail stores or offices - we are often alone and sometimes isolated. Few companies that provide delivery would allow their drivers to carry or collect cash to/from their destinations. We should be acting with similar propriety.

I always prefer a check - it's replaceable, can be tracked, cancelled, returned, and it's a felony to write a fraudulent one. I also will take credit cards which many people use to make a deposit - with the option to charge the remaining balance when the event date arrives.

I rarely see cash anymore - with a few small rental customers and an occasional school dance being the only cash customers left. I can not remember receiving cash (other than tips) for a wedding or bar mitzvah in the last decade.

Reactions: 1 person
Almost all the weddings I do are in the 300-500 people range. And this particular dance was the first and only one that I've been paid in cash (excluding tips), it honestly took me off guard getting paid like that. I will say that most of the weddings I do are small towns of a couple thousand where "everyone knows everyone" and lots of people come for the dance. I usually will start a reception around 5 or 6 and end at midnight. Dinner, etc usually goes an hour and half to two hours, and usually 4+hours of the dance. I do have one of those Square credit card readers for overtime (the company allows me to charge my own overtime rate--I don't go into overtime alot but enough), but I've never used it [the Square reader].

If you prefer the method you use to collect your fee...GREAT!
If it works for you, am not gonna tell you that you're doing it wrong.
Why are the people who are "doing it wrong".....still working?

Why should anyone here, really give a sh*t on how others get paid?

Reactions: ittigger