Weddings Your Ending Contract Time VS. The Venue's???

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Where in your contract does it state specifically how a customer is to make changes to the date, time, location and what your excepted methods are to notify and do a cancellation?

The Terms and Conditions (listed below the "Contract" part) are on the reverse side of the contract. This is where it clearly explains that the agreement must be modified in writing and agreed to by both parties.

"18. This agreement is not binding until signed by both Client and DJ, and by signing, each party certifies that they have received a completed copy of it. Any changes must be written and signed by both the Client and the DJ. Oral agreements are non-binding."

And also:

(Item 16) "This contract constitutes the sole and only agreement between the parties hereto and currently sets forth the rights, duties, and obligations of each to the other, as of this date. Any prior statements, agreements, promises, or inducements made by any party hereto, or agent or representative or either party hereto, which are not expressly set forth in this agreement, are of no force and effect and shall not be considered valid or binding. This contract shall not be enlarged, modified, or altered except in writing by both parties."

Pretty Black and white then as to start/stop times and how to make changes should the need arise.

From a strict form and formula stand point, could you explain why you have the clients sign in the top third of the agreement with most of the "legal meat" below their signatures (even though you have that mini-sign off? Why aren't all the articles listed and the signature line at the end where most traditional contracts require signatures??

I only have them sign in one place, i.e., the bottom. They initial right above to acknowledge that they read an understand the Terms and Conditions on the reverse that include, among other things, that changes to the contract are required in writing, what happens if I cancel , etc. OHHHH.... I see what you're saying now. It looks on that page like I have them signing towards the top because on my website you're actually looking at the front and back of the contract! :sqbiggrin: The section called "Terms and Conditions" is actually printed on the back. That's why (I think) you thought I was having them sign in the niddle of the contract!

I enjoy reading your material as well although sometimes I get the feeling you underestimate the width and breadth of talent and experience of those to whom who you're posting for, or at, or to.

Well, if I ever come off as condecencing or preachy, my apologies. That is not the intent at all. I simply try my best offer input and suggestions based on my own limited experience, talent, etc. I've found through years of online discussion (not just dj forums by any means) that things can sometimes be better served and explained by going back a few steps or going to the beginning to put my suggestions, ideas, or whatever in the proper context. It doesn't mean I think any less of the people reading, I just think that sometimes it provides a better footing, and often avoids a serious of back and forth question/answer posts for clarification. That's all. My apologies if this approach seems off-putting.

In this instance, it seems there was subjectivity and room for interpretation (at the least on the customer's side) as to AMS's start/stop time and billing procedures, and I'm not exactly sure how much of the subjectivity was just supposed by the client, or how much could have been injected OR AVOIDED by the contract verbiage and dj communication that took place. I'm just trying to look at both sides and frame my comments and responses accordingly.

I'm perfectly willing to admit to everyone here I've only been dj'ing for four and a half years now, and though I have had several changes in event times and whatnot with clients, I have never had any disputes, problems with interpretation, people not willing to pay, etc. I can hardly be blamed then for feeling that my practices, while not by any means "the right way" let alone the "only way" to do things, are in fact effective at avoiding such obstacles. My approach, which is much like yours from what I have gathered, is a more laid-back one when it comes to start/stop and a few extra minutes here and there. That coupled with a black-and-white (no room for interpretation) contract has made life pretty smooth sailing so far!

It takes two to tango, and for every misunderstanding that takes place, and for every client that has their "understanding" of the situation that causes issues, there is another party (us) who might have done a different or better job at heading off the confusion through contracts and pre-event communication. But we all know that! The contract is your "due diligence," and will see you covered if done properly - most often when there's an issue, its likely to be in our verbal communication and pre-event practices which can always stand improvement and is where we can go "above and beyond" to avoid ugliness:) Often-times, that extra effort can be as simple as a reiteration to them verbally of all of those details, policies, and procedures that "we know they signed and agreed to" already. ie "Thank you for sending in your desposit, I look forward to working with you. Just remember, if there are any changes from what we have talked about so far, just get them to me in writing before the event and we'll go from there!"

It can be all to tempting for us to just stop at the "due-diligence" step and assume (even if rightfully so) that the client "should know better." Effective communication is the most important aspect of what we all do, so we need to use those tools and not just our contracts, to let our clients know ahead of time what WE expect of THEM! Being the one's paying, it's easy for them to forget THEY have responsibilities in the relationship too that go above and beyond "just paying the bill."

Of course there is always "that one client" that just isn't happy unless they're unhappy, and the one's that are just plain pig-headed and unreasonable, and maybe this was just a case of one or both of these.