We switched to all LED light bulbs in our house

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
My wife brought home a bunch of boxes of Philips brand LED light bulbs yesterday. She works for a lighting distributor, and noticed the cost price of LED bulbs came down enough that she went ahead and decided to buy bulbs to replace all the bulbs in our house.

We had 13 and some 19 watt CFL bulbs through out the house. We replaced them all with 9.5 watt LED bulbs. The 9.5 watt LEDs are at least 10%-15% brighter than their 13 watt "equivalent" CFL counter parts (similar to a 60 watt). You really notice the difference in the dining room where we have a ceiling fan, and there are 3 bulbs to replace. The dining room is real bright now....as if it wasn't bright enough before. Also the bathrooms practically blind you when you turn the lights on in the middle of the night.

We replaced all the bulbs we could except the fan in our room...that uses Candleabra bulbs.

Overall, I like these new LED bulbs in the house. Supposidly the energy cost per bulb for the year is real low like $2.13. I hope to see a decrease in the energy bill, but I don't know how much of a decrease that will make for because the CFLs were all 13 or 19 watt.

Any of you already using LED bulbs in your houses?

Reactions: SEDJ
I just bough some led pod lights to put in the ceiling of our dinning room. The electrician is hooking them up this weekend

I had 4' fluorescents in my bathrooms and kitchen (very 1980's). I replaced them all, including the diffusers, with LED panels. The bathrooms and kitchen were so bright with these new panels, that I had to put dimmer switches in, just so we could turn them down when we wanted a little less light. When you get old, you need more light to see small details. These lights provide all the light I need and may last as long as I do.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SEDJ
I recently replaced the chicken coop lights (CFL) with LED. CFL doesn't get full brightness with age and with cold, so they weren't putting out enough light for my hens to keep laying. LEDs are much brighter. We'll see about longevity in the cold. Never been a fan of CFL.

I recently replaced the chicken coop lights (CFL) with LED. CFL doesn't get full brightness with age and with cold, so they weren't putting out enough light for my hens to keep laying. LEDs are much brighter. We'll see about longevity in the cold. Never been a fan of CFL.

Side note ... even coming from the farm, for the longest time I thought it was due to the cold that the birds quit laying. Duh!

I went all LED about a month ago, for health reason I had a daughter would would get headaches all the time but only while at home, while talking with her Doc he asked what type of lighting we had at home and mention that the CFL's have a undetectable flicker, that has been thought to cause issues with some individuals, turns out he was right, no more headaches, changed around 30 bulbs not noticeable difference in the utility bill maybe 2 or 3 dollars a month

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I went all LED about a month ago, for health reason I had a daughter would would get headaches all the time but only while at home, while talking with her Doc he asked what type of lighting we had at home and mention that the CFL's have a undetectable flicker, that has been thought to cause issues with some individuals, turns out he was right, no more headaches, changed around 30 bulbs not noticeable difference in the utility bill maybe 2 or 3 dollars a month

Funny you mention that I had a teacher in Grade 6 that would turn the fluorescent lights off every day he could. Back then people thought he was crazy he claimed it was very unhealthy and it made children have headaches and become lethargic

Funny you mention that I had a teacher in Grade 6 that would turn the fluorescent lights off every day he could. Back then people thought he was crazy he claimed it was very unhealthy and it made children have headaches and become lethargic

When I was a kid, the White fluorescent lights in my elementary school would give me head aches. It was the worst when I would be reading a book.

I haven't noticed it with compact fluorescents as an adult. However, I do notice it a bit when I go into buildings and there are a bunch of fluorescent lights in the ceiling. I hate halls that have fluorescent lights in the room...Often American Legion Halls, or Fire Halls, or small community centers have it. It's the worst type of lighting to have on during an event. Only using like 1 row on, 1 row off looks stupid. Only having 1 light on here and there looks stupid. There is no real way to make that type of lighting look attractive for an event.

All of my recessed cans have been switched to LED - almost 40 total. I've switched some of the GU10 halogen bulbs to LED as well .. found some nice bright one at IKEA. Even my outdoor flood have been replaced. I would guess I'm close to 90% LED.

All of my recessed cans have been switched to LED - almost 40 total. I've switched some of the GU10 halogen bulbs to LED as well .. found some nice bright one at IKEA. Even my outdoor flood have been replaced. I would guess I'm close to 90% LED.

Our motion activated flood light for our yard has been malfunctioning for years. I currently have a 5000K 30 watt CFL in one side, and a 90 watt halogen in the other side. It doesn't work in the winter time, or any time it get's cooler than like 55 degrees out. I think the wiring the unit is plugged into is all bad. Summer time it works fine. I do want to replace that with an LED fixture. I also still have an old Sulpher Oxide Heat Lamp type of light hanging on top side of house. Been there since the 90s apparently. Still works fine. It turns on dusk till dawn. Without it, the street and entire area near house would be near pitch black...there isn't a street light close enough to light sidewalk, and street near out house.

Our motion activated flood light for our yard has been malfunctioning for years. I currently have a 5000K 30 watt CFL in one side, and a 90 watt halogen in the other side. It doesn't work in the winter time, or any time it get's cooler than like 55 degrees out. I think the wiring the unit is plugged into is all bad. Summer time it works fine. I do want to replace that with an LED fixture. I also still have an old Sulpher Oxide Heat Lamp type of light hanging on top side of house. Been there since the 90s apparently. Still works fine. It turns on dusk till dawn. Without it, the street and entire area near house would be near pitch black...there isn't a street light close enough to light sidewalk, and street near out house.
you have an outhouse, how primitive???

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I have a couple of LEDs, one in an outside yard pole light - tried a photosensor but it died every few months (weather? bugs?) and instead of buying a third I got a very low power LED and just let it run 24/7. VERY bright compared to what wast there. Two pack, put the other in a hall light the kids love to leave on and again, a lot brighter than the 40w it replaced. (or equivalent - other than the DR chandelier i've had no incandesent lights for many years now).

Some CFLs work fine in the cold, others not very well and i'm not sure they last as long as they claim. Had to replace 2 in the living room in the past month, used the CFLs i have, but will be moving to LED.