Weddings Wedding Dance Floor Lighting: What Do You Guys Use?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Glad you like them. They seem pretty bright in all the videos I have seen.
Are the bulbs replaceable?
I should note that in that pic I had the lenses off... Which makes for a wider beam angle... Here's a shot with the lenses on...

image.jpg

And here's an example of how narrow the beams are...

image.jpg

Very nice setup DJ Wes, and the lights look great too! Are you running those on a DMX controller, or sound active?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I use a DMX Operator 192. All pre-programmed routines.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I should note that in that pic I had the lenses off... Which makes for a wider beam angle... Here's a shot with the lenses on...

And here's an example of how narrow the beams are...

Yeah, that's kind of what attracted me to them in the first place, having the ability to choose either a 60 or 25 degree beam angle.

Having the ability to mount other fixtures on top and also having the iec connectors on the main unit to power them is also a great feature.

Reactions: jokerswild
I have various setups:

Small:
2 Jellydomes
2 Mini Kintas
2 Blizzard 3NX
DMXIS

Not so small:
2 Jellydomes
2 Mini Kintas
6 Blizzard 3NX
DMXIS

Medium:
2 Jellydomes
2 Mini Kintas
5 Blizzard 3NX
2 Blizzard Fab5
DMXIS

Not so medium:
2 Jellydomes
2 Mini Kintas
2 Intimidator Spot Duos
5 Blizzard 3NX
2 Blizzard Fab5
Atari HZ300
DMXIS

Large:
4 Minimac Profiles
4 Intimidator Spot Duos
11 Blizzard 3NX
2 Blizzard Fab5
Atari HZ300
DMXIS

Last edited:
Great thread.
I use a chauvet play 4 bar and a mini kinta on a tree. Sushi DS allows DMX control of that kinta. I have a glaxian I use for some gigs (not weddings). Still not happy with it on the tree...I don't want to point lasers at people.

If i was buying now the gig bar would be a great choice I think.

People here want lights - I don't include them in cheaper gigs but ask 'do you want dance lighting, I can throw it in' (to close the deal) and EVERYONE wants it.
Will they pay for it directly? Don't know.

I'd like to add a mover or two but don't know what to get - the one's i've looked up seem expensive and I'd only use them at school dances and the like.

As for 'programming' the lighting - I have all white setup for for first dance/parent dance, sound active for most of the evening, a dinner setting when I use my speaker stand scrims (set to brides' color) and a slow dance setting.

Reactions: bombdhell89
I have been making my light show smaller and smaller, as I'm gigging more and trying to squeeze stuff into an already over-loaded van. A happy accident at a recent gig (misplaced my hex key) led to me being forced into a smaller show, and I'll be changing my promo materials-- which started out as "including two full light tress!", was edited to "including one full light tree!"-- and will now say something like "including dance lights."

As of now, I'm only bringing a small up-lighting set (4-5 lights), a pin-spot I use as a spotlight, a small pattern laser to light the facade, and for the dance floor, a Swarm FX 5 and two Mini-Kintas. I will probably add another Swarm FX at some point, but that's it unless they want to pay for a much larger show. I've got lights out the ying-yang at this point, and they are heavy, take up a lot of space, and don't necessarily enhance the gig that much, as I find the people are either ready to party, or they're not...

GJ

I'm with GJ. Started out setting up a full truss, then separated it to 2 trees, then went wireless DMX. I finally ditched DMX and the 2nd tree when I got my Martin Acrobats. Now I'm starting to leave those in the van more and more often and have ditched dance lighting from most of my advertising. While I love a big dance light rig as much as the next DJ, I think that's the problem; it's for the DJ's ego. Practically the only time I hear dance lighting mentioned by a Bride is when she's requesting that it NOT be put up. I'm convinced, it's practically meaningless to our clients and can be an impediment on the higher-end event sales.

