Trying out a new DJ tomorrow night

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I prefer to have the basic details on paper. If he answers that he wants $2,000 for a 4 hour wedding...well, there is no point to even a phone chat with this guy because I don't even book weddings for $2,000. If he lives in Pennsylvania, or somewhere way further than maybe 60 or 70 miles from me...then really there is not going to be much point to bring him aboard as well.

I prefer to know how far he is willing to travel as well.

If he doesn't have a website for his DJ business, how do I even know he is a DJ? Maybe he has a facebook page with pics of some events he has done?

These are really simple questions I'm asking him so I can get an idea of what he is looking for. Again, he is welcome to call if he prefers to. He is the one that emailed me first.
I'm still sensing you've never hired anyone other than family. If indications are he is a decent candidate, and he made the first move to ask if you are interested, why must he be the first again to ask to talk to you?

I prefer to have the basic details on paper. If he answers that he wants $2,000 for a 4 hour wedding...well, there is no point to even a phone chat with this guy because I don't even book weddings for $2,000. If he lives in Pennsylvania, or somewhere way further than maybe 60 or 70 miles from me...then really there is not going to be much point to bring him aboard as well.

I prefer to know how far he is willing to travel as well.

If he doesn't have a website for his DJ business, how do I even know he is a DJ? Maybe he has a facebook page with pics of some events he has done?

These are really simple questions I'm asking him so I can get an idea of what he is looking for. Again, he is welcome to call if he prefers to. He is the one that emailed me first.

If your trying to convince me that you have no ambition to hire someone, consider me convinced.
Just seems like you go out of your way to maintain a lot of distance from people.

I'm still sensing you've never hired anyone other than family. If indications are he is a decent candidate, and he made the first move to ask if you are interested, why must he be the first again to ask to talk to you?

I have booked directly 2 DJs who were not family. I have booked another DJ through a talent agency.

I hired a few dancers for events. I have tried to hire roadies in the past. Every time the person was unreliable, or called out the day before the event or was offered another job that they are taking.

I have booked directly 2 DJs who were not family. I have booked another DJ through a talent agency.

I hired a few dancers for events. I have tried to hire roadies in the past. Every time the person was unreliable, or called out the day before the event or was offered another job that they are taking.
Maybe talking to them more upfront would have helped ... :)

Reactions: ittigger
Maybe talking to them more upfront would have helped ... :)

One time I held a Interview fair at McDonalds for 3 hours, and people came to chat with me about the job at hand. I also had my phone available for phone chats with potential people.

I had 12 email me. 6 phone calls, and chatted with 5 people at Mcdees. Offered the job to 3 candidates who came to my little job fair...nothing panned out.

I disagree.

Do employees call potential employers these days and have a phone conversation with them as their application?

The Answer is NO. EVERYBODY has to fill out an application even to be considered for the job at hand before anybody talks with you. That is how things are done these days.

If he can't take 5 minutes to answer a list of NEED TO KNOW QUESTIONS, then why should I trust this guy handling email correspondence with my the clients I sub contract to him? Timliness of correspondence is important to me if I am going to have this guy represent us in any fashion. At this point I know nothing about him.

He has also seen my phone info, and he easily can give me a phone call as well to discuss if he prefers to do that at this point. He is also the one that emailed me. If somebody emails me first...I consider that their preferred method of communication unless they specifically ask for a phone call.

Ricky, you're describing yourself as some kind of Lion Tamer. No one is going to jump through these hoops to please you - it's a huge red flag to your prospects. Trust begins with you.

If someone who wants to work with me can't answer 7 questions for me, then why do I want to bother with them?

Because you need them more than they need you.

This person could more easily become your competitor next week, but instead they have inquired about working with you.
That's opportunity knocking - how about you open the door and invite it in?

Reactions: steve149
One time I held a Interview fair at McDonalds for 3 hours, and people came to chat with me about the job at hand. I also had my phone available for phone chats with potential people.

I had 12 email me. 6 phone calls, and chatted with 5 people at Mcdees. Offered the job to 3 candidates who came to my little job fair...nothing panned out.

I'm not surprised that nothing panned out. I've never been to a McDonald's that had conference rooms, and I'd be hard pressed to take any employer seriously who holds office overlooking the play structure. Perhaps McD's is different in your neck of the woods.

I'm just sayin' - you've got to try harder.
(Listening of course, is always optional.)

...and your avatar is a big question mark.

It's shorthand for WTF?

