Transportation Van/Trailer

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJStevieRay

I Like Pizza
i did find an old thread but I wanted to reopen a discussion on vans and trailers.
I have outgrown my Chrystler T&C. So I started looking at trailers, Box trucks, extended Ford E350 and the tall and extended Ford Transit 3500.
My biggest dilemma is fitting all of the gear, and up to 5 man crew with photobooth.
Here were my considerations...

Used E350 15,000 miles $26,000 - it is a passenger van, but I can remove the last three rows of seats for cargo and still seat 5.
Positives, enough space, great/reliable drivetrain with lots of power.
Major downfall is Windows all the way around.

Ford Transit 2500/3500 cargo - new - $37,000.
Pros lots of space can stand up.
Cons cost, will cost another $8000 to unfit with crew seating.

Cargo Trailer (customized 6x12) - new - $6500. (Towed by my crew cad Dodge Dakota)
Pros - lots of space, cheaper option
Cons - worried about theft and parking. (Ausumn are there any venues that are a bitch to park a trailer?)

If I get the trailer, hers is what I am getting...
White 6ft x 12 ft trailer
Tandem Axels
Torsion Suspension
Brakes
Wall E Track
Dome light or LED interior lighting
120V Power Outlet
Rear ramp with top and bottom transitions
Insulated
Rubber, or some kind of lining on the floor.
Spare Tire with spare tire carrier.
Dolly Wheel

Stevie, my opinion, a van is far, far superior to any trailer. Trailers cause all kinds of parking and loading considerations. Besides, they are magnitudes more dangerous in driving. A good, commercial-style van is, by far, the best choice for a mobile DJ operation.

Reactions: DJStevieRay
$48,000 is a hefty investment though.

$48,000? I bought a used Chevy express cargo van with 140k miles on it for $5200. Another $800 to get some exhaust work done and I'm good for at least another 100k miles.

$48,000? I bought a used Chevy express cargo van with 140k miles on it for $5200. Another $800 to get some exhaust work done and I'm good for at least another 100k miles.

Don't Jinx yourself Rick.

Our 1997 Chevy Express Cargo Van turned into a big money pit around 2011. We had less than 140,000 miles on it. Spent $3,800 on it to get everything it needed back into pristine order...then it broke down a couple more times, and we sold it. Great Van for a 13 years then all the issues started happening.

I need at least 8 ft of cargo space and seating for 5. So that leaves Sprinter or Transit. The Transit cargo unfitted with a crew cab is almost $48k. A sprinter cargo/crew is $50k+ or I found a used one for $20k with over 300,000 miles and one with 60k miles for close to $35k. Seating for 5 and at least 8 ft cargo space is a very specialty item. Which is why I heavily considered a trailer towed by a crew cab truck. I have found a bunch of box trucks for $10k or less, but none had seating for more than 3. When you provide a 2 man DJ crew a 2 person photobooth, pipe & drape, percussionist and more. You need to transport the people and gear.

The three options I listed are the three I figure are my best options.

I need at least 8 ft of cargo space and seating for 5. So that leaves Sprinter or Transit. The Transit cargo unfitted with a crew cab is almost $48k. A sprinter cargo/crew is $50k+ or I found a used one for $20k with over 300,000 miles and one with 60k miles for close to $35k. Seating for 5 and at least 8 ft cargo space is a very specialty item. Which is why I heavily considered a trailer towed by a crew cab truck. I have found a bunch of box trucks for $10k or less, but none had seating for more than 3. When you provide a 2 man DJ crew a 2 person photobooth, pipe & drape, percussionist and more. You need to transport the people and gear.

Can't you break it into 2 vehicles? That also gives you backup in case of accident or breakdown.

When you provide a 2 man DJ crew a 2 person photobooth, pipe & drape, percussionist and more. You need to transport the people and gear.

Not necessarily. That more depends on your arrangement with those employees/sub contractors.

Every time I have worked a event with multiple entertainment vendors everyone showed up in their own car. At most I have seen a DJ and assistant or a photographer and their 2nd photographer use the same vehicle.

