This is hitting way below the belt.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
If I WORK for you, I can agree, since it's still your job .. If I'm subbing for you, I won't, since it's now mine.

I refer a gig to you - it's your gig.
If I pay you to work the gig I booked for me..you're working for me.
If you're assisting in some way at a gig I booked for me, you're working for me.

If I was a multi up and gave you a gig, booked it for you, you'd hand out my cards. There is a big multi op here and their cards have their name BIG and the DJ's name smaller. So in that case you're sorta handing your own cards, but the phone number is that of the multi op.

Reactions: Scott Hanna
One big thing missing here is that I've heard of is multi ops that pay over time and not after every event and will take out taxes. So if they wait till after you do 10 events for them and then decide to pay you taking out taxes, that can leave you with making even smaller peanuts. Also what do you think is fair in terms of being paid? How many events would you do before insisting to be paid?

One big thing missing here is that I've heard of is multi ops that pay over time and not after every event and will take out taxes. So if they wait till after you do 10 events for them and then decide to pay you taking out taxes, that can leave you with making even smaller peanuts. Also what do you think is fair in terms of being paid? How many events would you do before insisting to be paid?
If you are a 1099 employee, they shouldn't be taking out taxes. If you are a W2 employee, they should be. If you are a "cash" employee .. then it's all up to you to self-report.

Mix .. the amount they take out in taxes .. should be the SAME as you need to pay in declared income .. so it really shouldn't matter .. assuming one is paying the required taxes on the income.

Last edited:
You would have to pay those taxes either way, You are reporting all of your DJ income aren't you Mix, I mean you wouldn't want to be charged with tax evasion

He won't answer that. I am 1099 by the multi-op in my area. I have to report my taxes every year.

Mix say i got you a gig making $500 but they want top 40 and party rock music only. Could you do the job?

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I refer a gig to you - it's your gig.
If I pay you to work the gig I booked for me..you're working for me.
If you're assisting in some way at a gig I booked for me, you're working for me.

If I was a multi up and gave you a gig, booked it for you, you'd hand out my cards. There is a big multi op here and their cards have their name BIG and the DJ's name smaller. So in that case you're sorta handing your own cards, but the phone number is that of the multi op.

If they are your employee, you can tell them what to do. If they are not your employee (sub contract), then you cannot.

He won't answer that. I am 1099 by the multi-op in my area. I have to report my taxes every year.

Mix say i got you a gig making $500 but they want top 40 and party rock music only. Could you do the job?

NO he could not I believe he calls it tackhead music, what ever the hell that is

Honestly probably the rock music and top 40 depending on what it is. That would mean researching the latest top 40 stuff that's hot right now. As far as me calling certain styles of music tack head music. That's music I say that tack heads listen to.

The thing is you do nice classy events in nice places at times. What I personally hate and refuse to support are those so called artist making songs like I heard last night. One song the guy said I don't sell guns I shoot. The songs kept using the N word, B word and so on. The sad part to me they listen to this stuff and think it's OK. They don't see anything wrong with this.

Now certain songs even though you play a clean version they still know what it really means. And certain crowds don't want the DJ to play clean versions. They want the dirty stuff.

that's the simple version..
Do you 'direct' them? As in tell them what to do?
Do you provide them the tools for the job, or must they buy them themeselves?
Do you provide a place to work? (office, etc)
Do they work only for you? If they are true inde contractor they'll work for others, themselves.
Do you give them a start time/end time/lunchtime, etc, or do you just give them work to do and they are free to pick start/end, etc?
Does the sub have their own liability insurance, report their income on a Sched C, etc? Not all have to, but if they do you as the 'employer' stand a better chance of calling them a 1099 employee.

There is a LOT of gray area out there..Uber drivers are invovled in it as you have set shifts and expectations and rides come form uber and you have to go NOW to get the folks, not when you feel like it. Uber says you only work when you want, provide your own car etc. Uber will for some at least, guarantee a min hourly rate, they don't do 1099s

Does Uber issue 1099s to its drivers? How does the tax situation work? - Quora

If they are your employee, you can tell them what to do. If they are not your employee (sub contract), then you cannot.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
that's the simple version..
Do you 'direct' them? As in tell them what to do?
Do you provide them the tools for the job, or must they buy them themeselves?
Do you provide a place to work? (office, etc)
Do they work only for you? If they are true inde contractor they'll work for others, themselves.
Do you give them a start time/end time/lunchtime, etc, or do you just give them work to do and they are free to pick start/end, etc?
Does the sub have their own liability insurance, report their income on a Sched C, etc? Not all have to, but if they do you as the 'employer' stand a better chance of calling them a 1099 employee.

There is a LOT of gray area out there..Uber drivers are invovled in it as you have set shifts and expectations and rides come form uber and you have to go NOW to get the folks, not when you feel like it. Uber says you only work when you want, provide your own car etc. Uber will for some at least, guarantee a min hourly rate, they don't do 1099s

Does Uber issue 1099s to its drivers? How does the tax situation work? - Quora
Generally, you need to provide a 1099 if you provide someone with more than $600 compensation in the year. My wife is a bookkeeper (self-employed) and usually gets a bunch of 1099s from various clients.

What I personally hate and refuse to support are those so called artist making songs like I heard last night. One song the guy said I don't sell guns I shoot. The songs kept using the N word, B word and so on. The sad part to me they listen to this stuff and think it's OK. They don't see anything wrong with this.

