Stand up sit down or shut up!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Not gonna tell anyone what is the right thing to do.
I only know what works for me.
I just don't feel right sitting down at a gig.
But as I get older, and my knees and ankles show their mileage,
standing for 4 or 5 hours straight can be PAINFUL.
So I bought a stool that puts me at the same height as if I were standing.

Thanks to modern medication, I haven't used it in ages.
But I still keep it around for those all day, no pressure picnics
where I am not doing anything more than providing background music.

To me it is all about reality vs. perception. It may be reality that it is uncomfortable and difficult to stand all night but the perception of sitting is you are lazy and unprofessional.

I'm not saying that everyone here that said they sit are unprofessional or lazy, I highly doubt that is true, but my bet is the crowd gets that perception.

That's just my view. I hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers since I'm new here.

cocktails/dinner I generally sit most of the time - other than having to coordinate things, stand in the buffet line, etc. LOL

From the first post dinner activity till i get in my car to leave I don't sit. My feet (heels) feel it some (i wear gel shoes) but it's my lower back that screams the most

I'm not really stuck on one way or the other being correct. As for me, I usually always stand at the beginning, thru GE, will sit during dinner (sometimes), then stand during the major events. It's 50/50 whether I'll stand through the dance set. Overall though, I do think that standing will help your perception in the eyes of the client. I don't remember ever hearing a client brag, "He looked so at ease, sitting there."

"A DJ should always stand" - was part of my training from one of the most successful DJs in my area. Any mobiile DJ that is also an entertainer will be on his/her feet most of the time.

Just standing will make one's feet ache very bad in 6 hours or less. As Cap said, walk around every once in a while or dance around. Sitting looks even worse if you have a facade. "Where's the flippin' DJ"?

I stand 90% of the time. I may sit for a moment or two during dinner, but never during dancing when I'm mixing. I find that a little bit of stretching really helps me with feet and leg fatigue. Just stretching my quads out, lifting my toe to stretch my calves... it makes all the difference in the world.

I haven't yet added one of the anti fatigue mats, but as I think about tomorrows gig on an unforgiving concrete floor... Its something I should do.

I stand mostly through a 4 hour event. 6 hour events include a ceremony and cocktail hour of which I will find an opportunity to sit during both. When I'm in the mixing zone I stand. A meal break for 15 mins I'll sit.

Reactions: Albatross
I mostly stand.

I have the same opinion about standing as I do for eating and drinking at an event.

If you are nailing it, no on will care. However, if they are not liking what you are playing or how you are mcing, they will easily use your sitting, eating or drinking as causes/effects of your poor performance.

"That Dj is terrible. He doesn't care about the crowd. He's just sitting there eating and drinking beer. That's what he's concerned about."

The reality is I'll grab a seat when I need it, or food if I'm hungry. I just want everyone there to get the impression that I'm there to help them have a good time, because that's the truth.