Weddings Wedding Attire?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Mack Entertainment

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 18, 2014
Plainfield,Il
www.mackentertainment.com
Lately I have seen several DJ' s wearing black dress pants, black polo shits with logo's on them, and black shoes to DJ weddings. Do any of you feel this is proper attire for weddings? I'm asking because presently I wear something slightly more dressed up than that but my dry cleaning bills add up after awhile when I have weddings each week. Wearing something machine washable would be more convenient and cheaper. Just wondered what the going trend is?

I've only done two weddings so far... one was outside and casual, but the other was formal, so I wore a tux. I did a corporate event where the guests were supposed to wear business casual attire, but many were wearing jeans. I wore a sports coat, but no tie. I think a polo shirt with my logo on it would have been fine, however, I've always believed that you can make an impression by the way you dress. The younger people don't dress up like us older folks, though (LOL), so perhaps it depends somewhat on the age of the clients and guests. If you're standing up in front of an audience to make announcements, you need to be dressed better than if you're hidden in the back of the room in a DJ booth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Be formal...it's a wedding. Modified tux for me: vest and matching bowtie, tux shirt, studs and black pants (non-tux) and black dockers or rebox. If B&G want full tux, then that's what I wear. Guess I'm old school. When an outdoor wedding I always ask how the groom will be dressed. If he's not in a tux, neither am I. When it's really warm and outdoor wedding, I dispense the bowtie but stay with the vest and tux shirt w/studs.

I have never worn a tux at a wedding except my own. I tell my clients what I wear and not a one has ever had a problem with my attire.

I think it depends on what the reception calls for. These days with most of my Weddings in barn style buildings a tux would be way over dressed.

But as I said I dress according to the event.

When in Rome!!

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Scrubs :D :D :D

Reactions: Dan The Man
Really?

The easiest answer to this question is:

Put the following question on your WEDDING MUSIC PLANNING FORMS!

"How would you like your DJ to dress for your wedding?"

Suit and Tie? Tuxedo? Dress pants and Polo shirt?

...Let them choose so you can know EXACTLY what attire they want their entertainer in.

Ask the Client how they would prefer you to dress.

I have it on my planning form:
Suit and Tie
Beach Casual (Tommy Bahama Type Shirt and Khaki's)
Dressy Casual (Shirt, Tie, and Dress Pants)

I would feel uncomfortable wearing a polo shirt to a wedding. I guess in my 1000 weddings I have had the honor to DJ I never have even considered a Polo shirt.

I have it on my planning form:
Suit and Tie
Beach Casual (Tommy Bahama Type Shirt and Khaki's)
Dressy Casual (Shirt, Tie, and Dress Pants)

I would feel uncomfortable wearing a polo shirt to a wedding. I guess in my 1000 weddings I have had the honor to DJ I never have even considered a Polo shirt.
But a beach shirt is OK? :)

I think it depends on what the reception calls for. These days with most of my Weddings in barn style buildings a tux would be way over dressed.

But as I said I dress according to the event.

When in Rome!!

You speak truth. It pays not to dress better than the wedding party. I learned this one on my "great big redneck wedding" gig:

The groomsmen
IMG_3498.jpg

And the lovely bridesmaids (each one sporting at least a 10 inch tattoo
IMG_3472.jpg

Me
IMG_3506.jpg
That was a complete, sh$thole of a gig complete with a redneck bar band (who tried to pick a fight with me), the mayor sitting on a tractor smoking pot, and camo-colored duct tape holding the plastic on the tables. Here was the groom.
IMG_3535.jpg
This is where they said their vows.
IMG_3491.jpg
As his bride walked down the dirt road from the house, he was on the dock, in his muddy work boots, smoking a cigarette and 2 hound dogs at his feet. As she stepped onto the platform, he turned around and flicked his cigarette into the water. After that fiasco I swore that if I ever see camo duct tape on the tables again, I'm getting back in the vehicle and leaving. I don't care if they sue me. I will NEVER do a redneck wedding again.

Sorry for the rabbit trail but pro is right. Try to fit in.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Indoors:

1614455_10151837057591512_1504924462_o.jpg

Outdoors: Yes I know it's a bit casual looking, but try spending 10 hours total (setup, ceremony, reception, tear down) with the air temp in the mid 90's and humidity in excess of 85%. You'll quickly learn how to dress nicely for the weather.

1743456_10152191693966512_5394844241155783949_n.jpg

for photography I've always worn a black polo (golf shit material so it breathes and doesn't show sweat) w/ logo, black pants and dress shoes (gel insole and no slip soles). Never had an issue.

But then as a photog my job is to blend into the background and not be seen.

As a DJ I do black dress pants, colored shirt (key'd to their color when I can) and tie...suit for weddings and jacket for most other gigs. The jacket comes off once the open dancing starts and my MC duties are over.

I have done weddings in 100 degree heat wearing my tuxedo. The grooms men were in tuxes, and they wanted me in a tux. Drenched in sweat all damn day. It is what it is.

I am considering pulling my tux off the option list moving into 2016 though. I have not worn my tux yet this year, and only had maybe 4 weddings where they wanted me in a tuxedo last year.

Suit with dress shirt and tie is the main choice this year. I don't have polo shirt as an option for weddings, but for parties I have that as an option. I typically wear a black, or blue dress shirt with a black tie. Sometimes I wear a Maroon dress shirt with a matching Maroon tie. For holiday parties in December, I might break out my red dress shirt

For outdoor receptions, a tux makes no sense, especially if the DJ has no involvement in the actual ceremony. At the outdoor wedding I did, the wedding was held in the garden, but the reception was held on the shaded patio (50-75) guests. I was positioned in a corner of the shaded patio, and though I played the music for the ceremony, I was out of the view of the guests. The bride and groom changed into casual attire after the ceremony, and most of the male guests ditched their coats and ties almost immediately after the ceremony. Summer in Oklahoma is hot and muggy. A DJ would die wearing a tux or coat and tie in the summer heat here, and I have no desire to die just yet (LOL). I also bring my own electric fan because I'd sweat like a pig otherwise (LOL).
I prefer not doing outdoor events, but I will do them I'm on a covered deck (not a tarp). I won't put my speakers out where they are in the sun and possible rain. The house where I did the outdoor wedding had built in Bose speakers all around the outside of the house, so I just tied those into my sound system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After 4 years, I have never had a B&G request a tux. So I haven't gotten one, don't plan on it either. My attire this year is, I wear a pair of black slacks, button up shirt, suspenders, bow tie, and black Converse sneakers. Sometimes I'll go sans tie and suspenders but wear a jacket. The past couple of years I was keying into their their colors and coordinating my shirt and tie with their wedding colors.

I have done a couple of events where I was specifically told "don't bother wearing a tie, no one else will be" So I went slacks and a nice polo. Once in a great while, I'll wear nice jeans and a polo or button up (I usually do the Special Olympics dance and I'll wear something like that.)