This one's different - election night coverage

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I've done a few sound events for a county Republican party the past couple of years. My last was a Ben Carson appearance, back when he was hot. They just had an intern contact me for a quote on an election night setup. This is a Tuesday and about 4 hours long. They'll have 350 guests, which will be split between two separate rooms, which are about 150 feet apart. The first room is a dining room that will hold 150-200. The second is a ballroom that will hold about 200-250. They want a large screen with projector in each room and the feed will be election night coverage from broadcast TV. I realize this likely violates re-broadcast rules but it's a private event, it's what they want, so I'm down with it.

The club manager, a friend of mine, is on vacation and they don't want to wait for verification that it can be done, they just want to know how much so they can decide if they can afford it or not. The TV feed does not need audio, just video. I'm looking at setting up speakers in both rooms and tying them together, probably with a wireless speaker link. I quoted them an estimate of $950, barring any extraordinary difficulty in getting the TV feed. Incidentally, here's what they said over the weekend;

I just wanted to let you know that I believe Matt is currently on vacation and won't be back for a few days. If you could just give me an estimate that would be great. Are you thinking $500-$700, or more around the range of $1500-$1800?

I didn't want to be in the budget range, and I didn't want to try and tap them for everything I could get and risk having them look elsewhere. My gut is that I've gained their trust and as long as I keep doing a good job for them, I've got a long-term account that will just keep coming back again and again. Would be interested to hear your perspectives on the price quoted. Also, just wanted to share the idea.

I think you could probably go $1200 on it and be safe. I'm doing a similar one this weekend for a Municipal election candidate. They have the screens I need to supply audio and some music for the after party. It's all in one room and for about 6 hours total for $700

Hmmm...I don't provide large screens, so I have no idea how to price that.

There is one big factor which would make this advantageous to me...Election night is a week night. The demand is VERY LOW...at least for me. I would be eager to get the booking. How long is set up for this event going to be? ...If it isn't more than a couple of hours, I think I would go a bit lower than $950. $700 seems fine to me since it's a Tuesday...BUT if these screens are very expensive, I can see asking for more money.

You are not deejaying, I take from this, correct? Just set up and providing the video feed, and audio services?

There's no issue with displaying the TV feed because it's not a commercial use, and not a rebroadcast.
Your rates are unusually low. I would be at least $2800 - $3600 for that.

Hmmm...I don't provide large screens, so I have no idea how to price that.

There is one big factor which would make this advantageous to me...Election night is a week night. The demand is VERY LOW...at least for me. I would be eager to get the booking. How long is set up for this event going to be? ...If it isn't more than a couple of hours, I think I would go a bit lower than $950. $700 seems fine to me since it's a Tuesday...BUT if these screens are very expensive, I can see asking for more money.

You are not deejaying, I take from this, correct? Just set up and providing the video feed, and audio services?

Yes on your last question. I expect this will take about an hour to setup. I'm probably going to buy another 10' screen (I have a couple of 10' screens that could be used, but I want to upgrade) that will run $250. I also need to buy VGA extenders and cable that should run about $200. Basically, this gig will let me upgrade my inventory, which I need for other corporate A/V events, and I'll pocket $500.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
There's no issue with displaying the TV feed because it's not a commercial use, and not a rebroadcast.
Your rates are unusually low. I would be at least $2800 - $3600 for that.

I think Rick wants to actually book the gig and earn a fair amount of money for the time he invests in doing the event rather than sit at home and claim to charge $2,800 to $3,600 for such an event.

I don't see where the client will see value in spending $2,800 on what they are asking for.

I think Rick wants to actually book the gig and earn a fair amount of money for the time he invests in doing the event rather than sit at home and claim to charge $2,800 to $3,600 for such an event.

I don't see where the client will see value in spending $2,800 on what they are asking for.
A politician looking bad takes a LOT more resources to undo.

You're exactly correct. If I remember correctly, I charged a few hundred for audio-only for the Carson event. I think I can get $1k without too much angst, or cause motivation to look elsewhere. While it's true, I might possibly get $3k, I'm willing to bet they'd shop elsewhere. This group is a good bunch to get in with and it will be in my best interests to be hanging with them on election night, rather than sitting at home wondering why I didn't get the gig. They gave me 2 ranges, which they expected me to be at. I think it's safest to be couched right in the middle.

You're exactly correct. If I remember correctly, I charged a few hundred for audio-only for the Carson event. I think I can get $1k without too much angst, or cause motivation to look elsewhere. While it's true, I might possibly get $3k, I'm willing to bet they'd shop elsewhere. This group is a good bunch to get in with and it will be in my best interests to be hanging with them on election night, rather than sitting at home wondering why I didn't get the gig. They gave me 2 ranges, which they expected me to be at. I think it's safest to be couched right in the middle.
I agree. They said their top budget is $1,800. Why would they pay $1,000-$1,800 more then what they want to pay? Just because it's a presidential election? I see what your aim is and that is to improve on what you offer so when you get more inquires about doing such a thing you can ask for more then $950. Good luck with getting the job.

Well, got verbal acceptance of my price yesterday. Waiting on "official" acceptance from a party official. After speaking with the club manager yesterday, he said they have excellent wifi coverage, so I have the option of streaming to one screen and using a vga extender (just ordered this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E07GRWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), or I could just setup 2 PCs and have each one stream, independently. I'm intending to setup a wireless mic with powered QSC K10 in the smaller room, then use my GTD setup with a 1/4" bodypack to feed 2 more K10s in the other room, 150-200 feet away. I can also pull cable if needed. I'm going to go ahead and buy a 2nd, nicer screen (aluminum box frame), which I've been wanting to do for my mitzvah events anyways. Hopefully, this will be as simple as just setting everything up, then hang out, eat their food and watch election results (which I was going to do at home).

