Weddings Wedding Dance Floor Lighting: What Do You Guys Use?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

bombdhell89

P.S. The Name's Jason!
This is my first post, so I'll give you all a little background! Been DJ'ing weddings for a couple of years ago and am having a blast! I really enjoy it and this year will be my busiest yet.

I started out with a lower end PA system that I used/still use for my rock band but immediately began reinvesting money into a higher quality and more reliable sound system as soon as I could. So far, I feel like I've got the sound system dialed in for the venues I play in my market and I'm really happy with it.

I was always (and still am) able to make educated decisions on sound gear and feel really good about them before I commit to buying them; however, when it comes to lighting, it seems like I could sit on Sweetwater, YouTube and forums all day and feel just as confused as I did when I started!

I should mention that I have a few fixtures that I really like- don't ask about how long it took for me to commit to purchasing them!) Right now, I have 2 ADJ Inno Pocket Washes, which I usually either put on my table or behind scrimmed speaker stands; and 4 Chauvet Slim Pars that I use mainly for backlighting scrim and uplighting, occasionally. I also have a Chauvet Cubix 2.0, but I'm not sure I really like it and haven't figured out a good way to incorporate it on a reliable, consistent basis. Usually I aim it at the ceiling or wall opposite of me.

I'm curious what you all use and why; I'm particularly interested in what you all use for washes, but I'd like to hear about all your lighting that you typically use at weddings! I'm also interested in compact/unobtrusive (usually not trussed) and repeatable/reliable on a weekly basis. DMX or sound active-I'd like to hear it all!

Thanks in advance guys!

Jason

The thing I find with lighting is they all look so much the same these days until you get in to big money lighting it doesn't make alot of difference.

On an average gig I will bring either my Revo III or 2 Revo I and a Galaxian laser. Lately I've been using my LED Tricksters with the Revo III and Galaxian. I have a couple of dozen others that sit at home doing nothing unless I put up a truss which is rare these days. Generally they are on the floor with the laser in the table I have a Microh LED QuadPar that I sometimes use as a wash but I find it very bright so I am selective where I use it

I run everything sound active it seems to work well for me

I don't know your market but here lighting is a sunk cost. I have a few thousand in lights sitting around that I will really never recoup on but it does make the overall experience for the client better.

I'm a fan of the Inno Pocket washes and I like the Chauvet wave too but I don't see putting out that much money and getting no direct return on it

Hey Jason,

I invested a lot in various lights, and only use about 1/4 of them. I have far more than two-trees worth, and I'm currently only using one tree (plus small set of uplights) at weddings. A mix of LED pars and mini pars, derbies, a couple Chauvet specialty lights, two Mini-Kintas, and a small laser. I also use a pin-spot on a camera tripod, which is for the Grand Entrance and special dances, but later in the evening can be turned on to the dance floor to high-light specific dancers...

I'm thinking of stream-lining quite a bit; I just picked-up a Swarm 5 FX. That and the Mini-Kintas alone would be a decent show, but throw in some LEDs for color wash and I think that would be good. I'm looking at a couple of other things, but I'd like to lesson the set-up time and still have some "wow factor."

I'm just finishing up a pretty spiffy looking DIY facade, and have been experimenting with lighting behind it. When it's finished, I'll try to post some pix (haven't had much success here!). I like the look of some flashy dance lighting behind it, but for weddings, I'm thinking more solid/stable washes provided by mini-pars, something that matches the uplights in the bride's chosen colors, so I'm trying to figure-out splitting DMX on-the-cheap. Once the dance party kicks into drive a bit, I could jazz-up the facade lighting a bit to match the dance floor (at least, that's what I have in mind, but I'm not sure how "stream-lined" that set-up will be!).

GJ

PS-- I see Jeff and I were posting similar ideas at the same time. I use most of the dance floor lights on sound active or pre-sets or "on/off;" I'd like to use DMX, but I only have an Obey 3 right now, and that's dedicated to uplights, plus, 1/2 the time I'm working alone, and there's only so much I can do anyway.

PPS-- One of the "bang for buck" lights I'd like to get is the Revo 4! (Or is it 5; what's the latest?)...

Last edited:
DMX and Kintas don't go too well, so far, and I just got (like, this week) the Swarm, so haven't used it on a gig yet. But right now I'm planning sound active.

GJ

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Jeff, I'm a sound active guy myself- unless I'm using the slim pars, but even then it's just a 3 channel controller. I feel like in my market, lighting is not a huge deal; meaning that some brides have no preference whatsover and I've never sold an uplighting package. or even had an inquiry.

