Weddings Yet Another Prospective Wedding Client Asked to See Me in Action

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ducky

Resident Duck
Mar 21, 2008
West Lafayette, IN
ampindiana.com
I had another prospective wedding client call last night and one of her questions was if she could peek in on an event. Is there a website or magazine that is recommending stuff like this? I've been wondering where that question comes from. Typically, when I put it into the perspective of professionalism and the whole idea of well what if someone crashed her wedding, the point is taken. I'm just wondering where this idea comes from. :sqconfused::sqerr:

Yea, many magazines still recommend this. Some will say to ask for a video if this is not possible.

I had another prospective wedding client call last night and one of her questions was if she could peek in on an event. Is there a website or magazine that is recommending stuff like this? I've been wondering where that question comes from. Typically, when I put it into the perspective of professionalism and the whole idea of well what if someone crashed her wedding, the point is taken. I'm just wondering where this idea comes from. :sqconfused::sqerr:
It comes from uninformed, inexperienced, selfish, and typically self appointed bridal advice experts.

While there are many things equal, there in nothing more unprofessional, improper, self serving, and revealing than inviting a stranger to an event of which you are NOT the host.

I have seen many venues do it and I purposefully warn brides during presentations and consults of my experiences. More than once, it has influenced a client's venue decisions.

Your best answer is to make a video. I explain to prospects that most of my events are private. In that the event te peospect is considering me for is private, I am sure they wouldn't want heads poking in throught the event to see what I look like!

You might consider approaching a local videographer and have him video a couple of your events in exchange for networking consideration.
I have found that having videos on my web site definitely quenches the thirst of the prospect who needs to see my show in action.

Another thing you can do is to participate in local charitable events, where the event is open to the publc, and of course, Bridal Shows and Sweet Sixteen Showcases and such.

DJ Ducky : While in our minds we think allowing an outsider to peek into another person's wedding is invasive, tacky, and flat awful, many of today's marrying age clients don't give a damn about anyone or anybody but themselves. Wedding crashing logic will not work with these types. All they hear is you saying , "No." In reading your other posts regarding your search for a wedding DJ, I'm sure you're highly tuned into what you want. Use your personal experiences to off sell yourself.

Just for giggles, here's another approach that might prove more successful primarily because you never said, "No."

Answer the question with a question.

"We'd like to come and see you work."

"What are you looking to see?" Opens up another whole (and potentially crucial) dialogue. Run with this all the way. Counter tough questions with even tougher ones of your own. Subtly invoke logic while never saying, "No."

If equipment, have photos ready. If voice presentation, tell them how you talk. If music selection, explain how each client's tastes are always taken into consideration and no two events are ever the same.

Finally, if after every deflection they remain adamant, pull the trump card out. For example:

"I understand your concern which, after we've talked about, remains. I'm sorry I wasn't able to put your fears to rest. Once or twice a year a client is resolute in an on-site audition. Out of respect for my clients, their families, and friends, it is my policy not to allow outside uninvited parties to a private event I'm hosting. Thank you for your time and trouble, and I wish you the best in your entertainment search."

Yep, terminate the meeting immediately. Don't waste another precious moment. These types hate being blown off more than being told No. They will recommend the solution that will bridge this issue, or, they'll get up and leave which is probably a good thing for your career.

Once in a great while I will mention that if they want an audition, they must contractually allow them at theirs. While I personally feel better about this squeeze tactic, it has never worked.

Cap, just two things. Be careful!

First off, I would allow that clause in my contract, no problem. I was just want approval of the number of prospective clients and for them to know they would not be provided with catering.

Second, I don't mind people coming to see me work. In fact as long as they ask before hand (and even if they don't) I encourage it.

So be careful. If you mean 'no' say 'no'. Don't beat around the bush because you could end up with someone calling your bluff.

Mike

Mike : Thank you for your concern. With a quarter century of full-time mobile DJ career experience, my Seven C's * have evolved to finely tuned system to fit my business model and marketing strategies.

You will also observe, as your forum experience and delightful participation grows and continues here on OurDJTalk, beating around or faking a bush just ain't gonna happen from me.

( Cap Capello's Carefully Cleverly Crafted Client Condoms ) View attachment ani-mini-hahaa.gif

In my early oblivious early days, on-site auditions were also encouraged. Then, the inevitable idiots. Coming into the room wearing shorts. Coming into the room, and engaging me in conversation at the worst possible time. Coming into the room, Bride and Mom alongside me, Dad goes to the open bar. Then four perspectives show up at the same event, same time. I sincerely hope you will never have to learn the negative career impact potential of on-site auditions the hard way. Our business policies are different. Vive la diff !

I simply invite them to a PUBLIC event in the near future I will be DJ'ing. A few months ago, I had a large bull roast, and a potential bride asked the "I want to see you" question. I presented her with this option and offered to pay for her ticket.

Her and her fiance' came to the event, had a great time (didn't stay but an hour or so), but gave me a retainer check before they left. I had time between songs to chat to them.

And yes, I did ask my bull roast client if this would be OK. She said great - more tickets sold. It was a worthwhile $40 investment that turned into a $800 reception.

