Yes or No

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

redhotdj

Its 5 O'clock somewhere
Mar 21, 2008
Richfield Springs n.y.
What would you do. A few years back I did a wedding at this venue and a day before the event they got 25 0r so more people coming than planed. When we got there the manger wasn't nice at all. I ask where our spot was and she said right there. I looked at her and said really you want me to put my equipment and us in a spot where I don't even have room to stand, she said yup that's your spot. There was a table in front of me that people were sitting at that was maybe 2 foot away. Where I was sitting up there was my table me and maybe 12 inches then a wall. After the wedding I told my wife I would NEVER go back there again. Well I get a call the other day for a party guess where. The party is in February and in my area winter times gets real slow but the way the venue treated me I want nothing to do with them.

It all depends on how hungry you are for work. If I'm hungry, I'll swallow my pride, bend over and take it. If not, screw'em. Either way, if you decide to take the job, I would cover space requirements in my contract and let the client know that they must be agreed upon with the venue in advance.

Reactions: Ausumm and dunlopj
Lay out your location needs in your contract.

What Steve said my minimum space requirement as stated in my contract is 10x10 nad i go over this withe the venue coordinator also at the the planning meeting I have with the client at the venue, do I need that much space no not always, nut if I don't require it I end up in your situation

Do I need the money No. The wedding one I told the client I bring my own table, need outlet near buy etc. etc. You would think they should know how much room to leave.

Do I need the money No. The wedding one I told the client I bring my own table, need outlet near buy etc. etc. You would think they should know how much room to leave.
How would they know without being told a dj that has a podium system and a couple of Bose speakers his foot print would be very very small,

You would think they should know how much room to leave.

Ah, you assumed. Never assume. Spell it out in this contract, what the footprint is to be. If the venue operator tries her trick again, show your contract to the client and ask her to intervene. It might be fun watching the venue owner get her chops busted.

I would just stack up a couple of road cases and use that for my table for my controller. LOL

Oh yeah... I sure remember "those" house managers. :(

Adding a contract clause about necessary space or location is all well and fine. However, you're contracting with a client, not the venue. A house manager is under no obligation to honor an agreement that he or she is not a party to.

There's a better way. Since you already know the manager is a PITA, let the client know, too. She may not be aware of it. The client is contracting with the house; she can make known her wishes about where the DJ is to set up. All you really need to do is tell the client what you've told us. "We'd be honored to provide service at your wedding. Bear in mind, we had an unpleasant experience with this venue management in the past. He/she is not cooperative with vendors."

Ah, you assumed. Never assume. Spell it out in this contract, what the footprint is to be. If the venue operator tries her trick again, show your contract to the client and ask her to intervene. It might be fun watching the venue owner get her chops busted.

I also like what you are saying too, but this place has had entertainment before they should know how much room to leave.

When we got there the manger wasn't nice at all. I ask where our spot was and she said right there... where I don't even have room to stand.

Yes, I would work there again.
No, I would not just show up never having spoken to anyone at the venue.

It's possible for any manager to be annoyed when a DJ shows up with plenty of expectation, but no prior consultation.
There's not enough information to know if she's naughty or nice.

The world is full of quaint little venues with limited space where people are thrilled to hold their wedding reception. It's our job to know what we are walking into , and to let others know what they can expect from us.

I don't think you need a contract clause, just a phone number or email. :)

...they should know how much room to leave.

That's essentially expecting people to read your mind. Calling them uncooperative when they don't - isn't fair. Make the time and extend the courtesy to ask for what you want.

Last edited:
I have a couple of venues that I really avoid if at all possible. However, in Feb. I might be more likely to take it than in May. In May I'm confident I can book something else. In February I give off-peak rates... So, it would be more likely to accept a gig at a non-preferred location during that time period.

Reactions: ittigger
Performance, they had no room for me because of getting 25 more people than planed. The point is she didn't care about me.
The venue doesn't make anything on you .. they do on 25 new guests.

Performance, they had no room for me because of getting 25 more people than planed. The point is she didn't care about me.

Just my $0.02
If you hadn't made any prior contact with the venue, she cared at least as much as you did. :)

FYI:
We depend on the goodwill of other people and businesses to to do what we do. Never make the mistake of believing by virtue of your client you are entitled to the attention, care, time, or resources of other people or vendors. Be courteous and ask. Be grateful and say thank you. It's that easy.

Last edited:
Have you been this close to guests? The venue I did on Saturday had a maxed out room for the ceremony. The only spot I could set up in was in the back behind all the guests about 45-50 feet from the officiant/bride/groom. I brought my own 4 ft folding table with a black skirt and used a single speaker on a stand.

As you can see, I attempted to raise the receiver to my Shure BLX system by placing it on a laptop stand. ...I ended up actually placing the unit to my right on a window sill with a 10 ft. 1/4 inch mic cable which was in the middle of the isle for a clear line of sight. I had no issues at all with sound. 100% perfect audio signal.

It was claustrophobic having guests sitting right up on my table like this. ...To my right, the photographer/videographer set up a tripod for the video camera.
Gusts close at ceremony.jpg

For a February Wedding...It's really a call of how bad you want to do the gig and earn money. It's in February, and you live in New York...The odds of dealing with a big snow storm, and having to get to the gig are rather high. Last 2 years I had zero jobs in Febraury. Nothing on the books for this year either for that month.

I would book it myself, but you gotta take into consideration the odds you might have to deal with the snow as well. I hate dealing with snow and loading up and driving to a DJ gig and back. On top of that you said the lady at the venue was hard to deal with. If you know you will need the money...take it, and do your best to work with the venue manager...if not...I would pass on it.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
The venue doesn't make anything on you .. they do on 25 new guests.

you are oh so right she doesn't make anything on me, but she will lose in the long run cause I will and have told a lot of people about the event and how we were treated.

If you hadn't made any prior contact with the venue, she cared at least as much as you did.

I told the bride what we had and what we needed and she was meeting with the venue a week before and relayed the info.

If the venue manger had said to me sorry for the inconvenience or anything i wouldn't have a bad taste in my mouth about this place. All i got was heres your spot deal with it

you are oh so right she doesn't make anything on me, but she will lose in the long run cause I will and have told a lot of people about the event and how we were treated.

If you hadn't made any prior contact with the venue, she cared at least as much as you did.

I told the bride what we had and what we needed and she was meeting with the venue a week before and relayed the info.

If the venue manger had said to me sorry for the inconvenience or anything i wouldn't have a bad taste in my mouth about this place. All i got was heres your spot deal with it
I honestly can't believe you don't coordinate with the venue and other vendors prior to the event I always do, and they always appreciate it