Weddings Traditional Ethnic Weddings.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
Fun Traditional Ethnic Weddings! Ones filled with Tradition and Dancing.

What in your opinion is the most fun Traditional Wedding you have done as far as Ethnic Groups go (Irish, Italian, Greek, African, Indian etc)?

You forgot "Redneck".
They seem to be the most fun around here!

I've done Italian, and Irish...but neither has been "traditional" in the ethnic sense...
although I did play some traditional ethnic songs.
It was just a group that happened to be mostly Irish or mostly Italian.

Reactions: ahoustondj
Jewish weddings are pretty neat as well.

The only "really" Jewish wedding I did....the groom was Jewish, the bride was Bolivian.
They had traditional dances from BOTH sides of the family.
*(I've had brides and grooms that WERE Jewish, but none of them did anything traditional)

Reactions: steve149
For me, Armenian, hands down, especial the giving the gold part. Second would be Ugandan, then Cuban, then Polish.

The one most memorable ethnic wedding I've ever had was at the Desmond-American in Albany two decades ago. The bride was white, Greek, and Jewish. The groom was black, Panamanian, and Catholic. After playing one kalamatianos and salsa, and American tune, it was evident neither side was familiar with the other sides native dances. My fourth song was a hasapika and I DEMANDED (capitol letters to indicate strong strong repetitive urging) that no Greek should be holding another Greek's hand and that there had better be a Panamanian in training between each. Well, my friends, it worked perfectly. Then, the next track was a meringue and the same held for the Panamanians to grab a Greek. It worked.

Now everybody was into each others dancing and I played maybe 10 traditional songs all night. The rest was ethnic and the floor was absolutely packed. I thank my lucky stars I know ethnic music (and their dances) because without that knowledge, it would've been a long night for the guests in lesser hands.

Last edited:
I liked the traditional Greek dances the best especially the plate dance. Many times I have done at least part of the night with traditional Polish also