This lead depicts a HUGE chunk of the wedding market today..Or not?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
That's where WOM has a huge impact. I'm 43 soon to be 44 and most of my clients are in the mid-20's. Even at my age, they can see that I'm in tune with their wants, desires & needs, along with being told and seeing the reviews. From my personal conversations to my written emails, I relate to them. I can recall a conversation a couple years ago where it was a cold-inquiry (found me on the internet) and due to some of her questions via email I could tell she was a bit nervous on my age and if I was the right choice for her younger guests. In that instance, I found it better to give her a phone call and we talked for about 30 minutes and I answered her concerns. About 30 minutes after that conversation, she sent me an email booking. That was probably my #2 most fun wedding of all time and the FB chatter about how we partied their asses off was a HUGE!

For me, this age group has been my bread-n-butter and ones that I'd rather work along side of. They've been taken care of all of their lives, so they like the fact that I'll be managing everything at the reception. So are their parents. And in my experience they have been a whole lot more appreciative than the older couples.

This also can go back to your first impression if you don't have a WOM base. Your website presence is huge. Some here spend hundreds/possibly thousands on lead sites, instead of investing in their own website that can do the job of selling ones-self so much easier and effectively. When I created my current website, I utilized several past brides as a test group. Their feedback was so valuable in creating the end product. I'm currently getting ready to work on a new site and I'll be doing the same thing with a new group of the younger brides. Color choices, images, wording, layout .. .they help in almost all aspects. So much better than asking for feedback from a dj board. ;)

That's something I know and a challenge I face - i'm NOT my target market, nor is my wife. I have a girl that works for me that I bounce ideas off of, but I need more.

It goes back to what they always said about photography - shoot what you love and show those images, and people that like them will be your customers.
So if your website is appealing to 40 year olds you'll get 40 year old clients, not the 20 somethings.

And that's definitely something I see - but on a good note those that become my clients are 'like me' - i'm not 'faking it' to attract 20 somethings.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
The problem we're up against isn't budget restrictions. It's that the girls all have their online forums, where they can compare notes and share with each other, strategies to get the best deal possible. Unfortunately, honesty doesn't seem to be of much value so more of them start using the same ruse, the same lies to try and squeeze us "over-priced DJs"

Sorry, but in 30 years, I have not had ONE bride that did ANY of this.
Perhaps they called around and compared prices...
but I have never had brides conspire to screw "over priced" DJ's.
It's much easier for them to simply find one who fits their budget.

That's something I know and a challenge I face - i'm NOT my target market, nor is my wife. I have a girl that works for me that I bounce ideas off of, but I need more.

It goes back to what they always said about photography - shoot what you love and show those images, and people that like them will be your customers.
So if your website is appealing to 40 year olds you'll get 40 year old clients, not the 20 somethings.

And that's definitely something I see - but on a good note those that become my clients are 'like me' - i'm not 'faking it' to attract 20 somethings.
Just had to throw a jab in there, didn't you? I'm not faking a damn thing. I do my homework, I stay connected. If I wanted to go back to working $500 gigs, I'd target the older folks and just show up.

Reactions: ittigger
Sorry, but in 30 years, I have not had ONE bride that did ANY of this.
Perhaps they called around and compared prices...
but I have never had brides conspire to screw "over priced" DJ's.
It's much easier for them to simply find one who fits their budget.
I've had a few that wanted my services, but for the other guys fee. I relate to their budget concerns and politely decline the work.

Not a jab per-se - but if I try to be like a 20 year old i'm gonna come across as fake, ingenuine, and likely a weirdo. it's gonna be counterproductive.

I have a 15 year old - there is NO WAY I can hang with him and his friends and fit in. Talking his talk and wearing his clothes won't do it - THEY know it's me trying to be cool, trying to fit in, trying to be liked.

You may still be close enough to their age, mid 20s, to pull it off - but a 60 year old saying 'dude' and loving kanye just comes across as trying too hard, lets say.

Now when I do sports photography I do well - I have kids young enough that I can identify and converse on the proper level with the other parents.
When it comes to HS seniors I can kill it with the parents - but not with the kids. A 22 year old photog would do well with the kids but BE a kid to the parents, the ones that pay this bill.

think of a 20 year old going to buy clothes at the mall - will a 25 year old salesperson or a 60 year old salesperson do better? the 60 year old may very well know what is cool but is the 20 year old really gonna take their suggestions seriously? Even if they dress and talk right - it won't work as well as a 25 year old.

As soon as you come across as 'grandpa' to the bride you're doomed. Maybe she had a really cool grandpa..but most are old fuddy duddy men that are so out of touch with 'the kids these days' .