Mix here's the problem most of the area YOU play in like's that tack head stuff, so you either go with the flow or find a new area and different type of people to play for

What I personally hate and refuse to support are those so called artist making songs like I heard last night. One song the guy said I don't sell guns I shoot. The songs kept using the N word, B word and so on. The sad part to me they listen to this stuff and think it's OK. They don't see anything wrong with this.

Mix here's the problem most of the area YOU play in like's that tack head stuff, so you either go with the flow or find a new area and different type of people to play for
it's not me playing for such a crowd. I don't do those types of events once I find out it's a strong possibility of the people at the event insisting you play such stuff. The thing is where I live you can hear this stuff regularly. What do you do confront them for playing that garbage?

it's not me playing for such a crowd. I don't do those types of events once I find out it's a strong possibility of the people at the event insisting you play such stuff. The thing is where I live you can hear this stuff regularly. What do you do confront them for playing that garbage?
What about the question do you pay taxes on your DJ income, Mix you seemed to have forgotten to answer that one

Reactions: Jeff Romard
it's not me playing for such a crowd. I don't do those types of events

And this is why you have no or very few events

I booked the gig (my name/company). I hired you to work for me. MY cards get handed out - not yours. Sorry.
You (general you) are not promoting your biz on my time at my event..no sir, no way.

Been thru this with photographers and it just confuses the f out of the customer. "I hired XY and ZZA is handing out their cards? WTF?"
It's worth with photogs as many, believe all images they take are their images to do with as they please - yes and no. If they work for hire for me I own the copyright. If they want to use them for a printed private portfolio, fine - but NEVER EVER on the web. The last thing eitehr of us wants is to see pics of the same bride/wedding on two different sites or at the same bridal show. REALLY confusing for the consumer.

I remember years ago I was around the corner from a photog and we both had albums..I had to do a double take...same church, same people in the pictures - he did sister a and i did sister b, and they were very similar in appearance and had almost the same bridal party. (my pictures were better BTW)

I'm cool with that...I just wouldn't do the gig.

Let's be honest if you are booking me to do a gig you have booked first off it's subcontracting, I don't work for you. Secondly, you need me worse than I need you if we are in the same business in the same area, and you want me to do a job for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve149

This is why you negotiate the terms before you work for someone. You don't like the terms you don't need to play. If you need the work and they are stuck on terms you don't like then it's a decision you need to make. I'm not a hard ass by any means but when someone is courting me to do a job for them the ball is in my court

it's not me playing for such a crowd. I don't do those types of events

And this is why you have no or very few events
You missed it big time! That kind of crowd is not for me at all! That kind of crowd I've had enough of! A fight can easily break out with that crowd without a warning. Also that crowd normally don't want to pay much and normally where they have their event is very questionable. They won't spend much money on a venue or a DJ. I've also had situations where the guest come in with weapons. Sometimes a gun. It doesn't matter if they are outside with a gun. You can go and do those types of events. I'll pass.

I am frustrated right now with business. I got a call earlier. A lady that knows me from recovery calls me as I was getting ready to go into a meeting. I let her know I would call her back after the meeting. I did so and we talked about the event she's having. The date is Saturday September 24th. It's going to be in a restaurant in downtown Newark, NJ near City Hall. I hate this place. The load in is tough. They have an elevator to get up to the second floor where the little hall is at. So that's nice. You don't need any subs as the room is too small. With both sides opened if you're lucky and that's a tight squeeze you can fit 150 people. The tough load in is because there is no where to park. So you have to double park and hope you don't get a ticket since the police present is right down the street. Then the other issue is where to park once you're finished with getting your gear inside. The restaurant itself is nice. Just the room is to small for me. You hardly have any room for your gear and you.

The event is for this lady celebrating 25 years in recovery. The event is to be from 6:30-10:00 pm. I ask a few questions before I gave her a price quote. I asked how many people are attending the event. She said 30 people. So a very small crowd. I asked her what kind of music she wanted. She said all kinds of music and then narrowed it down to club music what you do. Those were her words. I quoted her a price of $300 and she squawked at that price. She went on tell me about this DJ I know all too well that is a great DJ. She said he wasn't available and that he charges her $200. I don't know why she had to mention his name. I love the guy but what does that have to do with me? He is who he is and I am who I am. What he charges her has nothing to do with me. She said she was good and that ended the conversation.

Of course I know she was looking for me to quote her $200 like that guy would. I don't know who she is going to get but it won't be me. I tried to ask her what did she have in mind to spend? She declined to say what that was. My thing is if were close in price I can consider doing it for their price. $100 difference in price is to far apart for me. It's not like I quoted her 1k and she was looking to pay $900. I would agree to that then. When I quote a price that low, there is barely any room for renegotiation's.

If I WORK for you, I can agree, since it's still your job .. If I'm subbing for you, I won't, since it's now mine.

I disagree here. In my opinion, if I'm subcontracting you, it's still my gig. You are still respresenting my company, just for that evening.

When uber subcontracts a driver, the driver is representing uber. Most uber drivers also get contracted by lyft too.

If I contract temporary help from a staffing agency for the evening, those people are working for my company, albeit just for that evening. The guests shouldn't need to know if they are temporary help or employees.

All of my guys have the ability to book gigs on their own. Most do. I even help show them how to do it if they want. But when I contract them for an evening, they are representing my company. It should be absolutely transparent the the customer.

I have no problem representing another company for an evening, either.

Way to go Mix. Another gig missed. Still haven't answered the question on wether or not you pay taxes on your DJ work. We already know the answer but you keep coming up with new stories to deflect the questions. You are a joke and entertainment on here and no one take you seriously.