Trussing.....

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rlelek

New DJ
Oct 8, 2006
San Francisco, CA
www.ryanlelek.com
One of my DJ friends is looking at Trussing and Moving heads. The real question here is not what SETUP he should get, but rather which COLOR. I told him that BLACK fixtures wouldn't look that great on SILVER global trussing. I was only telling him this so he wouldn't make a mistake on a BIG purchase. I just thought he should know what a client's view might be as they don't know they only make SILVER trussing. All they know is It sticks out lk a sore thumb. I am NOT saying I'm right or wrong but i am saying that a few cans of spray paint may do a lot of good.

Any opinions????

ALL are welcomed and will be sent to my "friend".

rlelek

One of my DJ friends is looking at Trussing and Moving heads. The real question here is not what SETUP he should get, but rather which COLOR. I told him that BLACK fixtures wouldn't look that great on SILVER global trussing. I was only telling him this so he wouldn't make a mistake on a BIG purchase. I just thought he should know what a client's view might be as they don't know they only make SILVER trussing. All they know is It sticks out lk a sore thumb. I am NOT saying I'm right or wrong but i am saying that a few cans of spray paint may do a lot of good.

Any opinions????

ALL are welcomed and will be sent to my "friend".

rlelek

I think your crazy.... Silver trussing is the norm, and the standard. If you tell a client you are using trussing, I beleive they will expect silver. Besides, how bad would painted trusses look? The paint will scrape right off i'd imagine.

My 2 cents

Loudspeaker,,,,Look around at all the flat trussing that we DJ's use that is black,,,

Triangle or square trussing is usually silver, but not always. I would bet that black is more expensive, if available so I think most guys buy silver, then they buy DJ Skirts to cover it up.

Just spray painting it might not work because everytime you bump it, it will chip.. as stated. But I worked in a club once that spray painted their trussing pink... it looked great...

I think it is called powder coating. You can have that done in any color,,, but if you are going to buy it, see if they have black.

well there obviously is a special way to paint it. Like the new spray paint out for plastic. Granted it may not be spray paint but i bet there is something out there that would get the job done......

rlelek

The actual point of this thread is to point out that Clients don't research trussing like we do. They just hire us and know everything will be taken care of. They have enough to worry about. But, if they see silver trussing (standard or not) with black fixtures, perhaps they may feel it's ugly??? everyone has their opinions. I'm just saying YOU are the show and everything should blend in around you. nothing should distract guests eyes. If your setup is all black and you have silver trussing then they may feel something is wrong.

just my opinion....

rlelek

With silver trussing, you can point a colored par can at it to give you a great effect. It's called a truss warmer (Kebo does this at many of his shows). You can't do that with a black truss.

Wait a minute...

When it's dark in the room, and you have light coming from the truss, who can see what color it is? And if they can, who cares?

well there obviously is a special way to paint it. Like the new spray paint out for plastic. Granted it may not be spray paint but i bet there is something out there that would get the job done......

rlelek

I went to a Local Rhino Linings Shop and they Coated mine for $65 plus I add theie Logo to the Truss (Small 3" x 5" Logo) On back side. Stuff is great!!!

Powder coating is the process used in coloring (painting Aluminum) and it doesn't come in a spray can.

Now as others have said light hitting polished aluminum is an effect of its own. Aim a simple par can from each end of the truss (mounted in the center) pointing down the center of the truss it looks great.

Powder coating is the process used in coloring (painting Aluminum) and it doesn't come in a spray can.

Now as others have said light hitting polished aluminum is an effect of its own. Aim a simple par can from each end of the truss (mounted in the center) pointing down the center of the truss it looks great.

I've seen this in vertical installations, but never horrizontal. How does it look? Any pics of it?

Sounds like a great idea.

The ones I have seen done that way look great. I don't personally own any trussing I use trees (easier for one person to setup)

Here is a pic of my trussing from a few weeks back,,, I took 2 par 64's with pinkish gels, ,,one on each eand point inside.

The truss is 14" triangle silver trussing....

Attachments

• 10 28 Gig Nite Lights.jpg
    10 28 Gig Nite Lights.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 8
Could be

Powder coatings are becoming very popular due to their toughness. A dry (usually epoxy) powder is electrostaticly attracted to the parts to be coated. The parts are then passed through an oven. Side benefits are very little waste as the materials that don't stick to the part are recycled and shot at the parts again, nor are there any VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) used (no fumes).

Historically the most popular finish for aluminum has been anodizing. This process employs [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]electrolytic oxidation in a chemical bath to protect the surface of the metal. By itself, the process is a clear finish but it can and often is colored.

I make these comments generically not specifically in reference to truss manufacture.
[/FONT]

sorry about that,, it wasn't 64's that I used,,, it was 38's with special 250 watt bulbs.... still looks kinda neeat

edit: never mind, already mentioned. *note to self, Check the second page of the thread next time*

And spray painting your truss just looks lame.

ek, I hadn't thought of the Rhino Lining on truss! You can actually buy a DIY kit from Canadian Tire too. We've used it in the past to repair speakers and such. That stuff is bullet proof...Not a bad idea!