Weddings Speaker placement at ceremonies?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Bill Kexel

Well-Known DJ
Dec 5, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I know every setup situation may be different, but for those of you that DJ wedding ceremonies:

Where do you typically set up the speakers? (in the back? side? front?)
How many speakers?
Are they on the ground or up on tripods?
Where are you/your mixer set up at? (in back, front? side?)

and....the reasons why for each of your answers?

Depends on inside or out, conditions and space. Last weekends ceremony was outside and very windy so I ended up placing them where they were least likley to be blown over which, in this case, was on the side. Optimally, I prefer to have them in front of the crowd, well spread, and out of the line if sight for pictures.

I generally like to use two speakers but in some situations (smaller ceremonies) I have been known to use one and once or twice where it was mainly voice I have used a powered keyboard amp.

Generally they are on tripods

I use a Fender Passport PD250. Most of the time I use both speakers and I set them on the ground, or hide them in a bush if something like that is available. It's plenty easy to get enough volume even with the speakers on the ground. For bigger ceremonies I will use a 50' snake so that I can be further away. I typically try to be as out of the way as I can be. I don't want my speakers, or me, in the pictures.

DaveHoyt

Wes hasn't activated the cloaking device :D:D:D:D:D

Man, harsh room... probably meant they are not very noticeable.

Nah, it's just that Canute is our resident PITA regarding location, location, location :D:D:D:D:D

;)

Whats so wrong with appearing in the pics? The Bride sees them, the Bride remembers the good music and you, the Bride tells Sally (Who is about to get married) about you, Sally calls and books you.....all because you and your gear in her pics trigger her memory...and now you have a brand new gig because of a bloody photo......how bad/good is that? Hard to beat, isn't it? :trirolleyes:

Whats so wrong with appearing in the pics? The Bride sees them, the Bride remembers the good music and you, the Bride tells Sally (Who is about to get married) about you, Sally calls and books you.....all because you and your gear in her pics trigger her memory...and now you have a brand new gig because of a bloody photo......how bad/good is that? Hard to beat, isn't it? :trirolleyes:

I actually had an outdoor ceremony at a very upscale venue where I was set up over to the side, with speakers on tripods. The B. mgr made me move everything further away & take my speakers off the tripods because it all looked gawdy. I was not happy about it, but this venue has referred me quite often & the events at this venue pay very well.

I typically set up in the back 5:00 position, & run 2 speakers. One at a 2:00 & the other at a 4:00 position.
I used to use just one speaker, but after the failure of the ZXA1, I can't take the risk. now if 1 fails, at least the other is there vs. no audio. I set up in the back, because I am typically coordinating things.

As far as sound quality, I wonder if it's better or worse to have the speakers on the ground or on tripods?

I use a pair of stage monitor speakers and set them on the ground. For outdoor events I put them on small black doormats to keep them clean and neat. I use 1 for small ceremonies and 2 for larger ceremonies. Usually set them off to the side towards the front and out of site of cameras.

Back, always in the back. It keeps us out of the sight lines of anyone taking pictures/there isn't any extra movement in anyone's line of sight so the guests attention is kept at the altar.

Our speakers are on tripods (if outdoors) no matter what. Just like at a reception, this helps the sound travel. We also use 2 speakers.

The mixer, mic receivers, etc are all on a skirted 4' table that is normally placed inbetween the speaker tripods. The mic stands will go wherever they need to go (back by us, up at the front, on the side, etc) depending on what is needed for the ceremony.

I actually had an outdoor ceremony at a very upscale venue where I was set up over to the side, with speakers on tripods. The B. mgr made me move everything further away & take my speakers off the tripods because it all looked gawdy. I was not happy about it, but this venue has referred me quite often & the events at this venue pay very well.

I typically set up in the back 5:00 position, & run 2 speakers. One at a 2:00 & the other at a 4:00 position.
I used to use just one speaker, but after the failure of the ZXA1, I can't take the risk. now if 1 fails, at least the other is there vs. no audio. I set up in the back, because I am typically coordinating things.

As far as sound quality, I wonder if it's better or worse to have the speakers on the ground or on tripods?
On tripods the sound travels farther, just as J Mac said in his post, therefore you don't need as much volume. Get two tall fake plants (Not too much foliage to block the sound waves) and place them in front of your speakers on stands and they serve as great camouflage.
If you are worried about one speaker failing and you use two, then run them in mono. Remember, if you are running two in stereo and one fails, that is not Mono, you end up with part of the music program missing. Either that or start in stereo with the option of switching to mono if one fails.

For outdoor ceremonies I would strongly reccomend a Bose L1 or Bose Compact for you guys.