Transportation Van/Trailer

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
OK. I am now banging my head off the wall. Looked at the Promasters with Box truck and standard Cargo with 3 seats. I absolutely love how they are loaded, for around $37,000 with tax tags, etc. Looked a Crew cab extra long Mercedes Sprinter 4x4s Seats 5 with nice cargo area $62,000. My wife brought me back to earth, and now looking at a used 14' U haul E450 box truck seats 3, still will need 2nd vehicle on occasion. But I am looking at $10,000 for 90,000 miles. I am scared to purchase a U-Haul because of the beatings they take, but the price is right, and fits my needs. WWYD?

If you can fit everything in a trailer, I would do a trailer. If you're looking at a second hand vehicle, go over it really well and see if you can get the history (service and other) on it.

Reactions: DJKLEEN
trailers seem bigger, unless you get a BIG box truck. And you can stand in them - almost all of them. To do that in a van you need a sprinter or other tall one, or a box truck.

A box truck is gonna be what, 3' off the ground at the back? So you're unlikely to have a ramp (the uhaul probably does..one benefit to it) so EVERTYHING has to be lifed in/out and put on a dolly.

A trailer you can keep your main system ON the dolly (flatbed type), Wheel it up the ramp, strap er down and you're done. Lots less work on the back.

I got this 'idea', epiphany? tonight at the wedding. The caterer had a 12' cargo trailer with ramp pulled by a sprinter, plus a for transit connect for some things and the extra staff (5 or 6 I think..they didn't pose for a picture so not sure on the count).

They had big gass grills - rolled them right into the trailer. They took a lot of sutff out of the van and put it on dollyes and some had wheels, but had to still be lifted from the van. Took more staff..more time..more labor.

Overall height of traielr and truck were the same - no neither would go in an urban parking garage.

this isn't going to have the interior volume of a 6x12 or 7x12 trailer, and while it has a liftgate they're slow IME. And you can't sit anyone in the back.

ox-lift-gate-9600-gvw-low-miles-85k-231844748805-1.jpg

What about a step van? Many sizes, this is abig one - but you could put a bench seat in it..and still have room for cargo.

gmc-step-van-04.jpg

I see prices from $9k to $47k, trucks with 30k miles on them, etc.
it says error..but the link works.

ERROR

As far as the used Uhaul Ford Truck for $10,000...That is risky. I say that because higher mileage Fords are prone to having issues all the time. Reliability is paramount. Do you want to risk taking that thing on a 60+ minute trip to the gig and have it break down on you?

Then again, I also have to say that I think dropping $37,000 to $60,000 on a vehicle for equipment transport in our line of business is not a savvy business move either. How do you recoup that?

Most DJs use vehicles that they also drive as a daily...or they have a secondary vehicle.

I will also add that Driving around in a Ford UHAUL will not be pleasant. Those trucks are not comfortable.

I enjoy driving home after a long gig in my Traverse.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
As far as the used Uhaul Ford Truck for $10,000...That is risky. I say that because higher mileage Fords are prone to having issues all the time. Reliability is paramount. Do you want to risk taking that thing on a 60+ minute trip to the gig and have it break down on you?

Then again, I also have to say that I think dropping $37,000 to $60,000 on a vehicle for equipment transport in our line of business is not a savvy business move either. How do you recoup that?

Most DJs use vehicles that they also drive as a daily...or they have a secondary vehicle.

I will also add that Driving around in a Ford UHAUL will not be pleasant. Those trucks are not comfortable.

I enjoy driving home after a long gig in my Traverse.
a n e-450 is a way diffenrt vehicle that a 1/2 ton van, high mileage ford having issues, I beg to differ, I have driven Ford Expeditions almost exclusively since 1997, I have a new 2017 on order as soon as they star production, my 2011 have 237,000 miles on it and ran as well as it did when new, I only have Ford vehicles in my house, other than the chevy spark we got for my daughter,
If something doesn't last well its generally more of a maintenance issue.

