What would you like to have and can't afford right now?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Generally speaking for 95% of DJs out there, $2,000 per event is going to pretty much be the max. And that's a high price point to effectively pitch, and book all events at.

The ones that claim higher price points are either:

A. Selling multiple services to surpass the 2K mark such as Up Lighting, Photo Booth, Drapery, Wedding planning, officiating, Setting up a hot dog stand, bartending etc. :)
B. They live in a very high cost area and are only truly able to fetch above $2,000 due to the market conditions. ...Look At Hawaii for example. Many DJs there charge $2,500 - $3,000 to do a wedding, BUT there are only so many DJs on the islands there, and it's very expensive to live there. These guys usually only pull 20 or less weddings a year at those rates too.
C. They are people like Peter Merry etc. who do book at say $3,000...BUT they are only booking like 5 to 10 weddings a year...And that's because the pool of clients willing to pay that high price is very small. Just the way it is.

Figuring those parameters. Let's say You as a DJ reaches the $2,000 per wedding mark on the routine. Let's say market conditions are awesome, and you are able to actually book 50 gigs a year at that price. That is $100,000 a year in revenue. Honestly, that is about as good as it gets in Mobile DJ land, and honestly that amount of revenue is pretty nearly impossible to actually make happen for a single op. Possible yes, but very, very unlikely.

More likely of a number is trying to obtain $70,000 a year. And actually keeping that type of revenue coming through to you is another very hard task as well.

Basically, is it even worth it to purchase the highest quality equipment for your business if you know you will only MAYBE yield $70,000 a year as a Mobile DJ?
I had 1 year where I made $100,000 while still working a full time job too, I did 40 weddings averaging $1500, I had a standing every other week ig with a chain of 4 nursing homes Thursday afternoons for $300 and a contracted Friday night bar gig at $300 per week,
weddings 60,000
Nursing Home 7800
Bar 15600
total 83400

Plus just under $12,000 in miscellaneous gigs I worked a lot of weekdays and Sundays, and about $5000 in P.A. rentals

I had 1 year where I made $100,000 while still working a full time job too, I did 40 weddings averaging $1500, I had a standing every other week ig with a chain of 4 nursing homes Thursday afternoons for $300 and a contracted Friday night bar gig at $300 per week,
weddings 60,000
Nursing Home 7800
Bar 15600
total 83400

Plus just under $12,000 in miscellaneous gigs I worked a lot of weekdays and Sundays, and about $5000 in P.A. rentals
When did you get a chance to sleep or have some recreation time for yourself? Never mind your family.

Right now I wish I could get another pair of Earthquakes for the same price I paid for the one's I have now. I paid $400 for the pair. I will be using them on Friday September 9th for this surprise 25th anniversary celebration. Actually 4 Earthquakes and 4 double 15 tops. The sound should be through the ROOF.

Right now I wish I could get another pair of Earthquakes for the same price I paid for the one's I have now. I paid $400 for the pair. I will be using them on Friday September 9th for this surprise 25th anniversary celebration. Actually 4 Earthquakes and 4 double 15 tops. The sound should be through the ROOF.
You have 300-400 people coming to a surprise 25th? Otherwise you would seem to be heavily gunned.

You have 300-400 people coming to a surprise 25th? Otherwise you would seem to be heavily gunned.
No not heavily gunned. This is a large room with a large ceiling. To have it sound right you need to bring some fire power. I want it to be over the top for people to remember us. I want it to be at least a month later that they are still talking about the event and how good the music was. I don't know how many people will show up. My guess is at least 150 people easily. A lot of the people know me and the guy that the surprise is for. He is very well liked along with me as a DJ. People who are coming have been complimenting me on previous stuff I've done that they attended.

I wouldn't use any subs at all in a room like this. Large rooms with high ceilings most likely have very poor acoustics. Any SR person would suggest removing subwoofer frequencies.
Certainly wouldn't suggest reinforcing them with 4 sets of double 15s on top ... :)

Just out of morbid curiosity what are you powering them with?

Reactions: PhaseIIPro
No not heavily gunned. This is a large room with a large ceiling. To have it sound right you need to bring some fire power. I want it to be over the top for people to remember us. I want it to be at least a month later that they are still talking about the event and how good the music was. I don't know how many people will show up. My guess is at least 150 people easily. A lot of the people know me and the guy that the surprise is for. He is very well liked along with me as a DJ. People who are coming have been complimenting me on previous stuff I've done that they attended.
More isn't always better, you don't need this system for this show. How many partners do you need for a show this big ?, o you even own the proper processing equipment to make it work correctly, usually those Vegas require a little delay to be used in the tops or they sound off

Last edited:
More isn't always better, you don't need this system for this show. How many partners do you need for a show this big ?, o you even own the proper processing equipment to make it work correctly, usually those Vegas require a little delay to be used in the tops or they sound off
We got it covered all the way and yes you need this setup for this crowd. You can't half step with this crowd in this room. They know the difference because of what others do in this room monthly.

Through the roof? Sure Mix. I'm sure that if you have anything to do with setting it up, wiring it, etc, it will sound like pure ass. What settings will you be using on the driverack?

Reactions: DJ TJ
I have a QSC 2450 and crown amp myself. The guy helping with the event has 2 Behringer EP 4000's I think and another amp. Not sure what that is.
As mentioned Mix, you REALLY need signal processing with this setup .. you'll need to delay all the tops around 5-7ms to make up for the horn loading on the CVs (or set the tops 5-7 feet behind the subs) .. then you'll need to play with crossover points, as you'll have a lot of large drivers and will have to tailor some to handle the mids efficiently. Double 15s are good for OUTDOOR events, as bass doesn't carry as well as the highs, but will sound REALLY muddy indoors if not processed properly.

And the listed amps really aren't the right ones for the speakers .. probably OK for the tops, but the subs, to sound clean, will need more juice.

I hope you're not thinking that LOTS OF SOUND is just as good as GOOD SOUND.