I actually don't see how dropping $48,000 on a Vehicle, and paying all those employees makes sense?

I would haul gear in a small box truck, give the assistant a ride, and tell everybody else to drive there. Pay them for mileage if needed.

The people I bring are my employees. I feel more secure bringing them with me rather than them getting lost going to a venue that may be 2 hours from us.

But really this whole discussion is spiraling the wrong way.

I am just trying to make an informed decision from people who use vans vs trailers. I want to keep everything loaded in a single vehicle. I am kind of sick of loading and unloading gear every week.

So to add to the discussion. Tell me why you love your trailer or Van.

Steve that is what I currently do. I want to simplify my life.

The people I bring are my employees. I feel more secure bringing them with me rather than them getting lost going to a venue that may be 2 hours from us.

But really this whole discussion is spiraling the wrong way.

I am just trying to make an informed decision from people who use vans vs trailers. I want to keep everything loaded in a single vehicle. I am kind of sick of loading and unloading gear every week.

So to add to the discussion. Tell me why you love your trailer or Van.

Steve that is what I currently do. I want to simplify my life.

I go out by myself and I use a Traverse. No way would I bother with a Trailer in my area. 90% of my gigs are in Urban/Suburban areas where a trailer just isn't really feasible. I do load in and out. I load up every Friday night or during the day if I just happen to have a Friday night gig. Gig on Saturday, and then Load my equipment back into my storage unit on Sunday around 11 am/Noon. It's just standard with me.

Reactions: DJStevieRay
some of this depends on your location, are you in a major metropolitan area where parking is a concern, I have always used a trailer which I love as it can stay loaded, every piece of gera I own is always in it, but l almost never have to worry about finding a place to park it, I would not buy the window van to much risk in that one, I have had them long ago, I had an unsecured speaker take out a side window in January, I'm in Wisconsin, that was a cold ride home.
what about something like this
box.jpg

I've had a trailer fish-tail on me before. Once that happens, you'll be spooked also and that's besides the fact of PITA parking, unloading, etc. With a cargo van, the gear stays loaded. When it's time to leave I just get in the van and drive. So far, I'm extremely impressed with the reliability on this Chevy. Fingers crossed that it continues.

i did find an old thread but I wanted to reopen a discussion on vans and trailers.
I have outgrown my Chrystler T&C. So I started looking at trailers, Box trucks, extended Ford E350 and the tall and extended Ford Transit 3500.
My biggest dilemma is fitting all of the gear, and up to 5 man crew with photobooth.
Here were my considerations...

Used E350 15,000 miles $26,000 - it is a passenger van, but I can remove the last three rows of seats for cargo and still seat 5.
Positives, enough space, great/reliable drivetrain with lots of power.
Major downfall is Windows all the way around.

tint them, wrap the van, signage on the windows or when you shelve/load inside you'll block the views.

Ford Transit 2500/3500 cargo - new - $37,000.
Pros lots of space can stand up.
Cons cost, will cost another $8000 to unfit with crew seating.

Just a matter of economics - can you pay for it, do you want to pay for it, can yoiu make the numbers work.

Cargo Trailer (customized 6x12) - new - $6500. (Towed by my crew cad Dodge Dakota)
Pros - lots of space, cheaper option
Cons - worried about theft and parking. (Ausumn are there any venues that are a bitch to park a trailer?)

Fancy smancy trailer? I got a 6x12 4 years ago for $2800, 'customization' cost 500 more (interior paint, etrack, exterior decals, etc) I wish at times, it had brakes, only single axle, mine is in my colors (black and gold). Has lights, vents. I made transitions. Saw no point to flooring other than the plywood it came with. I got leveling legs so I can unhitch and use it without fear of it teeter-tottering.
Even with dual torsion that seems pricy IMO.

You can get hitch locks, wheel locks, alarms to stop/reduce theft.

My concern is parking - city venues in particular (some make you use a garage - so the ford transit high roof would have the same issues), backing up a trailer at night is a night-mare (no pun intended).

