Weddings Speaking of lights at a wedding...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

What is your thoughts of DJs doing lighting at weddings?

• I have lights and I think it is great.

Votes: 76 100.0%
  • I have lights but would rather not use them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have lights but am getting some to use at weddings.

• I don't have lights and am not getting them.

• Let those that just do lighting provide the lights.

• Do you want a wedding or a disco?

• I see the light.

• I am walking toward the light.

• Look at the pretty lights.

• I could take or leave lights.

• I don't care.

• Total voters
$100 for 10 extra minutes? seems worth it to me. If I could chage more I would right now sales are slow.

Just take some pics like soundimage21 and put them on your site.. those pictures are worth the money he charges...

I took the 2nd & 5th pictures. Professional photographers took the other 3.

Our pricing is roughly $895 for 12 lights, then $50 each light after that. $200 for a custom monogram, $100 for a stock image. 80% of my weddings booked for 2010 so far have paid for ambience lighting.

Pictures really do sell the lighting... I'd suggest buying the lights. You can't sell them if you can't show them. Offer lighting for free or heavily discounted for those that will appreciate it and are at a venue worth doing lighting at AND have a photographer able/willing to capture lighting pictures FOR YOU.

Use those pictures on your website & marketing material. Brides that want lighting will come to you already wanting to pay for it. You just need to convince them that you are the one for the job. And pictures will do that for the lighting. Sell yourself as the DJ/MC and you have got the job with a pretty price tag...

Here is my latest setup.

Attachments

• anzyxx.jpg
    anzyxx.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 6
Attached are a before & after pic from one of our events this weekend. We took them ourselves so they aren't the best...

Granite_Bay_Before_small.jpg

Granite_Bay_Red_2_small.jpg

We did the Up-lighting, Paper Lanterns, & Projected Oak Tree...

"Retail" Price - $1395

I'd like to ask that people list what type of uplighting/lighting they use so for us who don't have this can look into it?

Just asking..Thanks!

At the above event, we used (16) Wiedamark LED Par 64 fixtures, 12 (16") paper lanterns (w/ 12 LED bulbs in each), & an ETC Source Four to project a Rosco Tree#3 Gobo on the right wall.

How is that Albany?

At the above event, we used (16) Wiedamark LED Par 64 fixtures, 12 (16") paper lanterns (w/ 12 LED bulbs in each), & an ETC Source Four to project a Rosco Tree#3 Gobo on the right wall.

How is that Albany?

That was good but you left out what you had for breakfast...:sqwink:

For all my Clients - I ask them if they want them or not

its take it or not

no skin of my nose if they dont want lights (also saves me getting them setup)

It is easier to sell uplighting if you have the proper media on your site. If people don't see the transformation you won't close the sale. The more vids and pics you have the more clients you will have that add it on.

Also if you market it as a DJ doing lighting design, then they will think you are a DJ that is bring out some cool lights. If you market it as a lighting company that specializes in formal events, then you can easily book contracts with lighting only. That is when lighting gets really fun!

Cerebro it all depends on the clients you have (and area)

most of mine dont even want lights these days

as I have said if they want it I sell it
if they dont I will use it elsewhere on other jobs

Cerebro it all depends on the clients you have (and area)

most of mine dont even want lights these days

as I have said if they want it I sell it
if they dont I will use it elsewhere on other jobs

I know a lot of people go back to the 'not in my area' reason. I think your area depends on your determination. I live in Detroit, a city that currently has one of the largest unemployment rates. However, I managed to book over $3,000 in retainers today. How did I do that? I travel over 3 hours to find the clients that value where I am taking the company.

My goal is profit maximization, and this depends on the clients I am targeting (future clients with future growth in mind, not current clients with current perceptions). I have worked events where clients have spent in excess of $45,000 for a reception (15 tier cakes).

All I was saying, is that if you position yourself properly, you can get bigger and better bookings. People on these boards have questions about lighting design, and I was giving input from my experiences with branching out and doing the lighting. Without vids and pics, people won't see why it is worth the additional $$$. But if you're happy where you're at, then why change it?

