Weddings Your usual reception/contract time?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I've been thinking for some time now about this, my usual Wedding with ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner and dancing is about 6 hours and they usually work great because is basically all under the same roof, there's no traveling, it's all a success.

5 Hour Weddings also work great with no Ceremony, keep in mind people have already traveled from the Ceremony destination to the venue.

Now I'm finding that a 6 hour straight reception, with no ceremony, seems to drag on and on.

What would be the most popular and successful package in hours(actual working) that you do?

I guess what I'm tryint to find out is that is 5 Hour enough for a successful reception or 6?

It's been shown time and time again that wedding reception timing is very regional in it's entire process.

The answer to your question lies in a thorough investigation of your specific area of operation, the places you frequent, and then make a policy change that adapts your preferences into the larger picture.

One option that seems to universally work is to charge extra for whatever you don't like. 5 hours is fine, 6 is bad? Charge extra for the 6th hour. A BIG extra fee. Most often, that'll eliminate any p.i.t.a extra time BUT would be worth your time if they paid the freight.

85% of the weddings we do are 6 hours.

1 hour cocktail
.5 intros, toasts, blessings, cake cutting
1.5 dinner
3 hours dancing

Most of my weddings are about 5 hours. The high as been 7 hours. I hate 7 hour weddings. Pay is good.

See? In Scotty's Cleveland area, it's 6 hours. In Ruben's it's 5.

Here in my little niche, it's four. Cocktail hour is a billable extra. Anything after the four hour reception (not including the cocktail hour option) is a billable option at twice the cocktail hour rate.

Most upscale halls here have a five hour package, with the cocktail hour taking place in a totally separate room with their own muzak systems. These halls also charge a significant fee for anything beyond the five hours. The fraternal halls (VFWs, Fire Houses, American Legion) and the Mom & Pops are generally unlimited time because it's the only way they attract mid-end clients who have tighter budgets.

Again, don't wanna do the 6th and/or 7th hours? Charge extra.

Around here the norm is 7 hours without ceremony and 9-10 with. Ceremonies are usually at 3 and then cocktails at 5, dinner at 6 and open dancing starts at 9 and ends at 1am. I do a lot of off site ceremonies but there are more facilities re-designing to be full service and have the ceremonies on site.
I charge extra for off site ceremonies and the extra equipment needed. I also charge extra for more hours of dinner/cocktail music.

young...

Here in North Alabama, most receptions are 4 hours. I have had one 8 hour, and a couple of 6 hours, and a couple of 2-3 hour ones.

Overall 90% are 4 hours.

Mike

Also, make sure any "Extra" considerations are addressed in the contract, including "Can we go over" or "can you show up early" requests.

I've been thinking for some time now about this, my usual Wedding with ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner and dancing is about 6 hours and they usually work great because is basically all under the same roof, there's no traveling, it's all a success.

5 Hour Weddings also work great with no Ceremony, keep in mind people have already traveled from the Ceremony destination to the venue.

Now I'm finding that a 6 hour straight reception, with no ceremony, seems to drag on and on.

What would be the most popular and successful package in hours(actual working) that you do?

I guess what I'm tryint to find out is that is 5 Hour enough for a successful reception or 6?

My average with ceremony is six hours.

My package is now up to six hours and it includes ceremony and reception but I will only do the ceremony if it is at the same location.

My norm is 5 hours.

.5 HR Cocktails
.5 hr Entrance and etc.
1 hr Dinner
3 hr Dancing

I only do maybe 4 weddings a year with Ceremony the are generally 6.5 to 7 hours.

.5 hr Guest Arrival
.25 hr Wedding
1.75 hr downtime / Cocktails while Bridal party gets pictures
.5 hr Entrance Etc.
1 hr Dinner
3 hr dancing

Here in New Jersey, New York City, and Eastern Pennsylvania, the normal wedding reception is 5 hours, 6 with the ceremony.

The cost of the DJ Entertainer is really not a major factor in the decision to have a 5 or 6 hour event. In my region, its the catering hall costs that determine the length.

Just this past Saturday night for example, I was doing a Sweet 16 party and it was going very well. The client asked me about staying an extra hour, I told him no problem, $250 extra, and it has to be sanctioned by the catering hall manager.

Well, the manager told the client that the extra hour would cost him $2000.
The client nearly dropped dead. Needless to say, we didn't get to stay an extra hour.

The majority for my area run 5 to 6 hours from guest arrival/cocktail hour to finish