I'm still trying to decide whether the bar has been set low by DJ's before me/in my market now or clients here really just don't care about lighting.

But then I look at some of your guys' sites and the lighting looks spectacular and way beyond my capabilities, both technically and where time is concerned...

The Swarm 5 is four lights in one (or so)-- Derby beams with various single and multi-color settings, LED strobe, red laser, and green laser. If someone was starting out and looking for one hip light (under $200!), I'd strongly suggest it. Like I said, I've only fooled around with it at home so far, but coverage looks pretty good. I did an "electronic fireworks display" for the kids the other night.

The next lights I'd recommend would be a couple Mini-Kintas. Nice derby lights, powerful beams and great throw.

GJ

My small to medium sized weddings typically use Chauvet 4Bar Flexes or similar (like 4 Blizzard RGB Pucks on a crossbar) for simple dancefloor wash. I may add in Martin SCX-500 scanners, ADJ Inno Color Wash 12s, a mirror ball, or ADJ Starball (depending on the venue and desired effect).

I don't do weddings, but am getting close to finalizing the lights .. as Jeff said, sunk cost since it's tough to sell a small amount of lighting and I don't have a need for anything more extensive. Have 1 4Bar tree, Revo 4, 2 Pocket Scans, 4 Blizzard Pars (new), and a Micro Galaxian. Have a UV Bar, but never had the need to use it (except for Halloween). Was going to get another tree (maybe GigBar), but not sure.

What type of gigs do you do, Steve? Also, do you run your blizzard pars on sound active master/slave?

I know it's a sunk cost, when I think about it! Like I mentioned earlier, couples in my market are typically indifferent when it comes to lighting. Maybe I need to start asking them what their expectations are when it comes to that...

I appreciate all your guys' feedback!

What type of gigs do you do, Steve? Also, do you run your blizzard pars on sound active master/slave?

I know it's a sunk cost, when I think about it! Like I mentioned earlier, couples in my market are typically indifferent when it comes to lighting. Maybe I need to start asking them what their expectations are when it comes to that...

I appreciate all your guys' feedback!
I do reunions, company parties, birthdays, and karaoke. My day job keeps me traveling so I'm doing just a few gigs these days as it's tough to commit to bigger events. Used to do live sound work for a few bands, but got out of that .. sold the last of the gear earlier this year. I do a lot of freebie work as well with the local schools and the town. The blizzards are brand new .. just got them yesterday .. haven't even opened the box. Will probably tie them into my Chauvet Obey 40 controller and may move to software DMX. The Inno Pocket Scans I have set to Master/Slave .. kind of cool for a little light.

Good thread... I too have been thinking about upgrading my light show. Currently it is kinda boring. I don't charge for lighting, so I have not put much time or effort into it. I have a couple of Mini Kintas, a couple of Eliminator Electro 4 Packs, and a couple of Chauvet DJ banks on two lighting trees (actually, I have a horizontal bar that attaches to the top of each of my speakers, which sit on top of speaker stands, so I don't normally use dedicated lighting trees). All my lights are set to sound active, and that works OK. I have them connected to an Eliminator ET Pro 8 controller, but all it really does is allow me to turn them on and off. It's just not very exciting. I'll be watching this thread for ideas I can use to improve my light show. Up until now, all I do is think about it, but can't seem to make a decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jason,

I invested a lot in various lights, and only use about 1/4 of them. I have far more than two-trees worth, and I'm currently only using one tree (plus small set of uplights) at weddings. A mix of LED pars and mini pars, derbies, a couple Chauvet specialty lights, two Mini-Kintas, and a small laser. I also use a pin-spot on a camera tripod, which is for the Grand Entrance and special dances, but later in the evening can be turned on to the dance floor to high-light specific dancers...

I'm thinking of stream-lining quite a bit; I just picked-up a Swarm 5 FX. That and the Mini-Kintas alone would be a decent show, but throw in some LEDs for color wash and I think that would be good. I'm looking at a couple of other things, but I'd like to lesson the set-up time and still have some "wow factor."

I'm just finishing up a pretty spiffy looking DIY facade, and have been experimenting with lighting behind it. When it's finished, I'll try to post some pix (haven't had much success here!). I like the look of some flashy dance lighting behind it, but for weddings, I'm thinking more solid/stable washes provided by mini-pars, something that matches the uplights in the bride's chosen colors, so I'm trying to figure-out splitting DMX on-the-cheap. Once the dance party kicks into drive a bit, I could jazz-up the facade lighting a bit to match the dance floor (at least, that's what I have in mind, but I'm not sure how "stream-lined" that set-up will be!).