Reactions: bombdhell89 and Jas
I'd like to go to 2 trees (just for symmetrical balance on bigger events) with most gigs using just 1. Right now it's a 4Bar with 2 Inno Pocket Scans and occasionally a UVLED Bar16 (I can put 4 Blizzard Q12 Pucks on another tree if needed). As Rick said, no one asks for it .. for me it's really just a needed option as some of the smaller places I go have no real lighting in the performing area and I don't want it all in the dark. A GigBar might be the next/last purchase and I will set up each tree with wireless DMX to make it easier on me. I'm hoping for some bright and tiny moving heads in the future ... with LED progress, that might not be too long.

edit: Looking back, I guess I already commented 2 months ago .. sucks getting older.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for some bright and tiny moving heads in the future ... with LED progress, that might not be too long.
I got sucked into buying Chauvet minspots years ago. There OK very small dance floors in a dark room, but they're just way to dim to be decent moving heads. The beam angle is also narrow compared to real MH. At least they helped me to learn how MH work and they weren't expensive.

And just a few years ago I went with a couple of ADJ comscans which are almost bright enough. I wouldn't buy any more though.

Reactions: bombdhell89
I got sucked into buying Chauvet minspots years ago. There OK very small dance floors in a dark room, but they're just way to dim to be decent moving heads. The beam angle is also narrow compared to real MH. At least they helped me to learn how MH work and they weren't expensive.

And just a few years ago I went with a couple of ADJ comscans which are almost bright enough. I wouldn't buy any more though.

Blizzard just introduced their SwitchBlade Micro which looks to be the right size .. not sure a single 15w 4-in-1 will be bright enough, but it's only 5 x 5 x 9.5.

SwitchBlade™ Micro

blizzard-switchblade-micro.jpg

Blizzard just introduced their SwitchBlade Micro which looks to be the right size .. not sure a single 15w 4-in-1 will be bright enough, but it's only 5 x 5 x 9.5.

SwitchBlade™ Micro

No gobos which is OK if that's what you want. I don't see this fixture being good enough to be an upsell.

Good points - low cost, lightweight, DMX. I'll stick with the comscans for now which have gobos.

Reactions: steve149
No gobos which is OK if that's what you want. I don't see this fixture being good enough to be an upsell.

Good points - low cost, lightweight, DMX. I'll stick with the comscans for now which have gobos.
I agree .. at least the ADJ Inno Pocket Spot has gobos and is only an inch larger in each direction .. maybe next year they'll have an Inno Really Small Pocket Spot that will fit the bill.

For those looking to downsize or for those just starting out, I think a good high power scanner with rotating custom gobos is the best bang for your buck.

It can do triple duty in the way that it can come close to having the additional effect of both a laser and a moving head.

They are faster than most moving heads, and have laser like beams. With custom gobos you can use them for monograms, and with dmx control you can decide where to place the monogram. The only advantage moving heads have over a scanner is wider pan/tilt angles.

Two good scanners, some wash lighting and a room effect such as a Starburst or Blizzard Snowball are really all most
would need for events up to 2oo people imo. I might add one more effect such as a moonflower or similar to project on the ceiling.

Steve, I think DJ Stevie Ray already uses those Switchblade Micros, hopefully he can chime in here with his opinion of them.

Reactions: steve149
I have 2 ADJ Inno Pocket Scans .. they replaced the Revo 4 I had (and sold to Randy). Those need to get up high to really cover a floor and the beam can't go vertical (up) or even behind the back for effect, so I think I'd still like a pair of small movers at some point.

Since I do have a light tech at each gig, we have a variety of lights, but display them in a unique manner as to keep our setup minimal and non-intrusive. We'll typically have a t-bar, either with colorstrips or the Gigbar (which I want to sell to Steve) with an Acrobat. Sometimes we'll fly the Bat under the t-bar or simply set it next to the facade on the floor. It makes for a great lighting effect on the dance floor then. Then, behind the booth, we'll have a Revo4 and a couple different types of lasers shooting the ceiling.

I have a set of movers that we'll pull out for the bigger venues and run them on top of the speakers.

It's kinda funny that we get or hear comments alot about where all those lights are coming from?

Of course, we can replace them all with some super special DJ Disco Speakers ...

Typically, I bring a few lights. Lighting DOES help with the atmosphere. I haven't gone full bore in years - but I almost always include a few.

Reactions: DJ Wes