Worst/craziest gig you've done

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Galager

DJ Extraordinaire
Feb 5, 2016
I was trying to help my daughter start DJing. It can be an excellent part time job if you're good at it and she is. So she came home one day and told me she booked her first gig... for both of us... an outdoor wedding and reception for $150. Yippee. Being the supportive father I am I told her I would gladly help her do the gig.

Fast forward to the week before the reception and my loving daughter had something come up and wasn't able to do the gig leaving me to do it solo.

First of all they wanted some rap songs that had profanity in them. When I emailed them back about this concern they said that was fine. They WANTED the versions with the profanity in them.

The bride walked down the isle to the theme song for Dexter... a TV show about a serial killer who actually worked for the police helping to solve homicides. The groom had a young daughter and he wanted a special dance with her. The song he danced with her was '97 Bonnie & Clyde by Eminem. If you are unfamiliar the song it's about a man speaking to his infant child. Here are some of the lyrics:

C'mon hai-hai, we goin' to the beach
Grab a couple of toys and let da-da strap you in the car seat
Oh where's mama? she's takin a little nap in the trunk
Oh that smell (whew!) da-da musta runned over a skunk
Now I know what you're thinkin', it's kind of late to go swimmin'
But you know your mama, she's one of those type of women
That do crazy things, and if she don't get her way, she'll throw a fit
Don't play with da-da's toy knife, honey, let go of it (no!)
And mama said she wants to show how far she can float
And don't worry about that little boo-boo on her throat
It's just a little scratch, it don't hurt, her was eatin'
Dinner while you were sweepin' and spilled ketchup on her shirt
Mama's messy isn't she? we'll let her wash off in the water
And me and you can pway by ourselves, can't we?
See honey, there's a place called heaven and a place called hell
A place called prison and a place called jail
And da-da's probably on his way to all of em except one
'cause mama's got a new husband and a stepson
And you don't want a brother do ya? (nah)
Maybe when you're old enough to understand a little better
I'll explain it to ya
But for now we'll just say mama was real real bad
She was bein' mean to dad and made him real real mad
But I still feel sad that I put her on time-out
We're gonna take mama for a whittle walk along the pier
Baby, don't cry honey, don't get the wrong idea
Mama's too sweepy to hear you screamin' in her ear (ma-ma!)
That's why you can't get her to wake, but don't worry
Da-da made a nice bed for mommy at the bottom of the lake
Here, you want to help da-da tie a rope around this rock? (yeah!)
We'll tie it to her footsie then we'll roll her off the dock
Ready now, here we go, on the count of three dummies
One, two, free, wee! (whoosh)
There goes mama, spwashin' in the wa-ta
No more fightin wit dad, no more restraining order
No more step-da-da, no more new brother
Blow her kisses bye-bye, tell mama you love her (mommy!)
Now we'll go play in the sand, build a castle and junk
But first, just help dad with two more things out the trunk

Gee... I can absolutely see why you'd want to dance with you young daughter to this at your wedding. There was more craziness and they even tried to short me on the cash! Let's just say my soul died a little that day while I played this music with a forced smile on my face.

Look at it this way. They wanted to pay a DJ $150 to do their wedding. What did you expect? I'm not surprised with what happened and what they wanted. I'm just glad you were there instead of your daughter. She may have never recovered from such a thing.

One question. Where did the reception take place? In a fancy venue or a VFW post?

Why would it matter where it took place?

Incidentally, there was no mention of how much 'they wanted to pay'. The event was his daughters first booking and with that in mind, I don't know of any dj that books their 1st event for alot of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ausumm
My daughter would have had to be on life support to get out of doing that one .. :)

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
Look at it this way. They wanted to pay a DJ $150 to do their wedding. What did you expect? I'm not surprised with what happened and what they wanted. I'm just glad you were there instead of your daughter. She may have never recovered from such a thing.

One question. Where did the reception take place? In a fancy venue or a VFW post?

It was outside at some guys farm. It was hot so the groom took off his shirt and was dancing in his wife beater T-shirt.

The venue mat
Why would it matter where it took place?