I'm not surprised that nothing panned out. I've never been to a McDonald's that had conference rooms, and I'd be hard pressed to take any employer seriously who holds office overlooking the play structure. Perhaps McD's is different in your neck of the woods.

I'm just sayin' - you've got to try harder.
(Listening of course, is always optional.)

It's shorthand for WTF?

I've met plenty of clients over the years at Mcdonalds, Starbucks, and Panera. They are easy to find locations, and clientele have always been fine with meeting at those establishments. I've met with many wedding planners at Panera locations as well.

I also offered to purchase a Soda, or Coffee for all of those prospects who met with me regarding the roadie position I was offering at the time. I think I'm pretty inviting when I offer to pay people for their time, and a little work ethic.

Unfortunately, very few people really want to be a Roadie/Assistant, and commit themselves to working on Saturday. It's easier for people to find a job with scheduled hours every week, and just do that.

I disagree.

Do employees call potential employers these days and have a phone conversation with them as their application?

The Answer is NO. EVERYBODY has to fill out an application even to be considered for the job at hand before anybody talks with you. That is how things are done these days.

If he can't take 5 minutes to answer a list of NEED TO KNOW QUESTIONS, then why should I trust this guy handling email correspondence with my the clients I sub contract to him? Timliness of correspondence is important to me if I am going to have this guy represent us in any fashion. At this point I know nothing about him.

He has also seen my phone info, and he easily can give me a phone call as well to discuss if he prefers to do that at this point. He is also the one that emailed me. If somebody emails me first...I consider that their preferred method of communication unless they specifically ask for a phone call.
Ricky this is not just an ordinary job. This is DJ work. That would require me to have a in person interview. I would want to see how this person reacts at the interview and what they look like and how they dress for the interview. Also I would like to know if they have any videos of them at work to show me at the interview. For a regular job if you hire the wrong person you can easily fire them and hopefully it won't hurt your business. If said DJ does a horrible job it can leave a black eye on your company and cause a client to give a bad review telling people not to book your company for anything.

Well, I tried out the new guy. He did okay, not great. No sparkling personality and seemed afraid to turn it up. I believe he's more of a budget DJ, and will take some grooming to understand how to really nail a higher-quality event. My wife was there and told me she'd prefer to keep using the guy who is always late and ticks off venue managers and planners. I prefer to use someone who causes me less drama and headache.

Well, I tried out the new guy. He did okay, not great. No sparkling personality and seemed afraid to turn it up. I believe he's more of a budget DJ, and will take some grooming to understand how to really nail a higher-quality event. My wife was there and told me she'd prefer to keep using the guy who is always late and ticks off venue managers and planners. I prefer to use someone who causes me less drama and headache.

So basically, he showed up on time, and seemed like a nice person to work with, but he hardly talked on the mic, and did a very mediocre job at music programming?

Vs. The other guy you use has a bad punctuality problem, but has a much bigger outgoing personality, can get high energy, and does a Great job at music programming

This first guy might be worth using for lower end budget parties. He seems like a reliable choice. He doesn't seem like he would be a good fit for a mitzvah, or a wedding where they absolutely want more than a very low key DJ present.

Pair them together ...

Reactions: Jeff Romard
So basically, he showed up on time, and seemed like a nice person to work with, but he hardly talked on the mic, and did a very mediocre job at music programming?

Vs. The other guy you use has a bad punctuality problem, but has a much bigger outgoing personality, can get high energy, and does a Great job at music programming

This first guy might be worth using for lower end budget parties. He seems like a reliable choice. He doesn't seem like he would be a good fit for a mitzvah, or a wedding where they absolutely want more than a very low key DJ present.

I don't think I can fairly assess the new guy's music programming. This was a 50-year Anniversary party and the client (a son of the couple) specifically requested old, old material. My opinion, there was simply no dancing to be had at this event and I don't think I could have done anything better. The guy interfaced with the client well, fit into the situation, and the client told me verbally and via email yesterday that he was well-pleased with our DJ's performance. I suspect in a wedding situation he'd likely be much more in his element and I think it's worth a shot to use him in that capacity. I just want to make sure that I put him on one of our photo+DJ packages so I can personally be there.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
Just using that DJ for one event and you're not there I feel is unfair to make a decision if you want to use him again or not. You did say he showed up ahead of time to setup and there wasn't a whole lot of dancing at the event due to the music selections or styles of music the client wanted. Let us know how he does in your eyes while you're at an event he is the DJ. I'm a DJ that when they are really good I will say so. When they suck I don't have a problem saying so. I don't let my ego get in the way when making that assessment.

Last edited: