This is hitting way below the belt.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Mix when a client calls me asking for a price I ask what, where, and time after that I give them a price. No ok I can do it for this amount, this is the amount take it or find someone else

Reactions: Jeff Romard
You missed it big time! That kind of crowd is not for me at all! That kind of crowd I've had enough of! A fight can easily break out with that crowd without a warning. Also that crowd normally don't want to pay much and normally where they have their event is very questionable. They won't spend much money on a venue or a DJ. I've also had situations where the guest come in with weapons. Sometimes a gun. It doesn't matter if they are outside with a gun. You can go and do those types of events. I'll pass.

These things can happen anywhere if you want to avoid them then you probably should but a safe room in your basement ans stay there

I am frustrated right now with business.

You reap what you sew. You market to the lower end you get the lower end. You NEVER get more than you ask for

I got a call earlier. A lady that knows me from recovery calls me as I was getting ready to go into a meeting. I let her know I would call her back after the meeting. I did so and we talked about the event she's having. The date is Saturday September 24th. It's going to be in a restaurant in downtown Newark, NJ near City Hall. I hate this place. The load in is tough. They have an elevator to get up to the second floor where the little hall is at. So that's nice. You don't need any subs as the room is too small. With both sides opened if you're lucky and that's a tight squeeze you can fit 150 people. The tough load in is because there is no where to park. So you have to double park and hope you don't get a ticket since the police present is right down the street. Then the other issue is where to park once you're finished with getting your gear inside. The restaurant itself is nice. Just the room is to small for me. You hardly have any room for your gear and you.

Do you know what subs are really used for? Subs aren't intended to make it louder, that's a side effect. Subs improve sound quality if used correctly

Do you need them in a small room? No. Will it sound better with them there? Yes

The event is for this lady celebrating 25 years in recovery. The event is to be from 6:30-10:00 pm. I ask a few questions before I gave her a price quote. I asked how many people are attending the event. She said 30 people. So a very small crowd. I asked her what kind of music she wanted. She said all kinds of music and then narrowed it down to club music what you do. Those were her words. I quoted her a price of $300 and she squawked at that price. She went on tell me about this DJ I know all too well that is a great DJ. She said he wasn't available and that he charges her $200. I don't know why she had to mention his name. I love the guy but what does that have to do with me? He is who he is and I am who I am. What he charges her has nothing to do with me. She said she was good and that ended the conversation.

Of course I know she was looking for me to quote her $200 like that guy would. I don't know who she is going to get but it won't be me. I tried to ask her what did she have in mind to spend? She declined to say what that was. My thing is if were close in price I can consider doing it for their price. $100 difference in price is to far apart for me. It's not like I quoted her 1k and she was looking to pay $900. I would agree to that then. When I quote a price that low, there is barely any room for renegotiation's.

If he's that good and that cheap why is she calling you? He's "Not available" because he won't do it for $200 either. If he's that good and works that cheap tell him to move here I'll have him out every weekend and make a killing off him

I disagree here. In my opinion, if I'm subcontracting you, it's still my gig. You are still respresenting my company, just for that evening.

When uber subcontracts a driver, the driver is representing uber. Most uber drivers also get contracted by lyft too.

If I contract temporary help from a staffing agency for the evening, those people are working for my company, albeit just for that evening. The guests shouldn't need to know if they are temporary help or employees.

All of my guys have the ability to book gigs on their own. Most do. I even help show them how to do it if they want. But when I contract them for an evening, they are representing my company. It should be absolutely transparent the the customer.

I have no problem representing another company for an evening, either.
When I said subbing .. I meant substituting .. not sub contracted .. I think we're on the same page .. :)

I disagree here. In my opinion, if I'm subcontracting you, it's still my gig. You are still respresenting my company, just for that evening.

When uber subcontracts a driver, the driver is representing uber. Most uber drivers also get contracted by lyft too.

If I contract temporary help from a staffing agency for the evening, those people are working for my company, albeit just for that evening. The guests shouldn't need to know if they are temporary help or employees.

All of my guys have the ability to book gigs on their own. Most do. I even help show them how to do it if they want. But when I contract them for an evening, they are representing my company. It should be absolutely transparent the the customer.

I have no problem representing another company for an evening, either.

I don't disagree with you - and to keep things nice, when I sub, I do use their cards (and name) and people that sub to me have used mine - but they don't have to. Unless they are your employee, you cannot tell them what to do.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how quick Uber or Lyft (or other similar) will be there when you get into an accident and do not have commercial insurance (rumor has it that if you're operating as a taxi without 'taxi insurance', your private insurance will not cover it).

Reactions: Scott Hanna
This lady called me to see if I was available and how much would I charge to do the event.