If I get the trailer, hers is what I am getting...
White 6ft x 12 ft trailer
Tandem Axels
Torsion Suspension
Brakes
Wall E Track
Dome light or LED interior lighting
120V Power Outlet
Rear ramp with top and bottom transitions
Insulated
Rubber, or some kind of lining on the floor.
Spare Tire with spare tire carrier.
Dolly Wheel

I'm in the same boat..my subaru holds most of what I need for dj OR photobooth..not both. For that I take my trailer or pay my ass't for use of her minivan.

I've considered adding brakes so my subaru can pull the trailer, getting a small trailer, building a trailer (to my design), getting a used van...I like MPG and don't want the costs of a second vehicle (state inspections, maintenence, insurance, etc). My trailer costs me $12/year for the plate..my truck about $70 plus $75/oil change, $75 annual inspection, $600+ insurance...

A guy down the street (and fedex has them as does uhaul) a single rear wheel van front box truck. He sold his for $3700...cheaper than most any trailer...so I'm still thinking that direction.

But I don't have a crew to bring - can't you have them bring themselves to the venue?

My 'event' vehicle is a Tundra CrewMax with a 5' bed. I can carry 5 people comfortably and tow 10,000 lbs. You can get a double cab with a long bed (8') if needed and the double cab will also carry 5 people comfortably. I also have a trailer. For events where I can't bring a trailer, I fit what I can in the truck. For most others, I bring the trailer.

The decisions as I saw them when I had to make it:

Purchase another vehicle:
Constantly load and unload
Could be expensive vs a trailer
Possible additional fuel costs
Additional insurance costs
Maintenance costs
Another vehicle to Inspect / Smog
Storage location
If it breaks down, how do I get equipment to show / store equipment during breakdown

Purchase trailer:

There's only a pair of wheels back there - no motor / not alot of maintenance
Leave loaded
Everything stored in one location safely
Can hook to any vehicle that can tow
Storage could be a little easier
If it breaks down, there's not alot that can break
In the event of a breakdown while en route, can move most stuff to tow vehicle while trailer is moved to be repaired. If tow vehicle breaks down, simply hook to another tow vehicle.
No inspection / smog
Not alot of additional insurance
Depending on size of trailer and tow vehicle, no additional fuel costs

I know other companies that use vans (E150, 250, 350) to haul a bunch of stuff - and sometimes multiple vans. They also require most of the staff drives themselves to the locations. I've also seen vans and trailers.

One of our ODJT peeps rolls her own Semi and trailer - I'm pretty sure that'll solve most of your issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ TJ
Towed a LOT - boats, watercraft, car carrier (with no brakes...), pop up trailers, 30' camper trailers, cargo trailers..never had an issue.

Last week on the way to football pics did an emergency stop with 5 people in the truck and 12' cargo trailer ('13 silverado) and no issues. Did one in the dark in the rain on a turn with my expedition (230k miles on it then) and again, no issues.

And no brakes on the trailer so it can do it's own thing if it wanted.

All depends on how you load them, tounge weight, etc. Too many people are clueless about proper trailer loading and attachment - the trailer should be LEVEL..not tilting toward the tow vehicle or god forbid, tilting to it's rear!

Tow vehicle need to have good tires and brakes - adding thousands of pounds back there will make marginal things show up really quickly!

I've had a trailer fish-tail on me before. Once that happens, you'll be spooked also and that's besides the fact of PITA parking, unloading, etc. With a cargo van, the gear stays loaded. When it's time to leave I just get in the van and drive. So far, I'm extremely impressed with the reliability on this Chevy. Fingers crossed that it continues.

I'm in the same boat..my subaru holds most of what I need for dj OR photobooth..not both. For that I take my trailer or pay my ass't for use of her minivan.

I've considered adding brakes so my subaru can pull the trailer, getting a small trailer, building a trailer (to my design), getting a used van...I like MPG and don't want the costs of a second vehicle (state inspections, maintenence, insurance, etc). My trailer costs me $12/year for the plate..my truck about $70 plus $75/oil change, $75 annual inspection, $600+ insurance...

