The problem with country music...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Galager

DJ Extraordinaire
Feb 5, 2016
I actually like country music. I just don't listen to it as much as I should because I've too busy listening to the pop and hip-hop stations in my area trying to keep abreast to what the kids are listening to these days. I have a fair amount of clients that request some country music during their receptions. The problem is there is not a lot of country music that has a great dance beat (there is some but not compared to hip-hop or even rock). Now you may say "Galager! You can dance to just about all country music! There is the East Coast 2-step, West Coast 2-step, Country Cha-cha, Schottische, Horse shoe, yadda yadda yadda". That's all fine and dandy... if I lived in Texas. The folks around here don't know the various country dances so unless it's got a great beat, whether fast or slow, people don't like to dance to them.

I could use some help. I need to beef up my country.

So, can you give me some suggestions of country songs that have come out in the last year or so that have a real strong dance beat that are very popular?

There is the East Coast 2-step, West Coast 2-step, Country Cha-cha, Schottische, Horse shoe, yadda yadda yadda". That's all fine and dandy... if I lived in Texas. The folks around here don't know the various country dances so unless it's got a great beat, whether fast or slow, people don't like to dance to them.

There's no "problem" with country music - it's all in your Texas two-step mindset.
Treat it like rock music and mix it with other similar rock music.

I rarely play any country at my events. I get 1 to 2 weddings a year where they want some country mixed in. I did one last October heavy on the country. It was a reception in a horse stable, and bride was wearing cowboy boots. Lots of Blake Shelton, Kenney Chesney, Brad Paisley, some Brooks and Dunn. Some Zac Brown band was played. Trace adkins honky tonk badonkadonk. Tequilla makes her clothes fall off. Big N Rich Save a horse ride a cowboy was played.

The most popular country song even to today in my opinion for weddings is Garth Brooks Friends in Low Places. I play that one probably 3 times a year or so, and it's always a hit. Usually one of the last 2-3 songs of the night when I play it.

I did just do a same sex wedding between two women. Both of their father/daughter dances were George Straight songs.

George straight still get's requested from time to time by guests. Toby Keith Red Solo Cup was popular for about 18 months, but it's faded away now.

I play more than I care to but I have learned in California that if you give our cowboys some good country during dinner and cocktail and a little during dancing. That they will dance to pretty much everything else. Our wedding last nite was full of red dirt (and yes I played red dirt road). And for the first time at a wedding I was not wearing slacks though I was wearing my boots and a pair of brand new 501 black jeans.

I actually like country music. I just don't listen to it as much as I should because I've too busy listening to the pop and hip-hop stations in my area trying to keep abreast to what the kids are listening to these days. I have a fair amount of clients that request some country music during their receptions. The problem is there is not a lot of country music that has a great dance beat (there is some but not compared to hip-hop or even rock). Now you may say "Galager! You can dance to just about all country music! There is the East Coast 2-step, West Coast 2-step, Country Cha-cha, Schottische, Horse shoe, yadda yadda yadda". That's all fine and dandy... if I lived in Texas. The folks around here don't know the various country dances so unless it's got a great beat, whether fast or slow, people don't like to dance to them.

I could use some help. I need to beef up my country.

So, can you give me some suggestions of country songs that have come out in the last year or so that have a real strong dance beat that are very popular?

If I may, there is no 'West Coast 2-Step' or 'East Coast 2-Step'. There is West Coast and East Coast Swing.

For a 'line dance' crowd, you will cover 80's to modern country and pop. For people that just want to hear 'modern' country, the top requested that I usually see are Country Girl (Shake It For Me) and Cruise. Country 'sing along' would be Friends In Low Places.

Last edited:
Honey I'm good is a great crossover tune that works for the pop or country crowd. It has that foot stompin' "hoedown" feel to it. You can use it to segue out of or into just about any genre.

Reactions: dunlopj
There's been a growing trend in my local demographic for "Hick-Hop". I can't wrap my head around it, but people around my immediate AO love it. Maybe mention this genre to future country clients to see if they want it. If not, it'd be another tool in the toolbox at least.

Reactions: ittigger and DJ TJ
Sorry...I can't wrap my head around all that "country rap" stuff.

Wife and I saw Luke Bryan and Little Big Town on Friday night.

Too much production value and lighting effects for my taste IMHO.

LBT's new CD is produced by Pharrell Williams and it sounds like it....not country but pop.

