Weddings Wedding Dance Floor Lighting: What Do You Guys Use?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
After some thought and fine tuning to my rig (since posting this) I recently picked up an ADJ Ultrabar 12 for dancefloor wash- For poorly lit dancefloors, I'll put it up on a tree but I try to avoid trees and trussing at all costs to remain as unintrusive as possible! If it's not on a tree, it's behind me uplighting a wall.

I almost always put two slimpar 56's with DMX control behind my speaker scrims which also washes the dancefloor pretty well and looks really cool on SA when the lights go down! Sometimes I'll put ADJ pocket washes on my table in master/slave as well and sometimes I'll point a micro hypnotic at the ceiling! It all depends on where I'm playing and what the lighting is like and what I anticipate the mood to be!

Reactions: sonic-vision
AZ, if you're just getting into it, start small and see what works for you and how people react. Don't overload your show (and your vehicle) needlessly (like I did!)...

A few pars, and few moonflower effects, and you're generally good-to-go.

GJ

AZ, if you're just getting into it, start small and see what works for you and how people react. Don't overload your show (and your vehicle) needlessly (like I did!)...

A few pars, and few moonflower effects, and you're generally good-to-go.

GJ

That was my plan really, well, more so because budget lol, but in all seriousness, 4 wash lights whatever the proper name for them is, I was thinking of a couple of scanners , and a center piece light(s)

Really, lighting doesn't make or break the event but it will break your back and bank! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You never hear brides ask or talk about lighting like they do music selection and reception flow. Add it tastefully here and there, especially dance floor wash- but don't stress about it too much!

For wash, the ADJ ultra bars are great and bright and have cool sound active chases and shows. Add a couple movers if you want for some wow factor or a centerpiece light like a kinta or swarm or similar - but like others have said, focus more on your show and program than your light show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course , I completely agree , figuring out lighting so I can put together a equipment list so I know how much I am spending, or going to be spending.

Lighting - what to buy is overwhelming if you're new to it. I studied it, but not enough before buying my first lights. At this point I like using color changing LED wash fixtures. I point them at the ceiling if in venues that have nice ceilings. Keeps the bright light out of everyone's eyes but the effect is still there. I stay away from effect lighting made up of dots. Those are better pointed at ceilings, not dancers' faces! They also lack elegance which is what most brides prefer.

Since I changed from tripod speaker stands with scrims (and par's under them) to subs w/ tops my lighting is dead simple..looks good and takes 5 minutes to setup.

One stand, put a chauvet 4Play bar on it down about 4", using an o-clamp put a mini kinta on top. I use DMX and short cables on top and long cables from the 4play to the computer/power.

I can add a micro galaxian w/ o-clamp below the 4play for a bit more 'excitement'.

I got the 4 play with the clear heads, aim it at teh walls usually, the floor or ceiling (or a combo) at other times (depends on the venue arrangement) and the kinta I aim at the floor.

I'm tempted to add something aimed at the wall behind me, not sure what.

I detest pars aimed at the dancers/floor having been a photographer for years and when LEDs first came out blue/red lights were everywhere and it made for purple colors that just can't be fixed so brides got a lot of BW dance pics.

Yeah, a hazard of the (photog) job, I guess...

I've been clamping lights right to speaker stands too, works great. That's an important point some folks might miss though, so it bears repeating-- use O-clamps, not C-clamps, whenever possible. C-clamps are less safe, IMHO, but are great at damaging your light and speaker stands (if you like that sort of thing !)...

GJ

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
One Acrobat (mounted on the sub-to-top pole) controlled by an MC1 along with two (sometimes three or four) wireless / battery powered uplights strategically placed on the dance floor is all it takes. It is quick to set up, looks clean and produces a beautiful effect that really adds to the party. Many DJs really overthink it and end up with an 'eyesore' assortment of fixtures on a T-bar.

Another look that I like is two uplit 'sheathed' totems, each crowned with a moving head. The uplighting in the totems actually provides a bit of color-fill.

Reactions: DJ TJ
Not when you are using an Acrobat Wes. :)

I'd have to agree with both of you. I've often mounted acrobats on a speaker pole, between sub/top. Even a single Acrobat, will spray a fairly large area from wall to ceiling. It doesn't always cover the dance floor very well, especially when some bimbo decides to dance right in front of it, blocking the light. I usually mount either one or two units on a crank stand and lift them to 8 feet. From my viewpoint, if you point the fixture facing straight out, it will often cover the dance floor, walls and ceiling quite well. That light is perhaps the best all around fixture I've ever seen. It certainly squashes any of the LED colored dots units.

Yeah, if someone stands in front, I simply ask them to step to the side; no biggie. You can also mount it so that it sprays the ceiling instead of the dance floor for a cool effect and it doesn't get blocked easily that way. I always used to mount it on a T-bar up high but they just work so darn well no matter where you put them. I even sit it on my table top on occasion, when the need arises and it still works great!

Here is a video of one Bat in action sitting on my table top in a tent.

View: https://www.facebook.com/musicmaestrodjservice/videos/946163695406776/

My problem with Martin is that I don't know enough about electronics to fix them. If they're working, great. But when something goes wrong with 'em the repair might cost more than what the fixture is worth. My avatar is an MX1 gobo shining on a dancer. IIRC, I was on a stage at this event, so all of the lights were propped up much higher than at most gigs. The MX1s have been idle since only one out of the two works.

I liked the symmetry of my T stands with 12 par 36 pins on each (powered by a4 channel zero88 FX4 from the early 80s)
with the mirrorball strung on a length of painted 3/4 EMT conduit.
It was very restricting considering that the stands had to be the exact same distance apart each time plus the weight of those pinspots is mind boggling. :)
Awesome wash effect though.

Attachments

• D9.jpg
    D9.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: ittigger and SEDJ
Another great topic. I've only been DJing weddings professionally for a year now, and for some reason, I just love lights. I can't afford uplighting right now, however it is on the list. My current set up is very modest, but it always gets a great response. I'm using a T-bar with (1) mini kinta, (1) laser effect, and a Chauvet 4play. I'm about to purchase 2 wash lights for the T-bar (maybe a couple slimpar 38's).

I'd love to offer my clients uplighting, but I can't justify taking out a loan to afford a 8-12 battery powered lights and the charging kit(s). I figure if I'm going to do it, I need to go hard or go home, lol. Do you all find that it is worth it to have that uplight package offered? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Respectfully,

Bryan

Reactions: Scott Hanna
Another great topic. I've only been DJing weddings professionally for a year now, and for some reason, I just love lights. I can't afford uplighting right now, however it is on the list. My current set up is very modest, but it always gets a great response. I'm using a T-bar with (1) mini kinta, (1) laser effect, and a Chauvet 4play. I'm about to purchase 2 wash lights for the T-bar (maybe a couple slimpar 38's).

I'd love to offer my clients uplighting, but I can't justify taking out a loan to afford a 8-12 battery powered lights and the charging kit(s). I figure if I'm going to do it, I need to go hard or go home, lol. Do you all find that it is worth it to have that uplight package offered? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Respectfully,

Bryan

For me it was. I started offering it before I had it. The handful of bookings paid for the lights.

I would also consider renting the lights early on. You should be able to find a local DJ that can rent them to you where you can make some money too. I've found some djs don't get it and won't want to work with you, but most will.

I just see so many djs spending a lot of money on lights thinking that this will set them apart. It won't. If sold right, it can be a money maker as an add on. But if not enough bookings are your issue, don't expect cool lights to be your savior.