A guy down the street (and fedex has them as does uhaul) a single rear wheel van front box truck. He sold his for $3700...cheaper than most any trailer...so I'm still thinking that direction.

But I don't have a crew to bring - can't you have them bring themselves to the venue?
you could buy a 4x6 trailer for less than $2000 that you could easily pull behind you Subaru

Depends what I want IN the trailer...now and in the future.

I have, use, at times, an 18" sub, two 12" tops, 2 12" subs, 2 tops for that. 4 passive speakers and 2 amps in cases, 3 cases of gear (mixers, wires, lights), plus 4 speaker stands, light stand, lights.
Photobooth has 2 cases, computer in a 15" sized top case, pipe bag and drape bag.

I really don't want to crawl into a trailer..so I want 6' height..few little trailers are so built but can be had/ordered.

My idea would be a wide (over the wheels) box with side opening doors, like a truck utility box only bigger. A center aisle in the trailer to hold stands, dolly, accessible from a rear door. Much like a food trailer you see at fairs.

the subaru can pull up to 1,000lbs trailer with no brakes, needs brakes above that weight. Plus the controller/wiring for the car of course.

5x8 trailers are fairly common, can stand in them for the most part.

I've looked..and looked..and still mulling it over. Saw a new transit connect long WB van and that was very appealing...if I traded in my subaru for it..but then i'd not keep it loaded all the time so it defeats some of the purpose of a dedicated vehicle/trailer.

Depends what I want IN the trailer...now and in the future.

I have, use, at times, an 18" sub, two 12" tops, 2 12" subs, 2 tops for that. 4 passive speakers and 2 amps in cases, 3 cases of gear (mixers, wires, lights), plus 4 speaker stands, light stand, lights.
Photobooth has 2 cases, computer in a 15" sized top case, pipe bag and drape bag.

I really don't want to crawl into a trailer..so I want 6' height..few little trailers are so built but can be had/ordered.

My idea would be a wide (over the wheels) box with side opening doors, like a truck utility box only bigger. A center aisle in the trailer to hold stands, dolly, accessible from a rear door. Much like a food trailer you see at fairs.

the subaru can pull up to 1,000lbs trailer with no brakes, needs brakes above that weight. Plus the controller/wiring for the car of course.

5x8 trailers are fairly common, can stand in them for the most part.

I've looked..and looked..and still mulling it over. Saw a new transit connect long WB van and that was very appealing...if I traded in my subaru for it..but then i'd not keep it loaded all the time so it defeats some of the purpose of a dedicated vehicle/trailer.
Very true points, is the Subaru your only vehicle
I have a 5X8 with ramp door extend height 7 foot tall inside, I have 4 18 inch subs 4 10 inch tops, two 12 inch tops, two 4foot by 2.5 foot by 3 foot rolling cases with all cabling and lighting, and two rack cases "identical duplicates for my gear", it fits snugly and securely I buli some custom shelving to take advantage of the height, and use the v nose portion for speaker and lighting stands, custom built by featherlight trailers to my spec aluminum frame, outer skin, white high impact paneling on the inside with bedliner material on the floor, LED perimeter lighting, and all LED outside lighting also including backup and external work lighting for those late night dark load outs

Last edited:
Reactions: IceBurghDJ
Sounds nice.
I 'fear' that i'll end up stuffing everything i the trailer and what I want will be in the back on the bottom, so I'll be unloading 1/2 or more to get that one item.

I'd love a classic 60's van all modernized mechaincally and wrapped - a rolling advert. If i had 35k to spend I'd have it! Combine a love of classic cars with music.
A local DJ that does car cruises did such a thing with an old step van, I think it may have been a mail truck..the sides open up and he DJ's from inside.

A custom trailer is I think the best plan - I like the idea of outside access - swing up a side and and there's everything you need. Open the back and roll out the subs. I have an old boat trailer I've considered modifiyting..getting the sheet metal or such covering (not necessary but nice) and then the cost of all the hardware for door frames, etc.

I've seen some folks convert old 'scotty' trailers for a number of uses. They were built just outside Pgh so are fairly common here.

serro-scotty-pup-exterior.jpg