Weddings What do you charge?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

TJtheDJ

New DJ
Nov 21, 2010
Red Deer, AB Canada
I am compiling a list of what DJ charge and want to see the differences from the different parts of the country. I did a search and came up with nothing.

I am looking for a base line, so if you have 3 packages, what is your middle one, or if you do fully custom quotes what is your average for this year?

If you don't want to post it here you can PM. I promise I wont share it with anyone here.

My average this summer is going to be $1200 and I will be charging more next year as I am already booking up quite solid for the summer. Prices range in my area from $500 to about $2000 for a 7 hour Cocktail/Dinner/ 4h dance with a basic light show.

I am curious to see what the differences are by region.

I'll give you the same answer I give clients:

Without more info, I can't really give you a price. But to give you a ballpark, in the last two years, I've had contracts as low as $300, and as high as $2700.

Does that answer your question?

My average this summer is going to be $1200 and I will be charging more next year as I am already booking up quite solid for the summer. Prices range in my area from $500 to about $2000 for a 7 hour Cocktail/Dinner/ 4h dance with a basic light show.

I am curious to see what the differences are by region.

You've already determined what you need to get for your services, so what would be the point in knowing what everyone else needs? You could search this and any other forum for countless quotes and debates on pricing.

To each their own.

:tricool:

In my neck of the woods DJs will charge anywhere from $50 up to nearly $3K. It all depends on what you're looking for.

[ECHO]I'll give you the same answer I give clients:

Without more info, I can't really give you a price.[/ECHO]
If you would like to discuss your event or schedule a meeting to do so, I will provide you with a reliable and firm proposal, just say the word and we will begin...
My variation in blue.

I typically don't state a fee range because it creates limits, both low and high and I have no reliable data on which to rely in doing so. I would hate to remove myself from their consideration because my high was too low!:triwink:

Does a $50 DJ technically count as a "DJ"?
Technically, yes...effectively, possibly...profitable beyond the following Monday, not likely.

My variation in blue.

I typically don't state a fee range because it creates limits, both low and high and I have no reliable data on which to rely in doing so. I would hate to remove myself from their consideration because my high was too low.
I agree in principle, but disagree in practice, because:

If a client is thinking the price would be considerably more than I have gotten in the past, then they probably have expectations that I not only cannot fulfill, but have no desire to fulfill.

For what it's worth, my price is just for me, my expertise, and my basic sound system. No lights, no video, no dancers, no give-aways. If they want any of those things, I refer them to someone who can handle it.

:tritongue:
I was being facetious.
=)
I was not aware you were from the Island of Facetia!

I'm from the neighboring continent of Wyzassia.

I agree in principle, but disagree in practice, because:

If a client is thinking the price would be considerably more than I have gotten in the past, then they probably have expectations that I not only cannot fulfill, but have no desire to fulfill.

For what it's worth, my price is just for me, my expertise, and my basic sound system. No lights, no video, no dancers, no give-aways. If they want any of those things, I refer them to someone who can handle it.
I'd bet, and probably with little fear of losing, that you are more than capable of handling it!

Although I certainly appreciate the capacity of simply not wanting to. We all have our parameters.

you all sound like a bunch of lawyers with your fancy talk, are you lawyers or DJ, I'm thinking its a pretty easy question to answer hers mine, 4 hr wedding in my area $550.00 :tricool:

you all sound like a bunch of lawyers with your fancy talk, are you lawyers or DJ, I'm thinking its a pretty easy question to answer hers mine, 4 hr wedding in my area $550.00 :tricool:

Actually, it's a very difficult question to answer without defining the boundaries of each region. I can tell you what I charge in my market and what some of the others around me are going for, but that is one market within the state of Indiana let alone the Midwest region.

Maybe some of us read the entirety of a question, actually THINK about our answer and respond as we see fit.

I'd bet, and probably with little fear of losing, that you are more than capable of handling it!
"Handle it" is an interesting phrase.

If the client's expectations included, for example, music videos, yeah, I could 'handle it', but I'd never be able to deliver what I would consider to be an acceptable performance. Ditto for lights and an oversized sound system. But these are all things that could affect the price.

There are a lot of parameters that affect the price.

For one thing, the original poster never mentioned 'wedding'. Why assume?

"Handle it" is an interesting phrase.

If the client's expectations included, for example, music videos, yeah, I could 'handle it', but I'd never be able to deliver what I would consider to be an acceptable performance. Ditto for lights and an oversized sound system. But these are all things that could affect the price.

There are a lot of parameters that affect the price.

For one thing, the original poster never mentioned 'wedding'. Why assume?

since we are in the wedding channel and i said this is what i get for a wedding

Is the price the same if you have to go up three flights of stairs?