Reactions: ittigger and BryanK
While we all can suggest a song or two, there is no guarantee that any country song will work.
I'm on the very East "coast" on Pennsylvania, and he people her have a love/hate relationship with Country.
When Country line-dancing was big, we had several dance clubs that did a Country nite.
They got decent crowds, but found that those crowds didn't spend money on drinks.
Our area got our first Country station less than a decade ago.
They get decent ratings, but agencies and commercial clients found they weren't good customers.
The annual Allentown Fair has a history of great concerts, and in their 7-day run, they now have mostly Country artists.

But, yet....play a Country song at a gig around here, and it clears the floor.
I do have wonderful luck with SLOW country songs.
In fact, I tell clients that slow sets are the perfect chance to play country...
especially if the fast songs aren't going over.

Personally, I don't drive myself nuts about it.
Every time I warn a client that Country songs MAY or MAY NOT work...they ALWAYS understand.

I used to work as a sideman musician at The Grand Ole Opry. I only wish you guys could've heard any of the thousands of b!tch and moan sessions I had to endure. It was especially fun when you're standing at the side of the stage, alongside some of those legendary, traditional country artists as they would watch the new acts perform. Priceless.

As for country, I occasionally will have clients that tell me they love country music and want it for their reception. I usually explain it like this; "I spent 14 years working on the Grand Ole Opry. I love country music. That said, it doesn't work on the dance floor. On average, I can work in 1 in about every 8 songs but if you tell me you want mostly country music, I'll play it. Just know that you can either have a dance party or you can have country, but you can't have both." After explaining it that way, I've never yet had a single one still insist on country for their party. Most of the time they thank me for saying it.

I play a lot of country out here in Kansas, as I've mentioned a time or two. Here's what I do, I plan 3, 4 country sets of 3 songs each unless the country requests are just really coming in. These are my standards. I don't play them all at every dance but they are my pool I draw from.
Down At The Twist And Shout-Mary Chapin Carpenter
Adalida-George Strait
Callin' Baton Rouge-Garth Brooks
Long Neck Bottle-Garth Brooks
Chattachoochie-Alan Jackson
Boot Scootin' Boogie-Brooks and Dunn
My Maria-Brooks and Dunn
House Party-Sam Hunt
Crash My Party-Luke Bryan
Fishin' In The Dark-Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
1994-Jason Aldean
Amarillo Sky-Jason Aldean
Amarillo By Morning-George Strait
Fake ID-Big and Rich feat. Gretchen Wilson
Sun Daze-Florida George Line
Knee Deep-Zac Brown Band
Chicken Fried-Zac Brown Band
Biscuts-Kacy Musgraves
Oh, Tonight-Josh Abbott Band feat. Kacy Msgraves
Who I Am-Wade Bowen
Wear My Ring-Bart Crow Band
$50 and a Flask of Crown-Blue Edmonson Band
Oklahoma Breakdown-Stoney LaRue
Drunk On You-Luke Bryan
Don't You Wanna Stay-Jason Aldean feat. Kelly Clarkson
Cruise-Florida Georgia Line
Country Girl (Shake It For Me)-Luke Bryan
Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)-Big and Rich
American Kids-Kenny Chesney
Girl Crush-Little Big Town
Drink A Beer-Luke Bryan
I Don't Dance-Lee Brice
Need You Now-Lady Antebellum
Like Jesus Does-Eric Church
God Gave Me You-Blake Shelton
You Aint Dolly (And You Aint Porter)-Ashley Monroe feat. Blake Shelton
The Dance-Garth Brooks
Runnin' Out of Moonlight-Randy Houser
All My Exes (Live in Texas)-George Strait
Humble and Kind-Tim McGraw
Firecracker-Josh Turner
We Do It In A Field-Granger Smith
Wanted-Hunter Hays
Can't Get Away From A good Time-Logan Mize
Watermelon Crawl-Tracy Byrd
Wagon Wheel- OCMS
Little Red Rodeo-Colin Raye
Next to Me Next To You-Shenendoah
Love the Way You Love Me-John Michael Montgomery

Mostly a mix of 90s, 2000s, and contempary country. Do you need more?

You all ever have any older person with a beer in their hand come up to you while deejaying and say "Hey, I wanna hear some C&W...You got any of that?"

....Been a number of years for me, but it's quite interesting when you have the older drinker type ask for C&W.