The nice thing when you get to the 450 class trucks and vans is that the everything form the suspension to the brakes are designed significantly sturdier than even a 1 ton rated truck , even you can move to a 550 it another huge step in parts longevity.

a n e-450 is a way diffenrt vehicle that a 1/2 ton van, high mileage ford having issues, I beg to differ, I have driven Ford Expeditions almost exclusively since 1997, I have a new 2017 on order as soon as they star production, my 2011 have 237,000 miles on it and ran as well as it did when new, I only have Ford vehicles in my house, other than the chevy spark we got for my daughter,
If something doesn't last well its generally more of a maintenance issue.

The nice thing when you get to the 450 class trucks and vans is that the everything form the suspension to the brakes are designed significantly sturdier than even a 1 ton rated truck , even you can move to a 550 it another huge step in parts longevity.

I guess it depends on experiences. My brother has a 2002 Ford Explorer that he has given up on, and is going to sell it. Granted it is a 14 year old vehicle now, but it has turned into a total money pit for the last 4 years. It has 189,000 miles on it. It has received a new trans. Everything has gone on it. The alternator was replaced 18 months ago, and that alternator just went again on it...he isn't putting any more money into it.

My sister has a 2002 Ford Explorer...She has faired better with hers. She just hit 200K on the odometer, and fortunate only maintenance stuff. I thik she had one major repair on the car so far. My brother also owned a Ford Focus 2012. The deck board in the rear window started falling apart after just 12 months owning the car. He had some sort of starter issue with it too.

I have heard from Mechanics that generally speaking the newer Ford CARS 2009 and newer are pretty reliable for the most part. I hear they are better than Chevrolet cars from a mechanic's perspective.

Ford Trucks seem to be pretty good new, but I notice that they turn into money pits when they are higher mileage (Most vehicles do though).

I'm just not sure I would trust a used Uhaul Ford Truck to be very reliable for long distance gigs. I know it wouldn't be comfortable.

I guess it depends on experiences. My brother has a 2002 Ford Explorer that he has given up on, and is going to sell it. Granted it is a 14 year old vehicle now, but it has turned into a total money pit for the last 4 years. It has 189,000 miles on it. It has received a new trans. Everything has gone on it. The alternator was replaced 18 months ago, and that alternator just went again on it...he isn't putting any more money into it.

My sister has a 2002 Ford Explorer...She has faired better with hers. She just hit 200K on the odometer, and fortunate only maintenance stuff. I thik she had one major repair on the car so far. My brother also owned a Ford Focus 2012. The deck board in the rear window started falling apart after just 12 months owning the car. He had some sort of starter issue with it too.

I have heard from Mechanics that generally speaking the newer Ford CARS 2009 and newer are pretty reliable for the most part. I hear they are better than Chevrolet cars from a mechanic's perspective.

Ford Trucks seem to be pretty good new, but I notice that they turn into money pits when they are higher mileage (Most vehicles do though).

I'm just not sure I would trust a used Uhaul Ford Truck to be very reliable for long distance gigs. I know it wouldn't be comfortable.
Most "American" cars built in the early 2000's were good for about 175,000 miles before they started to expensive to own it's very typical to have to spend a significant amount of money on them in that time frame

For hauling / towing, the 450 is better than a 1 ton and is certainly built beefier. All of it really depends on how it was used / abused, the maintenance history, accidents, etc. None of us here can tell you that. 2-3k per year is not alot.

I also suggest you move vehicles at least once a month to get all the oils and lubrication moving. This also gets any moisture (water) out of the system.

Last edited:
I would save money, go with the reliable full size window van and remove the seats you don't need as you say.
Lots of problems with the engine and drivetrain in both the gas and diesel versions of the first gen Dodge Promasters and the 3.7 Eco boost in the new Ford full size Transit has also so far proved to be very unreliable.
Not sure how the new gen of sprinters are doing yet but the technology is still not tried and true.
Another big issue at least with the Promasters and same as the Sprinters is that not every dealership is qualified to service them, not sure about the new Transit but imo reliability still trumps all new technology whether it's your gear or your vehicle and in reality, your vehicle is part of your gear.

You can put a cargo/gear bulkhead behind the seats and paint the inside of the back windows you don't need the same colour as the van and that way when viewed from the outside it will not make it as obvious that it's a window van.

cargo van bulkhead - Google Search

You can also put in iron bars/ steel screen over the inside of the windows you don't need.
Get the trailer you think will fill your needs and you will be good to go.