Incidentally, there was no mention of how much 'they wanted to pay'. The event was his daughters first booking and with that in mind, I don't know of any dj that books their 1st event for alot of money.
ter to me and especially doing it for that cheap a price. For me when it comes to doing events I like to know where the event is to take place. For me certain places I won't mess with. Let another DJ do that gig.

The venue matter to me and especially doing it for that cheap a price. For me when it comes to doing events I like to know where the event is to take place. For me certain places I won't mess with. Let another DJ do that gig.

As a vendor, I'm sure these questions were asked. Again, most people's 1st parties were most likely not expensive parties. This young girl, for her first show, would have made as much as you do on a show.

All that said, I've seen crazy parties at fancy places too and I've seen really nice parties at 'cheaper' venues.

There is a certain point monetarily to where the quality of the clientele typically falls off a cliff when it comes to weddings. I consider that point $300.

The $300 - $600 Clientelle are mixed. Often you find great clients as a DJ in that field, but you can come across some not so good ones either. However, the below $300 clientele...well I can say that I have never had a good experience working an under $300 wedding.

In 2007 I did a $150 wedding for a low income family who were friends with my sister. I even met with the bride/groom and their low income mother a few weeks before the gig. ...That wedding they had Boston Market cater it for $13 per person. Hard to get people to dance. Very little preparedness. Then a couple months after the wedding the bride/groom accused me of stealing a CD of theirs. ...They did bring 2 CDs to the wedding...which I did not take. They took them back with them. Anyway, That was the only $150 wedding I ever did, and only because my sister pushed me into doing it.

Today, I'd rather stay home than go and do a wedding where I am not earning at minimum $375. $375 and I will do a week day wedding, or a very local fire hall/American legion wedding on an open weekend date. I might do a wedding that nets me $375 after the agency took their commission out of the money, BUT even that has to be on a very slow off date.

Clientele who want to pay a DJ $150 to do a wedding screams trouble to me. Even $300 to go and do a wedding is not a good sign as to the character of the client, or the quality of the event at hand.

...The money is the number 1 qualifier for me. It has held true has my rates went up over the years. ...The $1,000 and above clientele have been the best group of clients I have worked with in 16 years.

Galager, if you don't mind me asking, what do you normally charge for a wedding?

I charge $200 for the first hour and $50 each hour after that with upcharges for things like dance lights, awning, and if I need to bring a second set of gear or move my gear. My average ticket is around $400 - $450. How about you?

We all love our children and I am no different... even when they do stupid things. She was so excited that she booked her first gig of her own that I wanted to support her. Little did I know this would turn into the gig from hell.

Reactions: ittigger
I charge $200 for the first hour and $50 each hour after that with upcharges for things like dance lights, awning, and if I need to bring a second set of gear or move my gear. My average ticket is around $400 - $450. How about you?

We all love our children and I am no different... even when they do stupid things. She was so excited that she booked her first gig of her own that I wanted to support her. Little did I know this would turn into the gig from hell.
Supporting her is wonderful, but you're a better man than I, as I just wouldn't have let her off the hook unless she was in the hospital. Seems like she made someone happy at your expense.

Two gigs stand out.
The first was early in my career.
During dinner, one of the groomsmen approaches me and
tells me the groom is the lead singer of a local rock band, and most of the groomsmen are in the band.
(He looked the part, so I wasn't surprised)
But also tells me the bride is a "BC girl". And went on to explain that "BC" stood for Box Car,
the name of a local girlie bar. The bride, and most of her bridesmaids, were stripper.
(She looked the part)
I swear, there was so much sexual tension at this gig,
that I would bet that if I had gone into overtime, the Police would had showed up.

The worst gig was the bride who wanted to pick every song I played in advance,
she also wanted me to play them in a specific order.
I followed her wishes, got paid, and went home an hour and a half early.
(yes, I did spend a lot of time trying to change her mind)

The worst gig was the bride who wanted to pick every song I played in advance,
she also wanted me to play them in a specific order.
I followed her wishes, got paid, and went home an hour and a half early.
(yes, I did spend a lot of time trying to change her mind)

That's brutal. I don't know what's worse, having to do that or knowing that most people in attendance thought you were a crappy DJ when it wasn't your fault.

