Yes or No

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
We depend on the goodwill of other people and businesses to to do what we do. Never make the mistake of believing by virtue of your client you are entitled to the attention, care, time, or resources of other people or vendors. Be courteous and ask. Be grateful and say thank you. It's that easy.

Agreed.

Reactions: SEDJ
I agree that you should talk with the venue again, and explain your dilemma.
Of course, she will explain that the problem arose from the extra guests,
but it was also the reason she acted like "you didn't matter".
If the bride finds out she treated you badly, the bride would not care as much as if her GUESTS were treated poorly.
So, set up an appointment to talk with her, tell her you are being pro-active so the same thing doesn't happen...
and I'm pretty sure your actions will allow her to care about you again.

Reactions: ittigger
and you arrive the day of and don't have that space..now what?

leave? whine? ask for a raise? Throw a fit?

Venues do what they do..you can call, meet, whatever you want. The 'word' never (or rarely) gets to the people in charge of room setup.

What Steve said my minimum space requirement as stated in my contract is 10x10 nad i go over this withe the venue coordinator also at the the planning meeting I have with the client at the venue, do I need that much space no not always, nut if I don't require it I end up in your situation

Maybe there's a reason the transactions you had with the manager went wrong. Maybe she was distraught about the extra 25 guests? I would attempt to make contact with her, do a little schmoozing and get on her good side. You can at least give it a shot. She may not be as moody as she was the first time you had to deal with her.

I had one wedding a few years ago that didn't have adequate space for my set up. I ended up not bringing in my light tree because there just wasn't enough room. Surprisingly, the dance floor really rocked that night (without lighting).

Reactions: DJ TJ and dunlopj
I rarely call or visit any venue.
Not sure how people have time for it to be honest, especially those with day jobs.

I think i visited one venue this year...done a couple events 60-90 minutes drive each way - a visit would eat half a day...who pays for that? It adds 50% or more to the time you have in the gig.

and the one I did visit with the bride was a public park barn so no venue manager to ask. Did another similar setup and the bride wanted me in the loft on a 95F day..nope, i squeezed myself into a small area way too far from the dance floor - but no amount of arguing would change that (with bride's on-site person who also called the bride).

And rarely is it necessary.

Last edited:
I typically always call unless I've noted that the location doesn't want calls. Some calls are quick. Some don't want the bothered and some are thankful that I called. I do site visits when I can.

The manager may have handed it poorly, but if space was tight and they had 25 more guests than planned, I could understand why the location of the DJ was not high on her priority list. If she's a really poor manager, she may not even be there any longer.

i would contact the venue. Tell them the trouble you had and try to make sure you can come up with a solution that works well for all.

Some vendors, djs included, think they are the only one that matters. The reality is all vendors matter and have needs. On occasions, those needs conflict and vendors need to work together sometimes and make adjustments due to unforeseen circumstances.

There's a dj in my area that has almost come to blows with photographers and other vendors because they got in his way. It's ALWAYS their fault of course.

IF I went the month, week or day before what good would it do it was last minute they had 25 more people so all the planning went right out the window. IF she said sorry about this problem things would of gone a lot better. TREAT everyone with respect

IF I went the month, week or day before what good would it do it was last minute they had 25 more people so all the planning went right out the window. IF she said sorry about this problem things would of gone a lot better. TREAT everyone with respect
I guess if you knew the room layout and how it would be with the original count, knowing that 25 people (or 3-4 new tables) added would be an issue to discuss. If they didn't tell you about the 25 until you showed up, then pre-planning might not have helped. It's also possible the B/G just didn't realize what impact the people had and it probably wasn't in the interest of the venue to tell them (since they got the extra money regardless of how cramped it was). But knowing the venue layout might have started a conversation with the B/G about how tight it already originally.

Reactions: Ausumm
more than likely she would have remembered how you reached out to her and you would have received a phone call explaining the situation and possibly been able to help her work out a better solution for both of you. or at the very least you would have been prepared before arriving

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
and you arrive the day of and don't have that space..now what?

leave? whine? ask for a raise? Throw a fit?

I had one a few months ago at a barn venue. The venue mgr threw me into a tiny little space, and I had to set my mixer up behind a bar. At first, I flinched, but kept my mouth shut. It ended up being nice and cozy and hidden away. A very enjoyable gig after everything was said and done.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
Can always DJ off an iPad (DJay, Traktor, iTunes) and use Apple Airplay to send the signal to your laptop (running XBMC). This way you can DJ from the audience for those tight situations. Wireless mic not included.

Can always DJ off an iPad (DJay, Traktor, iTunes) and use Apple Airplay to send the signal to your laptop (running XBMC). This way you can DJ from the audience for those tight situations. Wireless mic not included.

Oooohhh...that sounds really cool and techy to us, but from a client or guests perspective...maybe not?

Oooohhh...that sounds really cool and techy to us, but from a client or guests perspective...maybe not?
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I've done similar for backyard parties where I don't really need to be at the controls, though I've used iTunes and iTunes remote. Will need to experiment with DJay/Traktor (I have both on the iPad) to XBMC (free home theater software) on a laptop. Can even ditch the laptop since I also have an Apple router/Airplay client.

Heck...in a year or so, just bring a Google Home unit, hook it up to some speakers and as long as there's wi-fi, you've got a backyard party. Heck it'll even take verbal requests!

Reactions: ittigger
What I don't get is...
There is always a limit on how many people you stick in a room for an event.
Sometimes it's determined by the Fire Marshall, sometimes it's self-imposed by the venue.
I guess they weren't at their legal limit, and pushing their own "standards" wasn't as important as pissing off a client.
Also, I always hear how brides need to supply a "final head count" weeks in advance.
Guess that's a deadline that doesn't REALLY exist.

TREAT everyone with respect

IMHO you're not demonstrating any practice of what you preach.

You expect the venue to anticipate what you want and cater to your needs without any prior discussion.
You expect the bride to be a messenger for you and provide 2nd hand news about your job to the venue.
You are bad mouthing another business because they didn't meet your unexpressed expectations.
Your complaining that 25 more people came to someone else's event.

That's a whole lot of entitlement baggage you're carrying, and if you also telegraph that to a manager in person it would explain the cold reception.