Sounds good .. only thing I might change are the GtD mics .. not that they won't work, but appearances are everything in politics and people are used to seeing the big three (AT, Shure, Sennheiser) and that impression alone might be enough to get you more business. I would rent a pair (or 3) of what the local rental shop has.

Sounds good .. only thing I might change are the GtD mics .. not that they won't work, but appearances are everything in politics and people are used to seeing the big three (AT, Shure, Sennheiser) and that impression alone might be enough to get you more business. I would rent a pair (or 3) of what the local rental shop has.

I have a Sennheiser for the hand-held duties. I was talking about doing a wireless link between systems for the GTD.

Reactions: steve149
I have a Sennheiser for the hand-held duties. I was talking about doing a wireless link between systems for the GTD.
missed that .. Chive on ..

Check to see what others are charging to rent the screens, and start there.
Just off the top, I think you should get at least a grand.
Especially since it's not coming directly out of anyone's pockets, it's coming from campaign funds.
Hell, Trump is charging his own campaign to use his resorts, airplane, catering and golf clubs.
I'm pretty sure he's charging the campaign TOP dollar for everything.

Check to see what others are charging to rent the screens, and start there.
Just off the top, I think you should get at least a grand.
Especially since it's not coming directly out of anyone's pockets, it's coming from campaign funds.
Hell, Trump is charging his own campaign to use his resorts, airplane, catering and golf clubs.
I'm pretty sure he's charging the campaign TOP dollar for everything.
Still better than Hillary paying herself via her Foundation.

Still better than Hillary paying herself via her Foundation.

But Donald called some woman fat 20 years ago, and said the F and P word in a private conversation not knowing he was being recorded. He is not leader material, nor presidential...Hitlary is leader material. Just look at how many things she is responsible for, and can get away free and clear without any disciplinary action!

Supported arming Syrian Jihadists which led to rise of ISIS
4 Dead Americans in Benghazi
33,000 emails...Lied under Oath about it
Took Clinton Foundation money (and LOTS OF IT) from countries that oppress women...
Intimidated Bill Clinton's Rape Victims
Laughed about defending a child rapist
Called KKK leader Robert Byrd her "mentor"
Russian Uranium Deal
Takes Tens of Millions of Dollars in Special Interest money in the form of "Speaking Fees, and other disingenuous forms of compensation

So basically, we have concluded that Hitlary should be elected President...Donald Trump is a very bad sexist man who is not fit to be president.

:protest::director::hippy2:

But Donald called some woman fat 20 years ago, and said the F and P word in a private conversation not knowing he was being recorded. He is not leader material, nor presidential...Hitlary is leader material. Just look at how many things she is responsible for, and can get away free and clear without any disciplinary action!

Supported arming Syrian Jihadists which led to rise of ISIS
4 Dead Americans in Benghazi
33,000 emails...Lied under Oath about it
Took Clinton Foundation money (and LOTS OF IT) from countries that oppress women...
Intimidated Bill Clinton's Rape Victims
Laughed about defending a child rapist
Called KKK leader Robert Byrd her "mentor"
Russian Uranium Deal
Takes Tens of Millions of Dollars in Special Interest money in the form of "Speaking Fees, and other disingenuous forms of compensation

So basically, we have concluded that Hitlary should be elected President...Donald Trump is a very bad sexist man who is not fit to be president.

:protest::director::hippy2:

The thing that scares me most about Hitlary is the apparent lack of anything even remotely resembling a conscience. With all the illegal, treasonous, murdering things she's done, while not really wielding any real power, I can't begin to imagine the level of depravity she'd sink to if she were given the big hammer. God help us all if she gets it.

Without completely knowing the specs I would guess we'd be in the 1200-1500+ range if it was local (no transportation)...I would have a feed for each room, plus a way to daisy them should one feed go down. It's too important (to them) to have a jittery source.

I'm not a fan of relying on wifi for streaming...I prefer a more reliable connection or at the very least a second option at the ready.

The thing that scares me most about Hitlary is the apparent lack of anything even remotely resembling a conscience. With all the illegal, treasonous, murdering things she's done, while not really wielding any real power, I can't begin to imagine the level of depravity she'd sink to if she were given the big hammer. God help us all if she gets it.

I have been saying it since Obama was re elected back in 2012. If the Republicans can't get into the white house in 2016, then conservatism is going down hill. I am very worried about the Clintons getting back into the white house with Hilary at the helm. I belive relations with Russia will truly fall apart. Prices on everything is going to go way up. Health care is going to be very, very expensive. Many refugees will be brought into America to continue with the Globalization process. Liberalism will reign supreme moving forward.

I am in trump country where I live but a few miles away, and it's all mostly Clinton supporters in Baltimore City. I have a lot of teacher friends...they are all liberals...listening to them rationalize the policies of democrats, and support Hilary for president boggles my mind. Even if every republican voter and Trump leaning independent (very, very few of them out there) votes here in Maryland...I believe Hilary will still win in this state. Just too many democrats in Baltimore City, and Montgomery and PG Counties...Those 3 areas enough will pull in enough support for Hilary to win here.

We did elect a Republican Governor for the first time in a long time because of all the disgust most people had with our last Governor. Governor Hogan's approval ratings is above 70% too, so that's a good sign for the state of Maryland. Of course, our governor does not support Trump.

I see Trump as the only Wild Card who will fight globalism, and truly try to make things better moving forward for USA. Apparently, I am a deplorable person for believing that...

boggles my mind

That's how everyone feels about the "other side" in politics. That's why its so divisive, and almost impossible to talk about constructively. Everyone thinks the other side is nuts.