That's brutal. I don't know what's worse, having to do that or knowing that most people in attendance thought you were a crappy DJ when it wasn't your fault.

She was an intern at the radio station I worked for.
That means I couldn't refuse the gig...
and it means she thought she knew ALL about music.
Funny. Her mom approached me at the end of the night,
asking about a refund.
I explained the whole situation,
and mom called her daughter a (expletive) and apologized.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Got a call the day before a wedding that was all paid up that the wedding planner had messed up on reserving the venue and it was no longer available. This bride had her heart set on this beach side venue that held 150-200 people . Her guest count was around that. She told me to stay tuned as the planner was trying to find an "alternate" site. She ( wedding planner) did find another site . It was a typical Holiday Inn type ballroom that held 100 at the max. It was also on the beach. Several guests had to sit outside most of the night. The room was cramped, and none of the lighting I had planned would even fit. The best I could do was put two little LED Moon flower lights on my speaker poles and I did a few up lights. There literally was no room for anything else. My table was on one side of the room and the dance floor was on the other side of the room. My table was also in the main walkway to the outside door, so people kept bumping the table all night and tripping over my speaker legs. Also, the wedding planner ran a catering company and was providing the food. She kept threatening the bride the entire night that she would take the food away if she complained again. I managed to get through the event and help the bride have a fun time.
Turned on the news maybe a month later and this same wedding planner was being arrested for fraud with another couple. They had given her 20,000 for a wedding and had nothing to show for it. I felt so bad.

Back in the 90's I booked an outdoor wedding where the bride/groom, wedding party and even the preacher rode to the alter on Harley's. The intro song was "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf and most of the music was Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special, ect. As the day turned to night the party got crazier & crazier as just about everybody there was drunk on moonshine and high on weed. This thing would have gone all night long if the cops wouldn't have showed up and shut everything down. Believe it or not, this biker crowd was one of the nicest most respectful group of people I've ever encountered.

Back in the early 90's I had a wedding reception in a fire hall where during the toast, the entire bridal party were chugging wine from bottles. After the toasts, the best man gave the bride a big smooch.

The groom got ticked off, stormed out of the room into the parking lot where he spent the entire reception locked in his car. Almost all the guests went out to convince him to return, but to no avail.

So I played music to about 20 people for two and a half hours and started to pack up at the end of my contracted time.

As I was doing this, the groom finally returned to an almost empty room and the bride went off on him - literally chasing him and hitting him with whatever she could find.

I quickly and quietly left...

Back in the 90's I booked an outdoor wedding where the bride/groom, wedding party and even the preacher rode to the alter on Harley's. The intro song was "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf and most of the music was Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special, ect. As the day turned to night the party got crazier & crazier as just about everybody there was drunk on moonshine and high on weed. This thing would have gone all night long if the cops wouldn't have showed up and shut everything down. Believe it or not, this biker crowd was one of the nicest most respectful group of people I've ever encountered.
I've done several biker parties, and you are correct they are the most help and kind groups I have ever dealt with

I charge $750, for up to 5 hours. I don't discount for less.

Luckily in 29 years I've only really had 1 bad one that comes to mind. A few years ago..... Farming family.....nice farm house.....country land ...Almond farm...to set the scene. Bride and groom just wanted a lot of JAY-Z. Cut to the wedding..... during the ceremony on the homes front steps..... bridesmaid passes out (couple doesn't even notice it).....I catch her as I'm close enough to rescue her and get her away and get some water and sitting. Later in the reception, the drunk Aunt continues to bombard me with "more Jay Z!" as I have 8-10 kids under the age of 10 yrs old all night on the dance floor. I explain how I play all the "clean" edits and remixes...and will even repeat to make them happy, but don't feel comfortable with kids so close with the dirty songs. Of course the Aunt gets worse and worse as time goes by. Long story short.....near the end of the night, Aunt gets physically CARRIED HOME (couldn't stand up)....and then Bride/Groom, parents, and bridal party.....bring out the mannequin! Yep...... A mannequin torso with a funnel in the head....in a bikini, and the tube came out of the crotch for the BEER BONG! All in front of the kids! Needless to say I packed up.....my wife said the thank you's and got the check......and we left.