Weddings Your "Normal" Guest Count @ Weddings?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Number Of Guests at your Weddings

• 2-40

Votes: 75 100.0%
  • 41-85

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 86-119

• 120-203

• 204-257

• 257 and more

• Total voters

Chuck The DJ

I know people.
Sep 28, 2006
Sebastopol, California
www.chuckthedj.com
As most of you know, here on Maui I do mostly destination weddings and events.

Most of my weddings are right around 40 people, I did one last Sunday for 16 people...

So I was wondering, what is the average range of guests at your weddings?

BTW, IMO, these small weddings are why I can't charge what I would like..... back in the day 200 guests at a wedding were not uncommon.... my own wedding had about 225.

Harder to justify $795 on 50 - 75 guests at many of my weddings, I guess.

I still get my $800.00 doesn't matter what size of the wedding. You are not charging for the number of people or the gear needed, you are charging for "YOU"

I still get my $800.00 doesn't matter what size of the wedding. You are not charging for the number of people or the gear needed, you are charging for "YOU"

Big difference, IMO... Hawaii IS expensive, and people know that. The people who use you are frequently going through an agency, and have more expensive tastes. "Destination" weddings are never on the cheap.

But this is the same here in Sacramento area. Size will only be a factor if it means WAY more sound equipment, add-ons, etc.

For a std 4hr wedding reception with no "extras," I'm getting my $750 whether there are 5 people sitting around a table drinking, or 200 peeps.

The number of people who might actually be on the other side of my table doesn't change what I do or how I do it, either before or during an event.

So the fee is the same. If they have a smaller crowd, I'm likelier to get the gig anyway all other things being equal because my pricing is pretty much smack-dab in the middle for a professional service provider in my area. So if they're "watching costs" because they ARE having a smaller crowd, etc., my rate will seem pretty attractive to them.

But this is the same here in Sacramento area. Size will only be a factor if it means WAY more sound equipment, add-ons, etc.

For a std 4hr wedding reception with no "extras," I'm getting my $750 whether there are 5 people sitting around a table drinking, or 200 peeps.

The number of people who might actually be on the other side of my table doesn't change what I do or how I do it, either before or during an event.

So the fee is the same. If they have a smaller crowd, I'm likelier to get the gig anyway all other things being equal because my pricing is pretty much smack-dab in the middle for a professional service provider in my area. So if they're "watching costs" because they ARE having a smaller crowd, etc., my rate will seem pretty attractive to them.

I agree. But you may be missing my point. Let's just say you charge $800. The client certainly has more room to pause and think, I only have 50 people at the event... that is $16 PP for music. But if they have 200, then it is only $4 PP.

I DJ and I wouldn't pay ANYBODY $800 to DJ a 50 person event unless I could write it off. Imagine what non DJs - with normal amounts of cash - must think.

Mine range from 150 to 225. Always seems once the meal is over we lose around about a quarter of the people...they just show for the food and leave.

I DJ and I wouldn't pay ANYBODY $800 to DJ a 50 person event unless I could write it off. Imagine what non DJs - with normal amounts of cash - must think.

Interesting....The thing is it doesn't cost you any less time or expense to play a 50 person or a 200 person party though

Thinkin terms of your day job if there are 100,000 people watching TV on a Thursday should you work for less than on Friday when there is 250,000?

BTW my guest count is usually in the 150+ range

I agree. But you may be missing my point. Let's just say you charge $800. The client certainly has more room to pause and think, I only have 50 people at the event... that is $16 PP for music. But if they have 200, then it is only $4 PP.

Nah, I get your point, but it's the perception on part of the client thats out of whack in that scenario. Do I bring less equipment for 50ppl than 200? Nah. Less music? No. Do I leave half of my body/brain at home on the couch? No.

So why a different rate?

So I don;t have to dismiss tables to the buffet in the 50ppl scenario - does that really transfer in enough difference in work for us to justify hundreds off of a rate/package price?

Most this year are around 120-150. Last week was 230.

My most expensive wedding this year is for 60 ppl. Close to 2K.

The wedding I have in 2 weeks is for 50 people for the area my price is 850 dollars. They are from the Bay Area no problem it only gets more costly up there. My service for a 50 person wedding is the same for a 200 person wedding. So my price does not change. Now if it where 500 people I would seriously have to bring more equipment then I might charge a little more.

And sorry papa I'm hoping they would think the same thing that the 300 person wedding would think. "Hey this boyz got skillz" "What an awesome DJ" "This guys is the best DJ I have ever seen". You know the stuff that we all hear once in awhile. This Saturday Guest count is 250 I love those wedding because even if you get 1/2 the people on the floor thats 125 folks. Last week was 150 you got to love this stuff. )

we only have two or three halls that can handle 200+ people.
most weddings are a little over or a little under 100 guests.

I whole-heartedly agree with Nex Gen
I LOVE the 300 guest weddings for the same reason you do.

but I have to say
they are not nearly as responsive as a smaller crowd.
it's more personal
you get to know each of the guests a little better
and in a smaller venue, every guest notices everything you do

the bigger crowds sometimes get the "mob mentality"
and may not treat you as nice

My wedding tomorrow is for 36 peeps... They hired me through a wedding coordinator who went through my agent.... so I am betting they are paying somewhere around 2 grand for me,,, I am bring 1 BOSE stick and 2 lights...

Chuck...I usually only bring in one stick and 1 sub as well. Guest count is between 80 and 150. Once in a while it is more and sometimes less but for the most part....it falls into the range listed.
As to price..(which this thread was not about but people decided to chime in anyway)
$1300 base with prices going up from there depending on needs.