What is your best idea?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
"On music programming, you may already know that a lot of DJs use the 'old people' music first, then work their way up to more modern material. My opinion, it's a waste of time and you lose guests because of it..

As you noted, "if this works for you"...then go for it.
Personally, I use the "play the oldies first" as a selling point.
If I am pitching to the adults, they are RELIEVED to hear that I won't forget about the grandparents.
The bride and groom and glad to know that I intend on making sure the "old folks" tire out early,
so they can end the night hearing what THEY want to hear.
Funny thing is, it's kind of related to your "four song" plan.
I usually go in blocks of four or so, changing tempo, genre, and age.
I just concentrate of the older guests in the beginning....as long as it fills the floor.
If not, on to PLAN "B".

The thing I've tried really hard to do, right from the start, is produce good sound. Real good sound, with as physically light as possible rig (i.e. diy 15" neo mag subs).

I have played around with electronics my whole life - a licensed Radio Amateur since I was 13 years old, and then I seriously got into so-called High End audio as I got older, building and modifying everything. I still do. Electrically, about the only stock pieces of gear I have are my laptops, even one of my controllers have been under the soldiering iron (added +5vdc regulator and power supply to my Pioneer DDJ-SB so it's not sourcing current from the laptops USB port*).

I get lots of complements on how it sounds, but I really don't know if it's that big a selling point to John Q Public. What I do know is that it's easy to move, so I can drag it in the house, put on the 5th movement of the Mahler 2nd, and it sounds superb!

* Techno-weenie mumbo-jumbo. Don't worry about it!

Last edited:
I also don't use the term, "music programming". To me, it sounds like putting in songs beforehand and letting it go. I tell them that I will be right by my computer while people are dancing, playing songs, watching the crowd, ready to make adjustments as needed.

Being of the Engineering sector, I am really proud of the roadcase that I built a couple of years ago that has EVERYTHING I need in it for a wedding reception. Big bastard though.

I also fashioned a caster mount to the top of my truss system, so that it rolls out like a wheelbarrow and into the trailer. Makes setup and teardown a breeze.

Lastly, separating ourselves from the others by being personal, professional, and technologically adept.

Reactions: ittigger
The thing I've tried really hard to do, right from the start, is produce good sound. Real good sound, with as physically light as possible rig (i.e. diy 15" neo mag subs).

I have played around with electronics my whole life - a licensed Radio Amateur since I was 13 years old, and then I seriously got into so-called High End audio as I got older, building and modifying everything. I still do. Electrically, about the only stock pieces of gear I have are my laptops, even one of my controllers have been under the soldiering iron (added +5vdc regulator and power supply to my Pioneer DDJ-SB so it's not sourcing current from the laptops USB port*).

I get lots of complements on how it sounds, but I really don't know if it's that big a selling point to John Q Public. What I do know is that it's easy to move, so I can drag it in the house, put on the 5th movement of the Mahler 2nd, and it sounds superb!

* Techno-weenie mumbo-jumbo. Don't worry about it!

I've got good gear but I don't think I am dialed in with the quality of sound as well as I could be. It sounds good but it could probably sound better. Fortunately in a few weeks I am sending my middle daughter to a sound engineering tech school for almost a year. That's an awfully expensive way to get my sound quality to improve... I don't recommend it.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
About 20 years ago I decided to stop smashing watermelons at weddings. Now, it's strictly smartphones.

I'm sure smashing smart phones can be pretty satisfying... extremely satisfying I imagine. But I still prefer watermellons. You know what they say... Tastes great, less fulfilling.

Reactions: ittigger