First I know place well where she is having the event. It's a nice place. It's roughly a $25-30 per person plate place. Not a $75 a per person plate place. So it's a nice place. Just not the classyest place around. People have events there because the food is good and reasonable.

This is not a place where someone will pay a DJ $500 + to do their event. Also Jeff anybody that been doing this for a while has had someone contact them and when you quote them a price they will mention that another DJ is willing to do it for this price. They just want to see if you will undercut that DJs price and by how much.

This is not my first time where a member of the fellowship has contacted me looking for a friendly price because they are in the fellowship. What I do for the fellowship is one. When someone in the fellowship is having a private event that's something totally different.

Like I said before her mentioning this other DJ has nothing to do with me and how I operate. He's a great DJ and good guy. He's legendary around here. I'm not in competition with him. I'm proud of him and how he has come back to be who he is today.

As far as her saying what she said about what he would charge her. At that point I have a choice. Depending on the difference in our prices determines if I will do it or not for that price.

Thats what happens when you do cheap and free parties all the time. Also people apparently do not think you are worth what you are asking.

Still haven't answered any of those questions. I know you will keep ignoring it.

This lady called me to see if I was available and how much would I charge to do the event.

First I know place well where she is having the event. It's a nice place. It's roughly a $25-30 per person plate place. Not a $75 a per person plate place. So it's a nice place. Just not the classyest place around. People have events there because the food is good and reasonable.

This is not a place where someone will pay a DJ $500 + to do their event. Also Jeff anybody that been doing this for a while has had someone contact them and when you quote them a price they will mention that another DJ is willing to do it for this price. They just want to see if you will undercut that DJs price and by how much.

This is not my first time where a member of the fellowship has contacted me looking for a friendly price because they are in the fellowship. What I do for the fellowship is one. When someone in the fellowship is having a private event that's something totally different.

Like I said before her mentioning this other DJ has nothing to do with me and how I operate. He's a great DJ and good guy. He's legendary around here. I'm not in competition with him. I'm proud of him and how he has come back to be who he is today.

As far as her saying what she said about what he would charge her. At that point I have a choice. Depending on the difference in our prices determines if I will do it or not for that price.
If you get a lot of requests for these .. roll them into your business plan. Figure what you CAN do for a cheaper price (maybe a pair of lightweight speakers and that's it .. and make some money off them .. instead of constantly worrying about them and discussing how cheap some are .. It seems that these are really your audience .. make the most of it.

Where are you? I thought NYCish, right? 25-30/head is low end - even here in the near midwest sticks. A 'decent' hall here is $30-35 food and 15 liquor. CC in the stick can be 75-90, hotels 75-125, classy places 125+.

I hear that too - 'my brohter has gear and will do it for $100' - and its' true, and that's fine if that's what you want. I've seen/heard those Djs. Minimal gear, older/ low end (usually noisy, sometimes unreliable) gear, no lighting, no backup, no insurance.

IS that YOUR business model? if not then it's not your customer anymore than someone going into a Chili's asking for a $4 big mac is a chili's customer. "you want that, call someone that sells that"

You could offer a discount to Fellowship members. I've done free events - MY choice, not anyone asking me to do them. If someone there hears me and asks me to do an event I'd likley quote a high for that event price and kick them a discount. I got a wedding, full price, from someone that heard me play for free. I will gladly give him lighting, an extra hour for free.

Yes, you ARE indeed in competition with him. The buyer is considering you or him...or you as a second choice to him..so yeah, in her mind you ARE similar and competing.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how quick Uber or Lyft (or other similar) will be there when you get into an accident and do not have commercial insurance (rumor has it that if you're operating as a taxi without 'taxi insurance', your private insurance will not cover it).

It's no rumor it's fact. I was in the Taxi business 18 years and you need commercial insurance to operate any vehicle for hire. Delivery services may get away with it because generally speaking in an accident the package won't be damaged and no one will sue....Basically you can deny the vehicle is commercial. With Uber or Lyft there is really no way of getting out of it if there's an accident and regular insurance will not cover you

UberX has some minor insurance coverage ..

Uber requires all of their drivers to have car insurance, and provides supplemental insurance coverage, but only while the app is on. Here’s how it works: When the Uber app is off, a driver is covered by their own personal car insurance. When the Uber app is turned on, a low level of liability insurance becomes active. When a trip is accepted, a higher level of coverage kicks in and remains active until the passenger exits the vehicle. Previously Uber had only offered coverage when a passenger was in the car, but the company updated their policy after a series of accidents which resulted in various lawsuits.

Also, in many states, you have to have a commercial driver's license to pick up any paid rider.

this lady called me to see if I was available and how much would I charge to do the event.

So 30 people at $30/plate that's $900....She obviously can afford that because the restaurant collects upfront. Do you think she called them and told them the Burger King down the street would do it for $4 per person? If she did do you think they would drop their price to compete?