If it's not broke then don't fix it, right :sqwink:

I know a lot of people go back to the 'not in my area' reason. I think your area depends on your determination. I live in Detroit, a city that currently has one of the largest unemployment rates. However, I managed to book over $3,000 in retainers today. How did I do that? I travel over 3 hours to find the clients that value where I am taking the company.

My goal is profit maximization, and this depends on the clients I am targeting (future clients with future growth in mind, not current clients with current perceptions). I have worked events where clients have spent in excess of $45,000 for a reception (15 tier cakes).

All I was saying, is that if you position yourself properly, you can get bigger and better bookings. People on these boards have questions about lighting design, and I was giving input from my experiences with branching out and doing the lighting. Without vids and pics, people won't see why it is worth the additional $$$. But if you're happy where you're at, then why change it?

If it's not broke then don't fix it, right :sqwink:

Trouble is as you and everyone says its what happens in my area!!

I been doing this for over 30+ years
do you think I have just started or something ?

it changes all the time some years they want lots of lights and other years they say its a wedding not a night club as Scott quoted above

so yes I can do lots more than you credit me for but if the clients do not want lights you can not force them

If I dont use them in one area then there are plenty places I can - but since of this year 2010 I am cutting back on work to do more computer work (repairs , installs etc etc)

so have a great 2010

LOL it's funny... Some brides tell me they are on a super cheap budget and have and SEEM to have a hard time paying the fee for the DJ... $750 in 2009... but a few ended up paying it... and a few months later they get uplighting and a photo booth....

So, it's not that they don't have the money... It's that they don't believe you deserve it... and if you book them at a low rate.. then you agree with them...

There is perception and then there is projection.

Brides often perceive that a DJ is a DJ and that there are lots of them and no need to worry about getting one. The perception is that there is always some DJ out there looking to do a gig for less money than another DJ.
This is perception.

A good DJ entertainer projects professionalism and talent. This distinguishes him from the rest of the pack. This allows him to book the event for much more than the DJ that the average bride perceives.

Lighting, sound reinforcement, up-lighting, photo booths, montages, plasma screens - these are all natural extensions of the mobile entertainment industry. If you don't incorporate some of these into your normal offerings, you will be the DJ that the client perceives, rather than the DJ who projects.

Lighting has been the lynchpin of my act since 1975.
At my very first event, I had 9 100 Watt colored Floods tacked to the ceiling, controlled by a 3 channel audio color organ. The effect was startling, and the audience was amazed at how good I made that dingy, flourescent lit room look during the party.

Today, 35 years later, I have a ten foot truss with 4 Scanners, 2 moving heads, a strobe, a VUE 3 LED Effects fixture, 2 ADJ Mega Pixel Bars, and a Scorpion Laser. Using my "FaCIEd"™ Facade DJ Frontboard, illuminated with 6 Chauvet Color Splash Jr's, I present an image that nearly every bride goes for. It takes an extra hour or so to set it up, and another hour to break it down.

The ambience created by the totally DMX controlled lighting, definitely captivates the audience and entices them to take a whirl on the dancefloor.
This definitely enhances the performance.

I get an average $250 per show for the lighting. Total investment in the lighting is approximately $3800. In 2009, I did approximately 45 gigs with lighting. Do the math----More than $11,000 added to my bottom line. 90 hours extra setup time -- comes out to $125 an hour for setting up. The lights were paid off in less than 15 shows.

I now offer venue up-lighting. Again, DMX controlled. Clients are paying $35 per fixture. it is yet, another revenue source, and it too, enhances my performance.

Lighting is a great way to augment your income, and assist making DJ'ing, a well-paying profession.

The argument that you are just a DJ and your job is to play music is no longer a valid statement. If we, as DJ's are to earn a decent living with our craft, and it is indeed a craft, then we must be "so much more than just music!"

We must indeed be, DJ Entertainers. And this includes sound, lighting, up-lighting, video screens, and anything else related to entertaining the guests, so that our industry distinguishes itself as a true alternative to a live musician.

Club_Colonial_Woods.jpg

Summer_2008_set_up_DSC02870.jpg

Waldon_Wedding_100.jpg

Waldon_Wedding_077.jpg

Waldon_Wedding_156.jpg