Transportation Van/Trailer

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I generally agree. You might want to load it up and weigh it - no sense paying for something you don't need. Measure twice, cut once.
Man, I wish it was that easy, I measure once, cut 30 times

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
The problem is, Stevie...that you are in search of opinions.
Not everyone's needs and likes and expectations are the same.
For example, Rick is 100% correct in what he says about vans.
But in my case, I couldn't work with another vehicle in the household. (for assorted reasons)
so I opted for a trailer. I love it, and it works FOR ME.
I think you know the pro's and the con's of each choice.
And you obviously know you have to stick to your budget.
The answer will come to you...with or without our advice!

Reactions: ittigger
A custom trailer is I think the best plan - I like the idea of outside access - swing up a side and and there's everything you need. Open the back and roll out the subs. I have an old boat trailer I've considered modifiyting..getting the sheet metal or such covering (not necessary but nice) and then the cost of all the hardware for door frames, etc.

I'm sure you know buying a used trailer
would be just as affordable,
would require less effort and talent,
and certainly be quicker to get on the road.

Reactions: ittigger
Hey guys. Dj kleen just opened up his dj trailer business! I am selling a dual axle 6x12 with all accessories for let see.........5,000 bucks. Delivered! With a five year warranty. It looks just like the one in the picture!

I'm sure you know buying a used trailer
would be just as affordable,
would require less effort and talent,
and certainly be quicker to get on the road.
I have been looking at used,,,, the bad thing is that most have been rode hard and put up wet!!!!if you know what I mean. In need for bearing and tires. The good ones were almost as much as a new one! They sell quick

The good news is that a trailer if well taken care of. Can be sold almost as much as a new one! I sold my wells cargo for only 3 00 bucks less than I paid for it, even after 7 years of use! I sold it on the first day ! Sold it to a construction crew....not hey want tandem axles!

Also you have a good idea about a tandem axle,,,, better resale! Like trucks with v-6's,,,,, you may not want a v-8 but you can sell a v-8 easier,,,, so you have to look at a trailer in this way!!!!!! Resale value is high on trailers!

How come those quotes start with a trailer that is $2,000 or so more than any I've linked to?

Your second one wants $5150 for the base trailer and $495 more for a ramp door...really? EVERYTHING i linked to includes the door..duh!
$2625 for 7000# dual axle with drop ramp..$3000 less that your second quote. THREE GRAND LESS.
6' Wide : NO WAIT TIME. IN STOCK NOW. $2,625 Best Bang For The Buck. USA Cargo Trailers, A Name You Can Trust. | USA Cargo Trailer Sales

Maybe you shouldn't drive up in your mercedes in that fancy suit with $100 bills stuck in the brim of your hat when you go shopping!

@IceBurghDJ im not making it up. I am attaching some of the quotes.

View attachment 30656
View attachment 30657

How come those quotes start with a trailer that is $2,000 or so more than any I've linked to?

Your second one wants $5150 for the base trailer and $495 more for a ramp door...really? EVERYTHING i linked to includes the door..duh!
$2625 for 7000# dual axle with drop ramp..$3000 less that your second quote. THREE GRAND LESS.
6' Wide : NO WAIT TIME. IN STOCK NOW. $2,625 Best Bang For The Buck. USA Cargo Trailers, A Name You Can Trust. | USA Cargo Trailer Sales

Maybe you shouldn't drive up in your mercedes in that fancy suit with $100 bills stuck in the brim of your hat when you go shopping!

Well first off, you're comparing USA Cargo to Cross Trailers. Different Mfr - which may or may not mean anything. Second, he has outfitted it with several options. In you're defense, there are several Cross Trailer tandems priced well below 5k.

I just took his base trailer and added the door and compared it to a base usa cargo trailer.

You / he can add the other options as needed.

Is there a difference between this and that brand? I doubt it. Sure, there are bound to be a mercedes vs all the ford/chevy out there, but there is in reatly, VERY VERY little difference.

A tire is a tire - they all use cheap ones. 15" is better than 14" if you have a choice (more tire options). There are 2 axle makers in the US as far as I'm aware. Nobody makes their own (or tires either of course). The hardware for hinges, etc is the same - they buy it. there is very little difference.

Maybe one uses a heftier frame (most i saw have options for that). No point in an alum frame.

My trailer has heavy plywood floor, plywood (not luan) walls, no-screw/no rivet exterior, 2 tone color, diamondplace, interior light, roof vent - usually extra cost options but it depends on brand. As apparently the one he found charges for a door that ALL others include.

Do you need a flip up or wheeled front rest? Depends..if you park on flat and plan to manaully move the trailer on pavement maybe a wheel is handy..I doubt anyone of us is pushing 4,000+ pounds of trailer anywhere. Mine does not flip up, nor does it on my 30' camper - it's not gonna hit anything so dont spend money fixing a problem that is non existent.

A spare I guess is nice - don't have one nor one on my camper...haven't changed a flat on a car in 20 years. And trailers dont' come with jacks..so make sur eyo uhave someway to jack the trailer to change that flat tire!

a no slip floor could be handy..mine is the bare plywood and isn't slippery, looks clean like wood should..5 years old. I painted the walls white to make it lighter/brighter inside. Thought about staining the floor..but haven't had an issue. paint would be slippery. and yes my door has been open in the rain, stuff in and out of it, etc.

Cargo South seems to be out of business...I guess they built too good a trailer for the price they asked. But then I got mine at a county fair, so maybe a special deal or something.

No pricing, but wells cargo is a good brand - Tote Wagon (6' Wide) - | Wells Cargo - Wells Cargo Corporation

or haulmark...seems the common type he's looking for starts around $4177...
2016 Haulmark Transport, Mcadoo PA - 112166977 - CommercialTruckTrader.com

this one has many add ons..still under $5200...
2016 Haulmark Transport, Ogden UT - 112167827 - CommercialTruckTrader.com

The only option I would ad would be an external spare tire mount, if you have it in the trailer, it's either always in the way, or you store it in the front if you ever need it you have unload a bunch of stuff on the side of the road to get to it, I also added a locking plastic box to the tongue of mine to keep a jack 4 way tire iron and some miscellaneous tools