Yes it happens the odd time....Very rare these days but the odd time. I wish them the best of luck and move on

This guy is legendary because he's cheap. He markets to cheap he gets cheap clients and plays a lot. Forget all the GWYW crap you have heard. You refuse to move out of your neighbourhood so make the best of it. Every DJ you mention that undercuts you is between $150 and $300. They are all great DJ's (according to you) so there's your market top end...That's what your market supports why would you charge more than that?

From April to the end of the year I play almost every weekend, sometimes 2 or 3 gigs each weekend. From January -March things are pretty quiet. without looking back I don't recall doing any gigs in January and a couple in February and March each. January's bills still have to be paid regardless if I work or not so I put money aside for that when things are busy but if someone calls me in the middle of January and offers me $300 locally I'm on it...That's $300 I don't have to take out of my pocket. Maybe you don't have the business bills I have but you have to have a phone bill? Music? Insurance?

From what you post if you were doing a $200 gig a month you would be better off than you are now

UberX has some minor insurance coverage ..

Also, in many states, you have to have a commercial driver's license to pick up any paid rider.

If it was me I'd be checking with my own insurance company to see if they would accept this supplemental coverage and getting it in writing before turning a wheel. Insurance companies love loopholes

If you need a ride Steve I'll take one of the first two...You can keep the third ;)

I'm not going to drop a name here but this guy has played at large festivals and been around the world. If he did do an event for her for $200 then it might have been a nice favor. I don't know if what she said is true or not. AGAIN I I have one person I control and that's me.

I'm not going to drop a name here but this guy has played at large festivals and been around the world. If he did do an event for her for $200 then it might have been a nice favor. I don't know if what she said is true or not. AGAIN I I have one person I control and that's me.
What about the question asked of you, Do you pay taxes on your DJ income???

So 30 people at $30/plate that's $900....She obviously can afford that because the restaurant collects upfront. Do you think she called them and told them the Burger King down the street would do it for $4 per person? If she did do you think they would drop their price to compete?

Yes it happens the odd time....Very rare these days but the odd time. I wish them the best of luck and move on

This guy is legendary because he's cheap. He markets to cheap he gets cheap clients and plays a lot. Forget all the GWYW crap you have heard. You refuse to move out of your neighbourhood so make the best of it. Every DJ you mention that undercuts you is between $150 and $300. They are all great DJ's (according to you) so there's your market top end...That's what your market supports why would you charge more than that?

From April to the end of the year I play almost every weekend, sometimes 2 or 3 gigs each weekend. From January -March things are pretty quiet. without looking back I don't recall doing any gigs in January and a couple in February and March each. January's bills still have to be paid regardless if I work or not so I put money aside for that when things are busy but if someone calls me in the middle of January and offers me $300 locally I'm on it...That's $300 I don't have to take out of my pocket. Maybe you don't have the business bills I have but you have to have a phone bill? Music? Insurance?

From what you post if you were doing a $200 gig a month you would be better off than you are now
Jeff I don't know if she paid $900 for those people to attend or not. Or if it cost her more or whatever she did. That's not my concern. My concern is what I'm to be paid. That's what matters to me.

Jeff I don't know if she paid $900 for those people to attend or not. Or if it cost her more or whatever she did. That's not my concern. My concern is what I'm to be paid. That's what matters to me.

Yes I understand that but you said they won't pay $500 for a DJ at that location. She wanted you for $200 yet she spend $900 on food. What does she put value in?

This is not a place where someone will pay a DJ $500 +

It's no rumor it's fact. I was in the Taxi business 18 years and you need commercial insurance to operate any vehicle for hire. Delivery services may get away with it because generally speaking in an accident the package won't be damaged and no one will sue....Basically you can deny the vehicle is commercial. With Uber or Lyft there is really no way of getting out of it if there's an accident and regular insurance will not cover you

That is the 2nd biggest reason why I quit doing Uber. THOUSANDS of Drivers out there looking to earn money as an Uber/Lyft Driver are taking a serious chance with their insurance!

The Main reason I quit is because I realized I was putting wear and tear on my car, and only yielding about 8 bucks an hour after expenses. It wasn't worth it at all to me. In order to earn $150 in a night here in Baltimore, you have to go out and work between 5pm and 3 am on Friday and Saturday night. ...$150 - gas expenses for 10 hours of work isn't worth it to me.

Right now I am doing Amazon Flex delivery. The pay is much better, and I don't have to deal with people. I work a 4 hour block, make $72...spend about $12 on gas and tolls...still $15 an hour take home, and I only work like 11:30 to 3:30 pm shifts on a weekday when I want to. It's not bad at all. Delivering boxes also gives me exercise. I walked over 8000 steps the other day while delivering for Amazon.