GJ

PS-- I see Jeff and I were posting similar ideas at the same time. I use most of the dance floor lights on sound active or pre-sets or "on/off;" I'd like to use DMX, but I only have an Obey 3 right now, and that's dedicated to uplights, plus, 1/2 the time I'm working alone, and there's only so much I can do anyway.

PPS-- One of the "bang for buck" lights I'd like to get is the Revo 4! (Or is it 5; what's the latest?)...
^^^^^ There are some really good ideas in this post!!!!
Do you find that the Mini Kintas and the Swarm 5 FX's are too much of the same effect? The Swarm is one of the lights I've been considering.

Jeff, I'm a sound active guy myself- unless I'm using the slim pars, but even then it's just a 3 channel controller. I feel like in my market, lighting is not a huge deal; meaning that some brides have no preference whatsover and I've never sold an uplighting package. or even had an inquiry.

Same here pretty much, This year I've had 2 calls that inquired about lighting. One wanted me to uplight the room which I don't do the other was concerned with DJ lights she wanted the club feel at her reception. Other than that I might get the odd one that asks if I use lights most either assume or don't care

Same here pretty much, This year I've had 2 calls that inquired about lighting. One wanted me to uplight the room which I don't do the other was concerned with DJ lights she wanted the club feel at her reception. Other than that I might get the odd one that asks if I use lights most either assume or don't care
Here... nearly all the DJ's provide lights to varying degrees, most (direct competitors) use a single light tree. I don't know if they charge for lights or not. I think clients in this area expect them, but have no specific requirements or expectations... at least I've not encountered any requests so far. [emoji4]

Last edited:
Reactions: bombdhell89
FYI, the majority of weddings I do usually don't ask for dance floor lighting but do ask for room ambiance lighting and/or monogram projection. I have a Strong Neeva 100 LED for monograms and use Blizzard Puck 3NX for up-lighting. Elected to go with LED monogram projection to do away with hot Halogen bulbs that took a while to cool down. All of my up-lights are static to give room the glow necessary. On occasion, I do add a light tree or two with Eternal Flat Par Pro set to sound activated. Plenty bright and not bad program. And add a pair of VUE 1's. I have plenty of the earlier "spin-n-puke" halogen bulb special effect lights. Just never pulled the trigger on the newer LED units. However, I would purchase a Revo 4/5 if I needed a special affect light.

Almost forgot, I use a Bliss Light 50 at most weddings that shines above the dance floor. Great light...many compliments. I usually set it on my subwoofer and aim it above the crowd on the ceiling. Put a piece of gaf tape on the lower part of the bulb so that the green lazer dots done bother peoples eyes and to make the photographer happy when shooting the B&G's first dance. If I had it to do over, I would purchase a Bliss Light 100...a bit more powerful for those high, dark ceilings. Don't get me wrong the BL50 looks great on white off-white ceilings.

Stay tuned...I may be unloading my Blizzard Puck 3's and NX later in the year. Slowing down toward retirement. You can PM if necessary.

If the Mini Kintas are working for some of you, it may be a factor in me going with the Chauvet GigBar, as it has 2 mini Kintas plus 2 pars and a laser (and stupid strobes I could do without).

I haven't been using effect lighting very much, but when I do I point those fixtures toward the ceiling. I strongly dislike colored dots on dancers. Mostly what I use are color changing wash fixtures. Right now that's a couple of the ADJ mega tripar profiles and a couple of older Blizzard RGBA pucks. I have a couple of ADJ comscans that I can add or a quad phase and Vue 3.

I hardly ever get inquires about specific lighting. Prospects just ask if I have lighting or maybe what kind and how much will it cost.

Up until now, all I do is think about it, but can't seem to make a decision!

This. + 1,000,000

I'd like to use DMX, but I only have an Obey 3 right now, and that's dedicated to uplights, plus, 1/2 the time I'm working alone, and there's only so much I can do anyway.

Is there a better solution? Maybe a next step upgrade from the Obey 3? It's what I have. I'd be interested in controlling all my fixtures as far as changing them to the same color (bridal dance or what have you) and then be able to strobe them and black them all out. Certainly, I don't need an Obey 1,000,000 for that?

I want something I guess that is interesting and maybe a tad bit more control than sound active!

I feel the same way- I'm only one guy, though! It's not worth it to hire someone to help me when I'm not selling lights.

I think clients in this area expect them, but have no specific requirements or expectations... at least I've not encountered any requests so far. emoji4.png

+1. However, I can't help but wonder if this is a missed opportunity to help them realize what intentional lighting could do for their event and possibly book an upsell?

Reactions: DJ Bobcat