Just had to throw a jab in there, didn't you? I'm not faking a damn thing. I do my homework, I stay connected. If I wanted to go back to working $500 gigs, I'd target the older folks and just show up.

Not a jab per-se - but if I try to be like a 20 year old i'm gonna come across as fake, ingenuine, and likely a weirdo. it's gonna be counterproductive.

I have a 15 year old - there is NO WAY I can hang with him and his friends and fit in. Talking his talk and wearing his clothes won't do it - THEY know it's me trying to be cool, trying to fit in, trying to be liked.

You may still be close enough to their age, mid 20s, to pull it off - but a 60 year old saying 'dude' and loving kanye just comes across as trying too hard, lets say.

Now when I do sports photography I do well - I have kids young enough that I can identify and converse on the proper level with the other parents.
When it comes to HS seniors I can kill it with the parents - but not with the kids. A 22 year old photog would do well with the kids but BE a kid to the parents, the ones that pay this bill.

think of a 20 year old going to buy clothes at the mall - will a 25 year old salesperson or a 60 year old salesperson do better? the 60 year old may very well know what is cool but is the 20 year old really gonna take their suggestions seriously? Even if they dress and talk right - it won't work as well as a 25 year old.

As soon as you come across as 'grandpa' to the bride you're doomed. Maybe she had a really cool grandpa..but most are old fuddy duddy men that are so out of touch with 'the kids these days' .

Then, I think you could have worded it as such.

I have found that you don't have to talk like them....that's a dead give-a-way that you're a wannabe. What they are looking for is someone that understands their vision & makes it happen. And, doesn't show up in a Matlock suit. ;)

At what point does the prospect, or you when you shop, feel you've been had, lead astray, lied to? Consumers are tired of 'come-ons'.

So do you put a picture of you on your site or not? Just pictures of pretty young girls maybe? People expect some of that - you're gonna post the picture of the full dance floor at the best place in town, not the empty floor at the vfw I'm sure.

But if you pay a marketing company and pro writer to do up your site, marketing material and can't back it up on the phone and in person - you speak plainly not in the flowery feeling-oriented words on your site, have a lot of 'i know where you're coming from' and then are the opposite sex and 20 years older and such you may have issues closing deals, or get less or bad wom.

You set their expectations and then throw them a curve ball.

Wanna experience this first hand? Go home shopping- the images on the biz cards is nothing like the face that goes along with them in person. It's common for female RE agents to get a pic and not change it for 10, 15, even 20 years!

Absolute valid points and why I rely on personal WOM to benefit my schedule. Most of my clients are friends of past brides or guests of the wedding. They see me in action or trust their friends in telling them they need to hire me. Honestly, if your schedule is not getting referral business, you should be concerned on why past clients aren't telling others about you.

My about us page: About Us | Party Tunes Dj Service

Pretty close to what I really look like, minus my beard color which I do let fade (to salt-n-pepper) at times. What I portrait on my website is what I can deliver, I can only talk for myself. But, I know several guys (some here included) that I know do a fantastic job, yet their online presence is sub-par. I personally believe that is impacts what your perceived worth is. It's hard to sell a $50 steak, if all your advertising is a $10 hamburger. ;)

Btw, we purchased a new home just last year. The image of our realtor and his lady partner were about 10 years old. But, our choice to go with him was based off all of their reviews and homework we did in selecting an agent.

At what point does the prospect, or you when you shop, feel you've been had, lead astray, lied to? Consumers are tired of 'come-ons'.

So do you put a picture of you on your site or not? Just pictures of pretty young girls maybe? People expect some of that - you're gonna post the picture of the full dance floor at the best place in town, not the empty floor at the vfw I'm sure.

But if you pay a marketing company and pro writer to do up your site, marketing material and can't back it up on the phone and in person - you speak plainly not in the flowery feeling-oriented words on your site, have a lot of 'i know where you're coming from' and then are the opposite sex and 20 years older and such you may have issues closing deals, or get less or bad wom.

You set their expectations and then throw them a curve ball.

Wanna experience this first hand? Go home shopping- the images on the biz cards is nothing like the face that goes along with them in person. It's common for female RE agents to get a pic and not change it for 10, 15, even 20 years!

Since we're on this topic. What's the one thing that sets you apart from your competition?

My passion for what I do. People normally see me having fun doing my job. That means not being a gig whore. Doing jobs just because they have money to spend.

Mix,
You post about people that don't hire you for $400. Based on your posts, I'd say the possibility of you ever being a gig whore is not your problem. Sounds like you need as much practice as you can get.

Passion for what you do will lead you to get better at things that others may not be, because your passion leads you to practice and do things that others are not.

I'd call appearing to have fun is a basic skill that all djs should have. If that truly is the best thing you can offer customers, you are going to have difficulty.