Weddings Wedding Planners & Coordinators

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
I know this subject has been brought up before where some DJs feel it is their God given right to cast aside the Wedding Planners and take over their task.
Here in Houston and I am sure in other cities there are people whose profession it is to do the Wedding/Event Planning and if a DJ was to get in their way that DJ will be very sorry.
I am not referring to the ones who just Claim to be Wedding Planners. Just as how some folks claim to be DJs! I love to work with those people because they make life so simple. The DJ does not have to be running around like a Chicken without it's head trying to get everyone in line.

Take for instance, my Wedding last Saturday. There was no Planner. I was given a list of things I had to do and when to do it. The MOB was in charge and gave all Vendors their cues.. There was absolutely nothing left for me to do rather than follow the given Timeline that was mine.
So I wonder.
This is what a true Wedding Planner/Coordinator does, When DJs say that is their job, do they do all these tasks?
http://briscoemanor.com/services/weddings/day-of-coordinator-services/

Incorrect - as to 'This is what a true Wedding Planner / Coordinator does'. That is what a 'Day Of Coordinator' does for that specific venue. I'm fairly certain that you will find locations in that local area that also offer Wedding Planning / Coordinating ..that don't include all of that .. and quite possibly offer other things.

Wedding planners may offer various levels of services that may be included in this list or not .. just as some DJ's only play clubs, radio, karaoke or specific genres. A DJ that only plays clubs is not any less of a DJ - that's the sphere that they are happy working in. A Wedding Planner that doesn't do all of these tasks .. or maybe none of them .. instead using other tasks, does not make them any less of a planner. Just like there are good and bad DJ's, there are also good and bad planners. I don't know many DJ's that 'cast aside' Wedding planners.

Did they give you what you wanted / paid for successfully? That is the question.

Unless you have some ruling guidelines somewhere that say that this is what a Wedding Planner / Coordinator must do, then this is your opinion of what they should do. Very big difference.

If and when you have 'planned', do you do all of it?

Last edited:
In one local venue where I do weddings there is a wedding planner. She is the boss and the only person that can approach the bride and groom in regards to any vendor issues on wedding day. She is great to work with and makes my job easy at this venue. She is at my meetings with the B&G and helps keep me and them informed and happy :)

I wish she worked all the weddings I do!!!

Reactions: ahoustondj
Ray,
I do believe that there are worthless Planners and Coordinators. its just like hiring any other Vendor including DJs. Some are good and some are not. With that being said, having had this discussion before, some DJs feel it is their (The DJs) job to do the Timeline, meet with the other vendors etc. To which I say, if you are going to go that extra mile at least charge extra for it. I am not saying that they should not do it but if they are going to take over someone elses job at least get paid for it! Unfortunately, many do not. They are just seeking control. Most of the big and prestigious Venues here in Houston have Certified Event Planners that know what the hell they are doing and they make life so very easy for all the Vendors. They don't just show up on the day of the Event, it is all the work leading up to plus the date that is their concern. Like you I love working with them. Ain't nothing more I hate then a DJ running all over the place trying to get everything and everyone in Sync. To me it looks unprofessional. I would much rather do my thing and let others do theirs!

In coordination with the B&G a program is developed for the period of the Reception. Once the Bride and Groom arrive on site, the plan that we developed is followed, quite closely. If there is a wedding planner involved, the B&G most always provide her/him with the typed program that was developed. The wedding planner does step in at various points to sync the B&G and photographer/videographer. I do as a matter of preference and have found it invaluable through the years to verify the "line-up" of the wedding party in the order of their introduction into the Reception hall. My reasoning is to get the correct pronunciation of each member. As I call out their names I always ask for correct pronunciation--if I don't have it correctly phonetically spelled on my "cue" card, I make the pen & ink change at that time. So, pronunciation is critical but even more-so is that they are in the correct position. IF a wedding planner is involved, she/he has already lined them up in the appropriate sequence and all that remains for me is to check the pronunciations.
Through out the evening either I or the coordinator will manage the special dances. Of course, it is always important for me to make an announcement a few minutes before the Special Dance, etc. is about to happen--helps the photo and video people to get ready.

So, in my case...I am not only the DJ, but also MC and at times planner.

And, I have run into the same scenario where the Wedding Planner orchestrates EVERYTHING, too. I find it sometimes easy and other times quite frustrating. Like when too much time has been devoted to cocktails and toasts and the program causing the program to be jeopardized. Had the Bride come to me and want to know why the first dance wasn't happening or wanting to get the program completed so they could party.... Sorry, the Coordinator has told me not to do anything until she has given the word. In that specific instance, the Bride demanded that the First Dance be done NOW! No problem. Cued up the music and made the announcement and off we went! Of course, the coordinator came to me and wanted to know why it was happening as she had things under control. I just pointed to the Bride and said to go talk to her. Lousy coordinator!

That's my two cents.

Reactions: ittigger
I live in a very rural part of the country and don't work with many planners (maybe one or two a year). I would say 99% of what I do is with the B&G and usually there isn't even a venue manager present so I do try and work with the catering staff directly to make sure that there is leftovrs for a second trip through the buffet or to double check our times are the same for dinner starting (it surprises me how often a bride will tell me 6 and I get there and the carter says 6:30.) I work with the photographer to coordinate the grand introduction, etc. It has, at times, meant pulling out a cake cutting set or a corkscrew because the best man was supposed to grab them but they were "pre-gaming" and forgot or some other thing. I don't get paid extra but why should I let them flounder when I have the ability to help?

I love working with wedding planners who know what they are doing and have everything set u. The last time I worked with one, she had ushers doing EVERYTHING to help. There was an usher assigned to me to make sure that if I needed a drink of water or soda or something he'd get it for me.They even helped me unload. I've had some where when I got to the venue, I was set so far away from the dance floor it made things difficult and wouldn't work with me and then disappeared. And I've had inbetween. But it's not something I concern myself with because I work with them so infrequently.

For my wedding planning I hired a professional wedding planner who helped me with almost everything. She helped me to choose best <link snip> for my reception and ceremony. I made a wise move by hiring her.

Minie, please take a moment and introduce yourself. Are you a DJ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a certified Wedding Planner as well as a (formerly) registered Bridal Consultant (haven't re-upped my dues to ABC). Went to school for it. Got a career diploma for them.

I know the difference twixt a pro and a wannabe.

To bad the majority of my peers in the Planning/Consultant realm can't (or won't) make a similar distinction twixt a pro dj and a wannabe. Events would be so much smoother.