What’s In Your Gig Bag?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Mine weighs about 90 Lbs lol. I have backups for my backups in there. I can't imagine a wire that I'll ever need that I don't have 2 of. I even have
speaker cables for my passive system that hasn't moved it 2 years lol. Everybody laughs at me for it....Until they need a cable ;)

photo.JPG

Mine weighs about 90 Lbs lol. I have backups for my backups in there. I can't imagine a wire that I'll ever need that I don't have 2 of. I even have
speaker cables for my passive system that hasn't moved it 2 years lol. Everybody laughs at me for it....Until they need a cable ;)

View attachment 29582
I know what you mean about the weight... you have to be careful because it adds up pretty quickly. I have some extension cords in my gig bag I've never used, but I can foresee a circumstance where they'll be needed. Still, it's always good to pull everything out every once in awhile and decide if it's worth continuing to carry each item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I really think it's my version of OCD. I have another hockey bag full of cables in storage most previously used but replaced for safety sake they still work. I literally have at least a couple of thousand tied up in cables

Sometime in the mid 90's I was going to buy a pair of CV speakers from a friend of mine. What I didn't notice was that they were Speakon connectors. I had never seen a Speakon before let alone used one and the gig was 50 miles outside of town. Fortunately I arrived early and was able to return to town to fix the mistake but I've had a paranoia ever since.

A few years ago I had a break in to my truck and lost a Laptop, wireless mic, and my gig bag. The gig bag was probably the most expensive part. I got the laptop back I figure the wires got tossed in the woods somewhere because they had no value to the person

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I really think it's my version of OCD. I have another hockey bag full of cables in storage most previously used but replaced for safety sake they still work. I literally have at least a couple of thousand tied up in cables

Sometime in the mid 90's I was going to buy a pair of CV speakers from a friend of mine. What I didn't notice was that they were Speakon connectors. I had never seen a Speakon before let alone used one and the gig was 50 miles outside of town. Fortunately I arrived early and was able to return to town to fix the mistake but I've had a paranoia ever since.

A few years ago I had a break in to my truck and lost a Laptop, wireless mic, and my gig bag. The gig bag was probably the most expensive part. I got the laptop back I figure the wires got tossed in the woods somewhere because they had no value to the person
Ya have to be careful where you put a gig bag these days... You leave it in the wrong place and before you know it, the bomb squad's there with their robots gettin' ready to blow it up. [emoji3] With all the wires and electronic contraptions, they can easily be mistaken for something threatening. [emoji3]

Other things I have besides those mentioned above:
small clip on LED lamp to illuminate request lists
tip jar w/ $5 in it
LED head lamp for taking down my gear in the dark
Credit Card reader that plugs in my cell phone
small LED lamp that plugs into my USB port that illuminates my keyboard
door stops
table cloth
pads of paper for requests
my 'Requests' sign and sign telling people I don't play songs from cell phones, CDs, etc.

I have separate gear bags and gig bags, my gear bag has spares of cables/ adapters and miscellaneous parts, my gig bag is more personal affects and common use item, Imodium, a few energy bars, batteries, lint roller, gum, toothbrush and tooth paste, floss, sewing kit, etc. I also have a a wedding bag in the trailer that has a spare throw bouquet, cake knife, guest signing book and a few other goodies that have proven helpful over the years

Reactions: Galager
I have separate gear bags and gig bags, my gear bag has spares of cables/ adapters and miscellaneous parts, my gig bag is more personlal affects and common use item, Imodium, a few energy bars, batteries, lint roller, gum, toothbrush and tooth paste, floss, sewing kit, etc.
I carry two bags as well, but I call the one containing my spare cables and such a Gig Bag, and the one containing my clothes and personal items a... well, I don't call it anything.[emoji1]

Reactions: SEDJ
I have separate gear bags and gig bags, my gear bag has spares of cables/ adapters and miscellaneous parts, my gig bag is more personal affects and common use item, Imodium, a few energy bars, batteries, lint roller, gum, toothbrush and tooth paste, floss, sewing kit, etc. I also have a a wedding bag in the trailer that has a spare throw bouquet, cake knife, guest signing book and a few other goodies that have proven helpful over the years

Interesting idea for the wedding bag. Hadn't considered that before.

I can see batteries in a gig bag .. what are they for in the personal bag? :embarrassed:

Reactions: BlueLineDJ
God my gig bag weighs like 40 pounds and has everything from cables, batteries and extra laptop (It has a pocket for that). Screw drivers, gaff tape and just about everything else you can OCD about. I even have a bunch of crown royal bags that I bought just in case a bride forgets her money bag for the money dance (which I hate). Believe it or not this happens more often that I care to think about. And rather than have her stressing (here you go).

when I was younger and did a lot of club work "condoms" were in my gig bag. Dem were the days.
We just had regular ole balloons at our parties...:laugh:
Children%20with%20balloons%20in%20park.jpg

Other things I have besides those mentioned above:
small clip on LED lamp to illuminate request lists
tip jar w/ $5 in it
LED head lamp for taking down my gear in the dark
Credit Card reader that plugs in my cell phone
small LED lamp that plugs into my USB port that illuminates my keyboard
door stops
table cloth
pads of paper for requests
my 'Requests' sign and sign telling people I don't play songs from cell phones, CDs, etc.

What is everyone's opinion on a tip jar? I know we all have the right to our own opinions, but I think it is tacky business to have one sitting out. We are paid for a service at a price we set ourselves. Therefore, I do not think we should be soliciting further funds via a tip jar from those we serve. It's not like we are servers making below minimum wage.

Reactions: Galager
What is everyone's opinion on a tip jar? I know we all have the right to our own opinions, but I think it is tacky business to have one sitting out. We are paid for a service at a price we set ourselves. Therefore, I do not think we should be soliciting further funds via a tip jar from those we serve. It's not like we are servers making below minimum wage.
I have a nice little tip cup I got for free from one of the gear vendors I purchased from. I've never used it. All my gigs have been somewhat high end, and I was paid my full rate. I might consider putting it out if I do an event for which I significantly discounted my rate... not sure???[emoji4] I do carry it in my gig bag.

You make a very good point. I NEVER have a tip jar out during a wedding. I have it in my bag for when I do some corporate events, Christmas parties, or times like that where it would be more appropriate. I have no problem having it out then IF I feel it is appropriate. Even then I always ask my employer if it is OK before I do it. Some have actually told me that I should have a tip jar out BEFORE I had a chance to even ask them.

Reactions: BlueLineDJ