Stand up sit down or shut up!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJKLEEN

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 31, 2016
Lafayette la
Hey guys I have a question for your different opinions? I have been dj'ing at a table sitting down! I noticed some of you guys stand up? Is this for the reason of getting the crowd better acclimated? I really don't feel like standing for 2 to 4 hours at a time, neither does my wife when she helps run the table!

Should I set up a high table and get some stools to look like I am standing up?

What are your thoughts on sitting and standing?

I am way past standing with my hat on backwards and my headphones around my neck waving one hand in the air,,,,,like I just don't care! Ha!

Opinions welcome! From the pro's and the weekend wheel wackers as well!

You'll find opinions all over the map. Some say it looks more professional to stand .. my back says I can't .. at least not for hours. I tend to stand when dancing begins, since that's when requests start coming, but tend to walk around or sit when playing background music.

You'll find opinions all over the map. Some say it looks more professional to stand .. my back says I can't .. at least not for hours. I tend to stand when dancing begins, since that's when requests start coming, but tend to walk around or sit when playing background music.
About how high is your table?

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I also walk around or sit when playing background music, but as soon as things really start, I bring as much energy to the party as I can. That means I'm standing "standing and grooving" to the music, kind of like dancing in place - I do not wear a hat nor wave my arms!! My rig is actually too high to sit at. I will also often jump on the floor for Line dances. For the record, I'm a Weekend Wacker.

Typically 30" (that's what I have skirts for) and my rack case sits on top. For bar type gigs, I uses a SKB GigRig that stands about 30" high as well.

I am often standing, or even walking around during cocktail hour. I sit down during dinner as there is no reason to stand. During Introductions, and any other announcements I stand up. I stand up during all important dances, and open dancing.

Towards the end of the night...When I play a slow dance song, I may sit down briefly...I'm talking maybe 90 seconds while the song is playing.

Yes I do consider it more professional, and engaging to stand while deejaying.

An option would be the X Pro Stands DJ Chair. It is light, and adjustable. You can adjust it real high so it appears like you are standing.

I used to stand all night but like Steve my back doesn't take kindly to that anymore. I stand for major parts like announcements and first dances and try to stand as much as I can during the evening. I don't put pressure on myself when I feel the need to sit I sit

I also walk around or sit when playing background music, but as soon as things really start, I bring as much energy to the party as I can. That means I'm standing "standing and grooving" to the music, kind of like dancing in place - I do not wear a hat nor wave my arms!! My rig is actually too high to sit at. I will also often jump on the floor for Line dances. For the record, I'm a Weekend Wacker.
Yea, thanks for the input! Standing and grooving! I know what you are meaning!

Reactions: BryanK
I am often standing, or even walking around during cocktail hour. I sit down during dinner as there is no reason to stand. During Introductions, and any other announcements I stand up. I stand up during all important dances, and open dancing.

Towards the end of the night...When I play a slow dance song, I may sit down briefly...I'm talking maybe 90 seconds while the song is playing.

Yes I do consider it more professional, and engaging to stand while deejaying.

An option would be the X Pro Stands DJ Chair. It is light, and adjustable. You can adjust it real high so it appears like you are standing.
Yes. Thanks for the input! More professional to stand!

The reason I am also asking is that I am getting ready to get another dj table with a break around the top of it to hide my wires. I have seen some really nice ones on this website! Some have lights! I liked!

I think I will make this table go higher!

I guess almost all of you use those plastic adjustable tables? With a scrim!

Stand, but sit with one leg on the floor and one on the stool cross member. When dancing begins I am on two feet most of the evening.

Oh... I also have 3 of those exercise puzzle-type exercise mats (like yellow, blue, etc.), but I turn them bottom side up (gray) and use them as fatigue mats; however, they crawl a bit on carpet.

Last edited:
My table doesn't have a cable hole, but the skirt does, so the cables can go out the back of the case and immediately down through the skirt and inside/under the table ..

Reactions: DJKLEEN
My back as well can't take standing but for so long. I'm doing an event on Friday that is going to be a long day. Hugh setup! Got tom get to the place around 3pm to get things setup as they have a meeting downstairs that starts at 7:15. My friend is helping me. The event is for 6 hours. 9pm-3am. There is no way I could play for a whole 6 hours straight. I used to be able to when I was in my 20's and early 30's. Not any more. I suggest stand when you feel you need to so as it has been stated to look professional. Sometimes when I'm having a really good time at a gig I will jump around dancing at my table to show the crowd that I'm having a good time. Usually the next day I will feel it. Even though I know that just might happen the next day I still do it.

I run the cables off to the side and gaff tape them down if it's a walkway. I tried putting the cables under the mat and somehow my feet always wanted to stand on top of the cables. Not good for the cables or my comfort.

All important parts of the day or night I stand other than that I sit my feet wont let me stand for long. As for looking professional its up to you.

Reactions: DJKLEEN
Because my presentation has included various facades that have all been 48" tall, I haven't sat behind my rig in at least 15 years. I really don't give a hoot what it looks like sitting or standing, but I do pay attention to what the sitters are doing while sitting. Most often, it's not job focused. For example, texting, drinking a beer from a bottle, read a book, noshing on a plateful of whores de' ovaries, and so forth. Because of the 4' facade, no one can see anything below my chest. No pants? No problem. Six pack of empties? Invisible.

What I have done to help the physical aspects of long hours at parade rest is :
1) Quality shoes with gel inserts;
2) Up to the knee cap Compression socks;
3) 4' x 4' fatigue mat;
4) Make it a point to walk the room every 15 or 20 minutes (like I'm checking my sound or something) just to keep the hammies and calfs from tightening up.
5) Nail three Advil just before first note, three more after last note.

One unfortunate fallout symptom of standing for 4 to 6 hours is the recovery time. In my 50's & 60's, after Friday & Saturday event, I be recovered by Monday dinnertime. Now? Like by Tuesday bedtime (I hope). Walking our 9 month old puppies a briskly paced three miles every morning before breakfast has helped immensely, so recovery has reverted to Monday evening again.