They simply wanted to see I was not some slimy jerk of a DJ. Guess I fooled 'em, huh?

But no, I would NEVER allow them to attend any private event.

I simply invite them to a PUBLIC event in the near future I will be DJ'ing. A few months ago, I had a large bull roast, and a potential bride asked the "I want to see you" question. I presented her with this option and offered to pay for her ticket.

Her and her fiance' came to the event, had a great time (didn't stay but an hour or so), but gave me a retainer check before they left. I had time between songs to chat to them.

And yes, I did ask my bull roast client if this would be OK. She said great - more tickets sold. It was a worthwhile $40 investment that turned into a $800 reception.

They simply wanted to see I was not some slimy jerk of a DJ. Guess I fooled 'em, huh?

Sounds like a great compromise!

Mike

DJ Ducky : Just for giggles, here's another approach that might prove more successful primarily because you never said, "No."

Answer the question with a question.

"We'd like to come and see you work."

"What are you looking to see?" Opens up another whole (and potentially crucial) dialogue. Run with this all the way. Counter tough questions with even tougher ones of your own. Subtly invoke logic while never saying, "No."
Tru dat.

Always avoid "No" unless there is not an alternative but be firm in your prohibition against such activity.

I have seen the negative results of failing to deliver 100% effort to the paying customer by surreptitiously using another's event as an opportunity to sell potential clients.

Mike : Thank you for your concern. With a quarter century of full-time mobile DJ career experience, my Seven C's * have evolved to finely tuned system to fit my business model and marketing strategies.

You will also observe, as your forum experience and delightful participation grows and continues here on OurDJTalk, beating around or faking a bush just ain't gonna happen from me.

( Cap Capello's Carefully Cleverly Crafted Client Condoms ) View attachment ani-mini-hahaa.gif

In my early oblivious early days, on-site auditions were also encouraged. Then, the inevitable idiots. Coming into the room wearing shorts. Coming into the room, and engaging me in conversation at the worst possible time. Coming into the room, Bride and Mom alongside me, Dad goes to the open bar. Then four perspectives show up at the same event, same time. I sincerely hope you will never have to learn the negative career impact potential of on-site auditions the hard way. Our business policies are different. Vive la diff !

I have never had a problem with it. Then again, I have tons of video and pictures too, which seems to do the trick.

Mike

I too have had that opportunity and have utilized a public event to meet a potential client. I did not have an extended conversation or consult on the potential event just a polite introduction and maybe a round of drinks.

However, that is not the same as or even remotely close to inviting a prospective client to a purely private event. The scenario that is the subject of this thread is a Bride requesting an invitation to review for a private Wedding reception.

I too have had that opportunity and have utilized a public event to meet a potential client. I did not have an extended conversation or consult on the potential event just a polite introduction and maybe a round of drinks.

However, that is not the same as or even remotely close to inviting a prospective client to a purely private event. The scenario that is the subject of this thread is a Bride requesting an invitation to review for a private Wedding reception.

Really? I don't see that anywhere in the original post. It just said that she wanted to peek in on an event.

Mike

I had another prospective wedding client call last night and one of her questions was if she could peek in on an event.
^ ^ ^

We do no means no means no means no. Ive actually used caps idea about charging for a personal audition the client thought it was absolutely crazy but booked anyways (the wedding not the audition) we won't do this period. No looksees etc.

We had one case where the planner went ahead and did a looksee anyway because she knew we would be djing an event at the same venue a week before. We had already booked this bride and she still wanted a looksee we told her NO and she went behind our backs with the planner. Heres the problem and a potential problem for anyone who wants to do a looksee.

The wedding the planner and the bride looked in on was a very Contempo/emoish rockstar type wedding the groomsmen all wore those t-shirts with the tuxedos drawn on and they gave our dj and djs assistant the same thing.

Dress demanded by client for this wedding:
- Tuxedo t-shirt
- black jeans
- chuck taylors (original chucks not target brand)
of course this really cool bride and groom furnished the chucks for us they collect them.

so the planner and bride arrive unbeknownst to us and knowing nothing about the wedding.

Crowd is jumping to a mix between marilyn manson and tainted love.

so now the following Monday i hear about this and have to spend a half hour ensuring this bride that this is what the other bride and groom wanted...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Need another one i have it.

when i was general manager at Creative in Baltimore/DC we had a potential bride and groom want to see us in action well we ended up taking them to a wedding of the grooms arch enemy, like way bad three of the groomsmen wanted to kick his ass.

we had to refund money to the client and lost the potential

again these are extremes so now if they want a looksee they can go with another company. PERIOD...

I also had this happen several times this year, and since I almost never have a "public event", I offered them contact info of previous clients that have agreed to provide a reference.

As a matter of fact, I just finished booking a corporate holiday party where the client also ask if she could come see me somewhere soon. I told her that all the events between now and their party were weddings and receptions and since they were private events I could not invite them to come in to see me. I offered her a couple of references, but she said that wouldn't be needed. Just got a signed contract back from her in email about 5 minutes ago.