The Official Introductions Thread

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I know this is a forum - but because a bunch of us have been here a long time, we like to know who we're talking to .. so if you have not yet, please take a moment to introduce yourself.
Hello, I'm Matt, or DJ Mafu. I've been beatmixing this since 1992. I've worked for 2 radio stations, ran a successful mobile company, and currently a co-host for Mixology 101 on hot101.net on Monday nights 9pm-midnight EST. We are currently looking at possibly starting up our own station soon.

Technobabble aside I'm a proud father of five, and love my famiy time.

Welcome to our little spot (the best little spot) on the web. Please keep all limbs, flippers and growths inside the vehicle at all times.

Welcome Matt and thanks for posting in this thread...

5 Kids eh? I got you beat 6 and all girls ;)

Reactions: ittigger
Hello, I'm Matt, or DJ Mafu. I've been beatmixing this since 1992. I've worked for 2 radio stations, ran a successful mobile company, and currently a co-host for Mixology 101 on hot101.net on Monday nights 9pm-midnight EST. We are currently looking at possibly starting up our own station soon.

Welcome aboard Matt and Thanks for posting in this thread

Technobabble aside I'm a proud father of five, and love my famiy time.

5 kids eh? I got you beat 6 and all girls :)

Reactions: ittigger and Mafu
I am Plasticine Porter, and I am a lifelong music geek. I have a few different Internet based jobs, but appreciating music is at the center of my life, so in circumstances similar to some other posters, I started getting gigs as a party and wedding DJ. Elkhart, IN wedding guests have fairly predictable tastes in music, so it didn't take long to build up a collection of favorites that are sure to please the audience. My musical tastes go in a bunch of directions, though.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I am Plasticine Porter, and I am a lifelong music geek. I have a few different Internet based jobs, but appreciating music is at the center of my life, so in circumstances similar to some other posters, I started getting gigs as a party and wedding DJ. Elkhart, IN wedding guests have fairly predictable tastes in music, so it didn't take long to build up a collection of favorites that are sure to please the audience. My musical tastes go in a bunch of directions, though.

Welcome to the board

I believe we have someone else here from Elkhart IN. Rob @jokerswild isn't that where you're from?

Hello. My name is Sergio and I just started doing the DJ/lighting deal this year. This is my hobby since I am a full time mechanical engineer. I am about to do my first big gig (to me it's big). It's a homecoming for 2000 students in a high school gym. All my other gigs have been weddings and a prom under 300. What would the best thread to post on here for advice on my lighting/sound set up? I have done massive amounts of research but I hear different things from different places. Any help for an eager to learn newbie would be awesome. Thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Welcome Sergio ( and a belated welcome to Jason too !) !

As for posting questions .. any of the categories in "The DJ Business" is fine, but they are open to outside viewers. If the questions need to be hidden from prospective clients, then the "Jay Tea Vegas Hall Of Fame" is a good spot to start.

I'm Ricky. I LOVE Eating Pizza!!! I eat Pizza at least 3 days a week. I'm a Pizza Connoisseur. I also Love eating STEAK! My Favorite kind of steak is Ribeye!!!

...Oh, you probably don't want to know my favorite foods

...I come from a family of DJs. My Dad is a DJ who started in the business in 1983 after being a talent agent for 10 years booking bands during the Golden Years of Disco/Funk. He actually booked Foreigner (along with his boss at the time) on their first USA concert a DJ, and my sbefore they became HUGE. Anyway, my older brother started in 1991 and sister in 1992 as a DJ...and I followed in their footsteps in 1998. I started deejaying in a night club called TJ Meadows on Saturday nights when my Dad booked weddings or other higher paying events. I learned a lot about disco/funk/70s/80s music at the time between 1998 and 2003 or so deejaying for people 2x to 4x my age. In 2000 I did my first wedding which happened to be at TJ Meadows. I went and purchased a $300 Tuxedo for a $150 wedding gig! LOL. I was as nervous as could be on it. Anyway, after that I started doing a few sweet 16s since I was a young DJ. The Sweet 16s is where I really learned to beat mix at the time. After that I got hooked up with a Talent Agency, and they immediately started booking me on kids parties and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. At the time I was loading all of my equipment into a 1994 Pontiac Formula! I packed it in! Then I started booking more weddings in 2004. Did my first $1,000 event in 2005. It was an agency corporate holiday party for 5 hours. I couldn't believe I was doing a gig that was booked at 1 GRAND. From that time forward I made a point of trying to obtain as many $1,000 bookings as possible. I then had a son, and got married in 2009. Training him to be a Future DJ now, and working my Mobile DJ business as my primary income.

...I'm on the DJ biz train until the DJ Business is no longer feasible to work. I love running my own business, and not having to commute in traffic to report for work every day and call someone "BOSS".

I've been a DJ in the St. Louis area for over 20 years. Most of that time I worked for others. This year I ventured out on my own. I currently do 10-12 weddings a year and working on finding corporate and school dance jobs. My goal is to have 3 or 4 DJs in the next two years and be able to quit my full-time job.

I'm a big techie and I always like to have the best of the best. I'm also always willing to lend a helping hand whenever it is needed.

Welcome aboard ..