What’s In Your Gig Bag?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Bobcat

DJ Extraordinerror
Nov 8, 2014
Oklahoma City
I was just inventorying and organizing my Gig Bag, and WOW… I have a lot of stuff in that bag. My current gig bag looks like this…

ry%3D400.jpg
It’s a Gator Cases GX-BAG-2112-12 Utility Bag with Removable Velcro Divider (21" x 12" x 12"), costing about $50. I used to carry a plastic bin, which was fine, but I like the flexible bag a little better. The only drawback to this bag is that is has only one divider, so it’s a little hard to organize. Also, I find it necessary to repack it after every gig. I have drawers in my DJ rack, so I don’t carry everything in my gig bag; all the cables and devices I use for every gig are in the drawers. The gig bag contains cables and devices I might need depending on the circumstances at a particular venue, as well as duplicate cables I might need if I have to replace a particular cable. I suspect practically all DJ’s carry a variety of power cables, audio cables and lighting cables, as well as specialty items with them in some sort of container.

So here’s the question… What items do you carry in your gig bag? Is there something SPECIAL you carry that other DJ’s may not have thought about?

Last edited:
When I did live sound, I carried guitar picks, strings, drum key and such.

Now it's cables, batteries, Gaf tape, glow-in-the-dark tape (to mark things in dark areas), board tape (1/2 wide white tape to mark channels on my mixer - paper surface and thick to allow marker use), flashlight, Leatherman multi-tool, Milwaukee multi-screwdriver, and usually some snack bars.

Oh and lots of Velco.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Extra cables, cords (powered, dmx, xlr) ... an odd variety of just about anything and everything.

Along with some additional tools, flash lights, batteries, velcro, screws, extra sub wheels, personal hygiene products, lint roller, even a little stash of emergency cash.

Sewing kit, clippers, tide sticks, pens, business cards.

Extra cables, cords (powered, dmx, xlr) ... an odd variety of just about anything and everything.

Along with some additional tools, flash lights, batteries, velcro, screws, extra sub wheels, personal hygiene products, lint roller, even a little stash of emergency cash.

Sewing kit, clippers, tide sticks, pens, business cards.
The sewing kit, clippers, and tide sticks are interesting??? Explain please?

I carry a separate bag with personal items, change of clothes, shoes, etc. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The sewing kit, clippers, and tide sticks are interesting??? Explain please?

I carry a separate bag with personal items, change of clothes, shoes, etc. [emoji4]

I've helped put two gowns and a few buttons back on shirts before.

Tide sticks for quick stain remover and the clippers are just in there; just in case. lol

I carry a separate change of clothes the day of.

I also always keep little pre-filled toothbrushes (forget the brand) and a razor in all my vehicles .. just in case I missed something.

When I did bar gigs, I remember throwing in rolls of both Tums and mints into the gig bag. Probably good for any gig where you actually have to talk to people.

Ear plugs are not in my bag, but certainly an excellent idea. Is there a particular style/brand you recommend?

I like the Etymotic ER-20 ( Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs, Standard Fit, Clear Stem with Blue Tip (Light Blue): Health & Personal Care ) .. I can still hear most frequencies and they fit decently for cheap plugs.

They have different styles and sizes as well ... Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20

I havent put any none DJ related items in mine yet, and mine are two plastic tool boxes I picked up from Wally World, one is just my cable box, the other has my mics, my old wireless mic receiver and its mics, headphones, DI box, I think a screw driver , and heck, not sure what is at the bottom that I cant see. I need to get more stuff to put in it I think lol

My daily-use backpack has assorted toiletries and medicines,
along with ace bandages and other support-type stuff (bad ankles, knees)
a belt and a pair of suspenders, spare eyeglasses, and a Leatherman tool.
My gig tool box has replacement cables, adapters, connectors, batteries, light clamps,
three prong AC adapters, tools, bulbs, worklights, and other items I can't think of right now.
The guys in the Production Company used to laugh at how I packed an "overnight bag"...
but I always had everything I needed, and being prepared gives me confidence in my work.

Not a bag but Rubbermaid bins (Buying cases soon) audio/video/PC/DMX/Power cables, large HD power cords, adapters, 2 pairs of headphones, gaffers/electrical/duct/masking tape, zip ties, fuses, halogen bulbs, truss clamps, hose clamps (They can get you out of trouble in a pinch), cable tester, multi-meter and a full tool box so I can solve almost anything that can come up.

Not a bag but Rubbermaid bins (Buying cases soon) audio/video/PC/DMX/Power cables, large HD power cords, adapters, 2 pairs of headphones, gaffers/electrical/duct/masking tape, zip ties, fuses, halogen bulbs, truss clamps, hose clamps (They can get you out of trouble in a pinch), cable tester, multi-meter and a full tool box so I can solve almost anything that can come up.
I keep a full toolbox in all my vehicles, but it's too big and heavy for my gig bag. I could always run out to the minivan if I need a tool that's not in my PC tool kit.

Reactions: DJ SVO
LOL!!! You should see my toolboxes I can tear down a car from top to bottom. You never know when that weird tool will get you out of trouble.

Rubbermaid bin here - dmx cables, extension cords, RCA cables, various power and audio adapters, power outlet testers, batteries (AA), screwdrivers, alcohol wipes, gaffers tape, spare mic, spare power adapters (for external drives) and velcro strips. 'Suit bag' has lint roller, spot remover, tie clips, spare ties (sometimes the groomsmen forget it at home), etc.

Last edited: