This sound system was way overkill, but...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

dunlopj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 14, 2008
Belair MD
Wifey and I attended a wedding near Pittsburgh last weekend.

The DJ and his (beautiful) wife did the outdoor ceremony and reception.

The ceremony was great because the Shure lapel mic he used picked up the minister as well as the B+G clearly and with no noise or feedback - refreshing.

As we chatted before the ceremony started, he said "Wait till you see my sound system. It sounds amazing."

So imagine my surprise when I walked in and saw this. I imagined it'd be too loud for this 65 person reception.

But he kept the level down and even when dancing started and he turned it up, it was smooth and not harsh at all! I stood right next to the speakers and it STILL sounded great.

So while he may have brought a huge sound system, he used it well. Now his MC skills...to many "at this time's" and no real personal details to the announcements.

Attachments

• IMG_1345.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 88
I used to bring a stack like that .. Yorkville Unity tops/subs .. stood about 6.5' tall. Their setup looks old school .. maybe bought about 10 years ago.

I was an "audiophile/classical music lover" before becoming a DJ. If you are familiar with Fulton Modular J's, Infinity QRS/1D's, KlipschHorns, etc., you know that having a large system doesn't automatically mean a loud system. You are trying to reproduce the sound of what (at times) are some 120 people banging on things, blowing in things, and sawing on things, and there is a visceral feel a large system produces (even at low volumes) that a small system can't.

I've mentioned it before, but that is why my pair of 15" subs go to every gig (no matter how small), and I don't play music loud. There are plenty of good reasons not to bring subs, but sound quality will never be one of them.

Last edited:
WOW....Police Siren Beacon lights being used as lighting effects in 2016!!!! ...Say it ain't so!

ON the contrary...I did a 150 person wedding tonight with a pair of Alto 10" TS110As on stands...No Subs. Venue doesn't allow Subs. Also, 3 flights of stairs...I wasn't lugging my heavy speakers up those stairs. ...The Room was packed in, so not a big room. The audio sounded great!

I had no issues with my Shure BLX lav mic at this wedding today, and the bride and groom was also picked up by the officiant's MIC. Overall, it was an awesome wedding down in D.C. ...I just got home...surprisingly, I am not that tired even though I made like a hundred trips up and down multiple flights of stairs tonight.

As a Dj outside pittsburgh..not atypical of this area.

Wedding last night I had 120 people and just two 12" tops...more than enough.
Room next door had 4 tops (can't tell much more, just stuck my head in out of curiosity) spread along the long side of the room. As my event (afternoon wedding) ended they started their intro announcements..feedback on every damned sentence on their mic. No clue what they were doing..just continous feedback.

I had none- 'cheap' GTD mics and I used them on the floor (garter/bouquet) as well as in front of the one speaker (it was against the wall behind me abit to allow people to get around me). Not a hint of feedback.

It's not so much the gear as knowing how to use it, get the most from it.

Reactions: SEDJ and DJ Ricky B
I was an "audiophile/classical music lover" before becoming a DJ. If you are familiar with Fulton Modular J's, Infinity QRS/1D's, KlipschHorns, etc., you know that having a large system doesn't automatically mean a loud system. You are trying to reproduce the sound of what (at times) are some 120 people banging on things, blowing in things, and sawing on things, and there is a visceral feel a large system produces (even at low volumes) that a small system can't.

I've mentioned it before, but that is why my pair of 15" subs go to every gig (no matter how small), and I don't play music loud. There are plenty of good reasons not to bring subs, but sound quality will never be one of them.
Yep,,,, I use dual 15 subs x 2 for my small setup,,,,, no matter how many people there are,,,,, I don't have to play it loud. I never stretch my equipment. Even when I want to knock the ceiling tiles out of the place I'm only bumping one light or two on all of the meters! I guess my system would be old school!

The rig is old school for the most part. Par cans, police beacons, I beam truss, huge rack. I think most of us are opting for more portability now days unless performing for a large audience.

The rig is old school for the most part. Par cans, police beacons, I beam truss, huge rack. I think most of us are opting for more portability now days unless performing for a large audience.

It quite likely sounds better than most of us that have chosen portable...Not that most clients would notice

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the wires that are showing. I've seen a lot worse than that for sure but that's something that gets picked up on the boards immediately

It quite likely sounds better than most of us that have chosen portable...Not that most clients would notice

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the wires that are showing. I've seen a lot worse than that for sure but that's something that gets picked up on the boards immediately
I think the orange power cord is worse .. :)

I think the orange power cord is worse .. :)

Hey I resemble that remark ;)

I'm by no means a wire Nazi I try to make things neat but I don't take it to the extreme. That particular setup could have looked a lot neater by putting the computer wires under the skirt though

Reactions: ittigger
Jeff, I'm thinking these photos were taken before the set up was complete since there's a couple of loose ends - like the ac adapter in the middle of the table among other things. I'm also guilty of not getting every cable perfectly out of sight, but I at least spend a few minutes cleaning them up.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the wires that are showing.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the blonde in black. She cued and played the music only. He MC'd and suggested to her (his wife) what to play.

She was so nice and sweet. Even he admitted that she was "the face" of his web site.

After setup was completed, the only items on the table were the laptop and two books of CD's...

Why is it automatically assumed this system was over kill? It depends on how things are set including the master volume. Just because it looks like it can blast out a room doesn't mean you have to. The other thing is all you see is a picture of the setup and not the entire room.