Transportation Van/Trailer

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
yes i agree ,,,,, some budget policies probably dont include trailers.
and most won't include trailers used for business, so if your running a legitimate business you should have different coverage, technically they don't have to cover your vehicle in that event either

Reactions: ittigger
I saw the price that you think at @ 6,000 $ and i believe that to be off by a little?

@DJKLEEN I have 6 quotes from 4 different dealers for Wells Cargo,Haulmarks, and Carmate. The quotes came in between $6400-$10,000 because of the options I asked for. I wouldn't do carpet because of loading in the rain. The moisture would just sit there and mold and rot the trailer and gear.

and most won't include trailers used for business, so if your running a legitimate business you should have different coverage, technically they don't have to cover your vehicle in that event either

This may apply to your vehicle / tow vehicle as well. If you're using your vehicle for business, your insurance may not cover what you think they cover.

@DJKLEEN I have 6 quotes from 4 different dealers for Wells Cargo,Haulmarks, and Carmate. The quotes came in between $6400-$10,000 because of the options I asked for. I wouldn't do carpet because of loading in the rain. The moisture would just sit there and mold and rot the trailer and gear.

I have always liked the Haulmark trailers.

Getting coverage ON the trailer has been a royal bitch.
contents are covered under biz insurance, vehicle by vehicle insurance.
For non-commerical use the liability will extend from the tow vehicle to the trailer...but for commercial it's impossible to get a definitive answer.

So with erie i've got my truck insured commercial since it pulls the trailer, my car personal. I had liberty mutual and they said under personal the trailer is covered for liabiliyt for commercial use..but the second year with them the rate went up 30%..so back to erie I went.

This may apply to your vehicle / tow vehicle as well. If you're using your vehicle for business, your insurance may not cover what you think they cover.

still seems high..DJ gear isn't heavy..do you need 2 axles? torsion axles? I've had no issues with my cargo south trailer - 2990 gvw single axle, no brakes ($500 option so cheap). No bouncing, i carry many things in there and don't find anything tossed about or broken (includeing light bulbs). Load the more delicates in the front for a better ride.

I have a counter and drawers in the front and most things sit on the counter for long rides through the country. etrack was from harbor freight and grainger ($300ish).

I can't see you spending over 4500.

base trailer..$2499. Enclosed Trailer 6'x12' White - V-Nose 3,500 lb. Axle - SLE Equipment

dual 3500lb axles, 16' long, choice of 6 colors..$3200.
7' Wide : 7x16 IN STOCK NOW, Choose Your Color, Click this ad to see the free colors. Only $3,150. | USA Cargo Trailer Sales

You should check into Featherlight Trailers if you have the budget for one, all aluminum, great warranty, however they are expensive

i did find an old thread but I wanted to reopen a discussion on vans and trailers.
I have outgrown my Chrystler T&C. So I started looking at trailers, Box trucks, extended Ford E350 and the tall and extended Ford Transit 3500.
My biggest dilemma is fitting all of the gear, and up to 5 man crew with photobooth.
Here were my considerations...

Used E350 15,000 miles $26,000 - it is a passenger van, but I can remove the last three rows of seats for cargo and still seat 5.
Positives, enough space, great/reliable drivetrain with lots of power.
Major downfall is Windows all the way around.

Ford Transit 2500/3500 cargo - new - $37,000.
Pros lots of space can stand up.
Cons cost, will cost another $8000 to unfit with crew seating.

Cargo Trailer (customized 6x12) - new - $6500. (Towed by my crew cad Dodge Dakota)
Pros - lots of space, cheaper option
Cons - worried about theft and parking. (Ausumn are there any venues that are a bitch to park a trailer?)

If I get the trailer, hers is what I am getting...
White 6ft x 12 ft trailer
Tandem Axels
Torsion Suspension
Brakes
Wall E Track
Dome light or LED interior lighting
120V Power Outlet
Rear ramp with top and bottom transitions
Insulated
Rubber, or some kind of lining on the floor.
Spare Tire with spare tire carrier.
Dolly Wheel
Hi DJStevieRay!!!:nod:

I'm not really here, but I HAD to reply to my FAVORITE forum DJ.:nod:

I have a Chrysler Town & Country as well, and though it does the job, it is packed full! I love the Stow-N-Go seats, which allow me to turn it back into a passenger van if needed, but not having a barrier between the driver and the cargo area is a little risky. One quick stop, and all that gear could squash me like a bug!:laugh:

What I really want is one of these...
s-l400.jpg
Unlike you, I don't need anymore than one additional seat, but if you got one of these, you could have your helpers follow along in a a car or just meet you at the venue.

Not likely I'm going to get one anytime soon, so I'm focused more on downsizing my systems in order to take up less space and to be lighter for me to load and unload. It makes more sense for me to do that than to get a bigger vehicle. Still... I REALLY want one.:laugh:

Nice to see you again... bye!

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
Hey Bobcat. Good to see you back. I don't come around as much as I should either.

@IceBurghDJ i would like to leave it loaded and with 44 battery powered uplights, 8 moving heads, 4 Evox 8s, 2 consoles, 2 TVs plus cables, stands, truss, photobooth, pipe & drape. I am estimating around 2500 lbs. everything road cased and the road cases aren't light. When the trailer weighs 1600+2500 well exceeds a single axle.

I could buy a 7x14 cheaper and do much of the customization myself to save a grand or two. But I want a 6x12 because of parking, and for $2k I would rather pay a professional to install the electrical, e track and such.

It's like hiring your uncle to DJ a wedding. You can do it cheaper, but the question is should you?

Hey Bobcat. Good to see you back. I don't come around as much as I should either.

@IceBurghDJ i would like to leave it loaded and with 44 battery powered uplights, 8 moving heads, 4 Evox 8s, 2 consoles, 2 TVs plus cables, stands, truss, photobooth, pipe & drape. I am estimating around 2500 lbs. everything road cased and the road cases aren't light. When the trailer weighs 1600+2500 well exceeds a single axle.

I could buy a 7x14 cheaper and do much of the customization myself to save a grand or two. But I want a 6x12 because of parking, and for $2k I would rather pay a professional to install the electrical, e track and such.

It's like hiring your uncle to DJ a wedding. You can do it cheaper, but the question is should you?
I would worry about charging your uplights in a confined space, do they get warm when charging, does it warn against it in the owners manual

1,600+ lbs...Good Lord. I could add up everything I have in inventory and I'm pretty sure I'm well under 1,000 lbs. Average Gig I probably bring around 300 - 450 lbs worth of equipment

When the trailer weighs 1600+2500 well exceeds a single axle.

I wouldn't think an empty trailer weighs this.

Edit: Mine empty weighs in at 1155 lbs and has a payload of 1835 lbs (GVW 2990 lbs). From what I'm seeing, the 14' or larger weigh in at 1900+.

Last edited:
@tunes4046 i charge them in the charging road case they sell with them.

@ittigger Still 2500lbs of gear and 1000 lb trailer would push a single axle.

Ricky 8 battery uplights in road case is 120lbs x5 1/2 cases. My SZ console 150lbs. 2 moving heads in road case 110lbs x 4 cases. Photobooth in case 150 lbs. not to mention speakers, cable trunks, Pipe and drape bases, drape carts, truss base plates. Adds up quick.