Today the future arrived!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I don't think you will save any money in the long run but you might save some headaches

I love the idea of having it as an option. But despite living in one of the worst traffic areas in the country... I really enjoy driving. If the rest of my life was purely as a passenger, I'd feel like I was missing something for sure.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
I love the idea of having it as an option. But despite living in one of the worst traffic areas in the country... I really enjoy driving. If the rest of my life was purely as a passenger, I'd feel like I was missing something for sure.

In our line of business as mobile DJs we need a vehicle. Also, I HATE relying on public transportation. Taking the Metro to get to work everyday, then hopping on a bus to get home...NO THANKS!

Also, I need to be able to take a drive on my own accord when I choose to. I use to be into muscle cars. I will eventually get back into that when the time is right. If I came into a lot of money, I would be purchasing a C7 Corvette or a Camaro SS. I'm more than likely 10 - 15 year away from doing that though.

In our line of business as mobile DJs we need a vehicle. Also, I HATE relying on public transportation. Taking the Metro to get to work everyday, then hopping on a bus to get home...NO THANKS!

Also, I need to be able to take a drive on my own accord when I choose to. I use to be into muscle cars. I will eventually get back into that when the time is right. If I came into a lot of money, I would be purchasing a C7 Corvette or a Camaro SS. I'm more than likely 10 - 15 year away from doing that though.
thats just the way society has trained us, I have friends in Europe who have never even thought of owning a car, public transportation is so convenient there, its cheap and easily accessible

Yesterday, I heard that there will be no more semi truck drivers 20 years from now. It looks like many jobs connected with driving will get phased out in the not so distant future.

Yesterday, I heard that there will be no more semi truck drivers 20 years from now. It looks like many jobs connected with driving will get phased out in the not so distant future.
what about the Ice Road Truckers???

I think long haul trucking is a perfect fit for a driverless vehicle ..

Reactions: ittigger
View attachment 30783

Let's talk to the Tesla driverless test vehicle passenger! OH Wait HE WAS NOT AVAILABLE FOR COMMENT CAUSE HE IS DEAD!
The Tesla system was NEVER designed for autonomous driving .. and probably should never have been labeled AutoPilot.

It just didn't have enough sensors to do a 100% job.

Reactions: Dan The Man
The machines are coming for us all! Just like OZZY Said. I AM IRON MAN.

When OZZY smoked dope,,,,he. Could see into the future!!!! :laugh::worriedsmoker::explodenuker:

Last edited:
I think long haul trucking is a perfect fit for a driverless vehicle ..

It is, and Daimler (Freightliner) and Volvo have been testing semi-autonomous trucks for a few years now.
They have also been testing multiple self driving trucks in a convoy playing follow the leader or "platooning" as they call it where the lead truck sends commands to the vehicles behind it to accelerate, decelerate, brake etc.

I say semi-autonomous as the driver is still needed for the first and last mile of the journey.
Backing into loading docks, coupling and uncoupling trailers etc.
Once that is able to be done without the the driver's interaction, then and only then will they become true drones.

We are still a long way off from having totally driverless vehicles, private or commercial.

The challenge in the short term is people who are behind the wheel of semi-autonomous vehicles will become complacent when they are still supposed to be paying attention to the road possibly causing more crashes than the technology is supposed to eliminate.

There are already reports of vehicles using adaptive cruise control still running into vehicles that have stopped or slowed to quickly. Short term I think I will be even more scared behind the wheel when these other idiots think it's ok to be texting and playing with their phones or tablets when using a self driving vehicle when they should still be paying attention to the road.

This person thinks we still have a very long way to go if it will even happen at all:

Fully autonomous cars are unlikely, says America’s top transportation safety official

Reactions: ittigger
A quote from that article you linked to:

"Fully autonomous cars are further divided into user-operated and driverless vehicles. Because of regulatory and insurance questions, user-operated fully autonomous cars will come to market within the next five years, while driverless cars will remain a long ways off".

There is a definite difference between self driving and totally driverless.

A quote from that article you linked to:

"Fully autonomous cars are further divided into user-operated and driverless vehicles. Because of regulatory and insurance questions, user-operated fully autonomous cars will come to market within the next five years, while driverless cars will remain a long ways off".

There is a definite difference between self driving and totally driverless.
I think I disagree there then ... while there may be challenges from labor groups, I think a driverless big rig on a highway is safer than a user-operated, fully-autonomous car is in the suburbs. .. especially when you can schedule them over-night.

Reactions: Dan The Man