Tent wedding this past Saturday

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Scott Hanna

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 25, 2006
Cleveland, OH
www.djincleveland.com
Did a wedding this past Saturday in a backyard. Nice place.
It's about 1.5 hours from my house. My wife's texts me and says they got hit with a nasty storm and it's heading your way. I look on the satellite and see that it's going to hit around 7. I'm too close the edge of the tent, and the only side that doesn't have a sidewall. So I move it in more. I put plastic underneath my l1 system in case water comes in. I also covered everything in plastic.
Sure enough, just as the satellite pictures said, it hit us just after 7. The ceremony was done and we were getting ready for the grand entrance.
I still wasn't in far enough wind was pushing water in, rain from the top came into the tent. I had to get everything farther in and off the ground. I tore down everything as fast as I could and put it back in its cases to try to keep things dry. It helped. But then the power went out. The tent was dark.

Once the major storm passed, I set back up, but farther in the tent. There was a bunch of water on the cement patio we were on. I had EVERYTHING, including my Bose system, on the table. We did the grand entrance from inside the tent. Then the power went out again. It turns out they had the caterers in the garage using the same circuit as me. So we got that fixed.

The rest of the evening was great. Everyone danced. They were very appreciative that I was able to keep the evening going in trying circumstances. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.png

I'm glad you had a lightwieght setup and could move quickly enough. I don't know I could have done the same.

When I have an outdoor type event I always request a short stage, just to keep everything off the ground. The speakers on sticks and lights on totems get covered in large trash bags. Then I have a 100' x 10' roll of plastic sheeting that I can quickly cut off what I need to cover everything else. The plastic sheet is held down with entertainment style sand bags that I keep in the van.

So far that approach has worked well for me.

Reactions: Scott Hanna
That's a tough night, good job getting through it.

I had a caterer do the same thing to me and blow me out last fall right as dancing was getting started. That is super frustrating... it was also the recommended caterer from the venue that supposedly was there all the time... guys should have known better.

I'm surprised they didn't have a wall that they could drop on your side of the tent. Seems silly to have it elsewhere but not for you.

That's a tough night, good job getting through it.

I had a caterer do the same thing to me and blow me out last fall right as dancing was getting started. That is super frustrating... it was also the recommended caterer from the venue that supposedly was there all the time... guys should have known better.

I'm surprised they didn't have a wall that they could drop on your side of the tent. Seems silly to have it elsewhere but not for you.

The groom said there was supposed to be 4 walls, but only 3 showed up.