What is a fair net pay for a DJ that you book on gigs?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I pay my DJs 200.00 per event. I do all the set up and tear down and provide all the equipment. The actual time DJing falls between 5 to 7 hours. I don't know if this seems fair or not to most, but I am finding it difficult to keep DJs working for me.

I run four systems, although I don't have all four out every weekend. So it isn't easy to keep a steady consistent hours for everybody.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I pay my DJs 200.00 per event. I do all the set up and tear down and provide all the equipment. The actual time DJing falls between 5 to 7 hours. I don't know if this seems fair or not to most, but I am finding it difficult to keep DJs working for me.

I run four systems, although I don't have all four out every weekend. So it isn't easy to keep a steady consistent hours for everybody.

Woah...Now there's a post out of LEFT FIELD!

Welcome to the forum New Member! Introduce yourself to everybody!

As for how you are operating...This is very interesting. What you are describing are how a few multi ops operated YEARS ago in my area. One Multi Op had a set up crew that would go around and set up all the equipment. They DJ would show up with their laptop with all of their music, and plug into mixer. The DJ would perform, then unhook, and leave as a tear down crew of 2 guys would stop by to tear the equipment down. Sounds like a tedious process to me for all involved. I understand that multi op owner was paying $85 for the DJ for 4 hours, and also had a tough time keeping DJs around. ...I mean $85 in pay for doing a 4 hour wedding isn't much enticement to keep them loyal to setting their Saturday night aside to go and perform a wedding. Someone could invite the DJ to a party, or the DJ decides he just wants a Saturday night off...what's missing out on 85 bucks? ...I understand that guy paid the set up crew $10/hr each and it was a crew of 2 guys. I don't think that multi op operated in that fashion any more though. He is still around, but he sub contracts to DJs and finds DJs willing to work for $150 - $200 for 4 to 5 hours. ...I also hear he takes 3 to 4 weeks to pay the DJs for each event. Seems like a crap shoot for the DJ. ...I hate waiting longer than 2 weeks to be paid.

...I am actually waiting to be paid on a January 15th gig from an agent, and it's very irritating. ...When this happens I feel like they are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Should never take that long to pay a DJ for an event.

Anyway, I don't know your market, but $200 per event doesn't seem too far off if you are providing all the equipment, and they don't have to set up or tear down anything. Seems like a Easy gig for them...BUT at the same time $200 isn't A LOT of money and certainly isn't enough to keep a reliable guy locked into an event. I mean a good bartender will make more than $200 in tips on a Saturday night at a busy bar. If something else more important comes along, the DJs you employ will easily make an excuse or call out. Missing out on $200 isn't THAt big of a deal...Now if they were being paid $450 for 5 to 7 hours...That is a lot of money to pass up and you would probably have much more reliable guys at that price point. Where can anybody go and earn $450 for one night's work?

Could you yield a bump in pay to $300 or $325 to your more reliable, trustworthy guys. Or offer more pay to DJs who stick around and do a good job? Maybe after 6 months of proven performance and reliability offer them more money. Also, offer another pay bump after 12 or 18 months of being a good employee. Maybe charge a bit more for those DJs as well if feasible.