I would go with the ramp on the trailer though instead of doors in this configuration as the stuff you can lift can go in the back of the van and for the heavier gear or the equipment on casters, it can go in the trailer.

Last edited:
Not sure how much cargo space that will leave you in the full size window van but I know in your original post you mentioned that you had just outgrown the mini van, but maybe this full size van will give you enough extra equipment space that maybe it would still suffice for a number of gigs to save even more for now and only rent a trailer as needed?

Love my 5x12' trailer. It fits in my garage and I can leave it loaded between gigs. I had to go new to order one without a roof vent to fit in my garage. It's a Middlebury MTI trailer. Here it is in my garage.

1BB36404-3F9C-4C77-B914-CD00EA38CBFB.jpg

Extras:
Threshold plate
2 rows of E-Track
Rear floodlight

1C80D2DE-6A31-4778-87E7-AD2E81DFF826.jpg

This is everhthing I load in. I do sound for bands along with DJ'ing.

2 LS800p's
2 Unity 15's
4 YX12's
1 YX15
1 NX750P
3 IPR1600's
1 IPR3000
Presonus RM32AI
Presonus CS18AI

4 small cable trunks
Mic stand bag with 4 tall and 4 short mic stands
Mic box with 12 mics
Couple misc pelican case suitcases
Drum mic suitcase

Lights:
11 Blizzard 3NX, 9 Blizzard Fab5 in a case
4 Martin Minimac Profiles in a case
4 Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos in case
2 10' sections of 2" aluminum truss
2 ST-132 truss stands

Basically all this minus drums & personal instruments

F416E52F-A8F7-455C-B22A-C213E3EE2724.jpg

3400lbs total weight.

The only thing I would have done different was getting a dual axle.

Last edited:

2 LS800p's
2 Unity 15's
4 YX12's
1 YX15
1 NX750P
3 IPR1600's
1 IPR3000
Presonus RM32AI
Presonus CS18AI

I do miss my Unity system .. though I ran it with Unity subs. The Presonus CS18 would have been nice .. I had a 16.4.2, but always had an issue with the non-motorized faders and making changes with my iPad .. always took time to think how to sync.

Reactions: ittigger
I do miss my Unity system .. though I ran it with Unity subs. The Presonus CS18 would have been nice .. I had a 16.4.2, but always had an issue with the non-motorized faders and making changes with my iPad .. always took time to think how to sync.

Yeah the locate feature was a little clunky. The CS18AI is pretty slick though.

My band, multitrack recorded during a gig.
View: http://youtu.be/Zt0i6Y_9slo

Love my 5x12' trailer. It fits in my garage and I can leave it loaded between gigs. I had to go new to order one without a roof vent to fit in my garage. It's a Middlebury MTI trailer. Here it is in my garage.

1BB36404-3F9C-4C77-B914-CD00EA38CBFB.jpg

Extras:
Threshold plate
2 rows of E-Track
Rear floodlight

1C80D2DE-6A31-4778-87E7-AD2E81DFF826.jpg

2 LS800p's
2 Unity 15's
4 YX12's
1 YX15
1 NX750P
3 IPR1600's
1 IPR3000
Presonus RM32AI
Presonus CS18AI

4 small cable trunks
Mic stand bag with 4 tall and 4 short mic stands
Mic box with 12 mics
Couple misc pelican case suitcases
Drum mic suitcase

Lights:
11 Blizzard 3NX, 9 Blizzard Fab5 in a case
4 Martin Minimac Profiles in a case
4 Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos in case
2 10' sections of 2" aluminum truss
2 ST-132 truss stands

Basically all this minus drums & personal instruments

F416E52F-A8F7-455C-B22A-C213E3EE2724.jpg

3400lbs total weight.

The only thing I would have done different was getting a dual axle.
How much does something like this sell for new/used?

I'm in Canada. The trailer was made in the USA then shipped here. I paid $5,500 for it. I see full heigh -12' trailers fit around $2,500 - $3,500 used. I thought instead of getting one of those and modifying it, might as well get exactly what I want.