Weddings Venue asking for $200.00 deposit

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I booked a wedding for October 12, about maybe 3-4 months ago, last week the Groom informs me that the venue has an agreement I need to sign, so I get the agreement and # 1 flag is that the Venue requires a $200.00 deposit from the DJ
# 2, that the agreement had to be signed when the B&G signed the contract with me.

Now would you give a deposit or have you ever been asked for a deposit? I carry liability insurance and the venue still insists in a deposit, they say it's for all first time dj's at their venue and until they're able to work with the DJ smoothly
:sqeek:

What would you do?

I booked a wedding for October 12, about maybe 3-4 months ago, last week the Groom informs me that the venue has an agreement I need to sign, so I get the agreement and # 1 flag is that the Venue requires a $200.00 deposit from the DJ
# 2, that the agreement had to be signed when the B&G signed the contract with me.

Now would you give a deposit or have you ever been asked for a deposit? I carry liability insurance and the venue still insists in a deposit, they say it's for all first time dj's at their venue and until they're able to work with the DJ smoothly

What would you do?

If it were me, the venue would get nothing. They can have a copy of my proof of insurance along with some referral info to follow up with.

I have this in my contract to cover this sort of thing. Though I am probably going to be told to be nice and eat the $200 because I am so busy.

2. Any venue fees for having us there are paid by you.

This is just another reason to never sign something if you don't agree with it.

I stand by my contracts and I won't force anyone to sign it. And no one forces me to sign one if I don't plan on fulfilling it.

OK, a DJ or band probably did damage to the venue before. This is a deposit, that means that if you don't do any damage, you get it back; so don't do any damage.

I have a similar clause that the others have. But in this case I think I'd work with both them and the venue and just give them the $200. I treat the venue's stuff like it belonged to me so I would be getting the $200 back.

I think Karl has $200. :sqeek: :sqwink:

Sorry Karl, I just couldn't resist.

I guess it's time to re-do my contract then.

I'm not going to pay the $200.00, isn't that why we have insurance?, It doesn't matter how elegant is this venue, I have worked at venues that just to reserve a 4 hour bracket time you have to pay $12,000.00 that doesn't include food, beverage, other grounds rentals. All they asked me was for my insurance certificate and gladly show them a copy.

They can have my proof of insurance and that's it.

As far as paying a retainer fee to a venue..they can kiss my :yomoon:

So do you get the $200.00 back that night? Or do they just hold it as long as you want to Dj there? If they hold it, I would show them what they could hold. If you get it back that night, maybe but I would need to read the agreement.

Could you post the agreement, with the venue named blacked out?

I would ask what the $200.00 is for?

How can you lose it? Is it just a "break something deal" or what if they think you play it to loud? or what if they think you take to long to leave? Or what if they don't like your choice of music?

WHAT is it for?

so sir what do you think? Are you paying it or not?

I honestly think I shouldn't pay, not going to, liability insurance should be enough, if they had bad experiences with other DJ's it's definitely not my fault, although my goal is to take care of my client as much as I can, it does not include to pay others or leave deposits for my services.

To answer Chuck's question, what is the $200.00 for, they simply said
It is for all first time DJ’s that come here, until they have worked smoothly with this venue.
so if for some reason they don't like me, but my client loves me, then they get to keep the deposit.

It reminds of the good old kickbacks with venues and vendors, you have to use my vendors or you pay a penalty, if you the client don't want to pay the penalty, then the vendor you bring will.

What makes it worst is that my client waited until last week to notify me of the venues DJ Agreement.

What makes it worst is that my client waited until last week to notify me of the venues DJ Agreement.

Maybe they didn't know.

The bottom line is that it is the venue's call because they own the establishment and can refuse entry to anyone they choose to because it is private property.

If you refuse to pay their deposit they are well within their rights to keep you out and, if you enter, have you carted off to jail for trespassing.

If you require the client to pay then how will you look in their eyes?

We're only talking about $200. Is it worth the risk to your reputation?

You now know that this exists so you can choose to not work there in the future or you could nice them to death and get exclusive rights to the place and never have to pay the $200 again.

You have to pick your battles. Is this one worth winning the battle but losing the war over?

I would pick this battle... I would say that I wasn't informed of this arrangement and I will not pay... The $200.00 deposit needs to be spelled out what it is for, do I get it back, the reasons they will keep it and so on.

I am a professional and I will NOT be used this way.

I'm sorry, I would not go into that event without knowing. $200.00 is not chump change... If it were $100.00, I would let it go, not $200.00.

How do we know that this is not what they do, wait untill a week before the event and extort money from the DJ...Nope and I would put the word out everywhere about the business practices of that venue....

You wanna bet they didn't do that to the caterer?

And if they just "forgot" to tell me, well then that shows another level of disrespect to MY profession and someone has to stand up for it.

No, Noway, nope....

What would you do?
At this late hour I'd definately try to make an appointment to chat with the venue manager and get the poop on the deposit terms. What's involved... do I get it back, when etc. What does "work smoothly with the DJ" mean to me?

What exactly is expected from my company? Are we on a timeline for loading in and out? If so, what is it?

Would I pay it? If the terms were satisfactory (and the B&G have no issues with the terms), sure.

Why? Well, let's look at the whole scenario: The B&G are less than a month away from their wedding at this venue. It's highly unlikely they'll be able to find another on such short notice. If they did they'd likely lose their own retainer on the current house rental.

If the terms were not to my liking I'd say sorry, not gonna risk two Franklins over uncertain and/or unclear terms or a possible free-range interpretation of the agreement. I wouldn't expect the B&G to risk it either.

What would you do?

I quoted the whole thing because I couldn't believe it!

They get nothing but proof of insurance, if requested- unless the B&G want to lay it out.

This information should have been given to you in the beginning. If the B&G didn't have it, then this was shady business by the venue, If the B&G did, THEY were shady-not saying anything until the last minute..

I would be on the phone tomorrow to the Better business Bureau, and then to any organizations that the venue may be involved in. Chamber Of Commerce, Websites, Wedding mags...- unless they waive the deposit. Again, this is only if THE VENUE withheld the info. If the B&G withheld it, put it in their hands. Either way it's still a shady practice by the venue...

I would be much more flexible, and would handle it pretty much like Fred, if the true conditions were given at the time of contract negotiation.

On the other hand, my contract states that any and all fees and deposits are the responsibility of the B&G..... I have run into this before..

SirDJ, I don't know your location, but if you are in the NY/NJ area, I'd love to know who the venue is. I may be of some help.